Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

• 1 month later...

Welp, this year has been slow in the shop.  The flu this year has been particularly rough on our workforce.  Many call offs and sick days means the rest of us are working and covering more than usual.  I was able to get a bit of progress.  No longer looking like a bulk cargo container carrier when upright.  The redone rear planking came out pretty well.  A small spacer jig was used to set up the flying transom worked well.  The hardest part so far was trimming the bottom planks evenly in a graceful curve up from the transom to the flying transom. I did leave just a bit of extra plank sticking out on the rear of the flying transom and will sand them flush once the cap rail is installed.  Still need to add the little rectangle planks.  Next stop is to sand the top of the frames down flush so the caprail sits nicely.  Then will add the rectangles.

IMG_1818.jpeg.ee749c9e327857e7124c5c75d73237cf.jpeg

Michael, that looks great, looking forward to moving my QAB forward as well soon so I can follow in your footsteps 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Michael...that is looking really fantastic.  Nice work.  The scary is part is now done with.  The remainder of the build is lots of fun.  I hope you enjoy it!!

Thank you Jason.  More QAB is always good.

Thank you Chuck, so far it has been great.  It is a very well designed kit.  Looking forward to spending more time in the shop.

Was able to get the caprail on.  Instructions were very good especially the reminders to check the smoothness of the tops of the frames.  Took a few revisions until it matched nicely.  Just started to sand the outside flush and then the big job of sanding down the inner caprail and frames.

In other news the Governor just cancelled all schools in the state for 3 weeks starting Monday.  Luckily the Admiral is a teacher so we don't have to scramble for childcare like so many others.  Talk about a freekin panic.  She just came home from the grocery and says it was an absolute madhouse

IMG_1821.thumb.jpeg.b79dac2a1c8f955e2852fee1438d8f39.jpeg

That looks great!!!!   I have everyone home also.....I hope we dont kill each other.  I will just hide in my shop until its over.  

Chuck

35 minutes ago, Chuck said:

That looks great!!!!   I have everyone home also.....I hope we dont kill each other.  I will just hide in my shop until its over.  

Chuck

If people are stocking up on toilet paper that means you might have a run on rope/blocks.  You might end up being even busier... If that's even possible

So they just closed all the bars and restaurants here in Ohio so more shop time for sure.  

Taking down the inner frames and the caprail takes a bunch of time and a soft touch.  

IMG_1825.jpeg.8bc7522dde2ebbbff692b0a0b31c122a.jpeg

getting there...

3 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Taking down the inner frames and the caprail takes a bunch of time and a soft touch.  

Well done, Michael. The build process of the Queen Anne Barge is very similar to the Medway Longboat I'm building. I think the QAB will be on my tick list. It's a beautiful model.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Bob it really is a nicely designed model.  Hope to see you build one.  

Even I haven't messed it up yet 🤪.  The Medway Longboat looks equally as nice.  It could be in my future at some point.

1 hour ago, MEDDO said:

The Medway Longboat looks equally as nice.  It could be in my future at some point.

It's a wonderful model. I've slowed down to a snail's pace learning how to do the rigging but I think I will get there eventually...I hope... 🥺

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Quick question.  I am thinning down the caprail to the recommended 5/64 width and am now getting to the bow section.  In the picture you can faintly see the lines I have marked for that width.  How far to that line should I go?  All the way?  Part of the way?  Does it matter for something later on?

IMG_1829.thumb.jpeg.1283754450e3ed230fc83657911edec5.jpeg

Thanks all

Keep in mind the molding has been added in this photo.  But it shows the cap pretty well.  Its pretty consistent almost all the way to the stem but then just before you get to the stem leave a bit of meat just aft of the stem.  Hope this helps.

earon.jpg

Floors in.  Had to keep sanding down the frames until it fit at the appropriate level.  Fitting the very fore floor was the most difficult part but went smoothly.

IMG_1833.jpeg.039d50289d023fe7e9af3cd98f276ff0.jpeg

Going to WOP the floors and let dry overnight.

Deo Volente

Looks real good Michael.  I cannot wait to see it with the WOP on it.  It will really bring out the beauty of the Cherry wood.

Glad to see you have some time to work on this project as I know you must have some huge challenges at work.  You guys are my hero's during this crisis and I appreciate all that you are doing for the public.  Just be careful and stay well.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks Ryland.  I tis nice to have some time to work in the shop.  

So I was planning to take 12 days off starting next week for an extended spring break including a campout with the boys and a 7 day cruise.  Obviously both canceled right now.  Over the last few days many of our shifts have been cancelled or shortened.  We have seen a 40% drop in patient volume over last few days here.  Finally people are getting the word that you don't have to run to the ED for every little thing such as a paper cut (saw last week), black spot at edge of toenail 2 weeks after stubbed toe (saw last month), rash been there for 3 years etc.  We are not even close to making budget for the few physicians who have to be there to cover.  This definitely will not last though so I need to get all the rest in now cause soon enough the patients are going to start flooding in.  We also expect to loose a large portion of our Docs, PAs and NPs to illness so its gonna be <excellent>!!!  

As Major Payne says  "Well, guess what ya'll got coming!  Seven 23-hour days full of fun and adventure!"

400.jpeg.24b7694e5b7d8e9011962ed662f5ae97.jpeg

Except it is not gonna be just a week..........

Deo Volente

Superb work. I really like the smoothness of the caprail. She will become really beautiful.

Take care of yourself and your family during this difficult time !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Yes, when the Medway Longboat will be finished, I will start the 'Cheerful' cutter. I'm a big fan of the Syren Company kits ! The Frigate 'Winchelsea' also occupies my thoughts. 😉

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

4 hours ago, JpR62 said:

Yes, when the Medway Longboat will be finished, I will start the 'Cheerful' cutter. I'm a big fan of the Syren Company kits ! The Frigate 'Winchelsea' also occupies my thoughts. 😉

Me too.  The Winchelsea group project was literally released 2 weeks after I got my Cheerful wood package.  Back then I thought I would have more time to work on the barge...  

Lotsa progress on the model over last few days.  I added some WOP last night and the cherry really does look nice.

IMG_1837.jpeg.85cdce8b6e773f39834ae62a6934a93b.jpeg

Tried some test nails just to see how deep I had to drill.  Seemed pretty straightforward.  Also added some Windsor & Newton crimson in 2 quick coats just to see what it looked like.  No real prep of the surface just a quick color check

IMG_1836.thumb.jpeg.c78b2f7c9fbf16b98405fa127f1bef0b.jpeg

Gorgeous build, Michael! All of the Syren kits are so tempting!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

8 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Thanks Bob.  With the barge, longboat, Cheerful and the Win Syren is becoming a major player.  Love it!

....and the Winnie? 🤔

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

2 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Win = Winchelsea :)

That one is so beautiful I'm a little intimidated by it given my current skills!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

The kit is so well designed and the instructions so well written that it makes it a breeze even with my limited skill set.  The build logs here also give lots of good tips and the additional pictures are a great resource

2 hours ago, MEDDO said:

The kit is so well designed and the instructions so well written that it makes it a breeze even with my limited skill set.  The build logs here also give lots of good tips and the additional pictures are a great resource

It might just have to happen although it's about as big as my work space which would present a challenge.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: