Flag Ship Models Question

RBohlman

I found this vendor online and as a CW buff I like the look of some of the models they market.

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or have built any of their models?

https://flagshipmodels.com/

Thanks ~ Rich

Edited by RBohlman
change typo

CURRENT BUILD:

HMS Winchelsea, 1764 ~ 1:48 scale

COMPLETED BUILDS:

New Bedford Whaleboat ~ 1:16 scale

Ships in Bottles Models

Card Stock Nautical Models

~Donor & Member of Nautical Research Guild~

I can’t speak for the company itself or most of its products. But I did click on the link and noticed this cd they are selling, advertised as a how-to on ship rigging. Which is hilarious since I had stumbled upon this cd on eBay and was AMAZED at all the very obvious blunders visible in the COVER PHOTO of the publication. The eBay listing had photos of some of the cds contents and I saved them. It illustrates the point that anyone can claim to be an expert, there’s no official criteria that has to be met before one can claim expertise on ship model rigging and publish a book.

24A3E726-B0B3-4E49-A4D0-5B417732DF91.png

A4C5B3CC-E94A-4CD1-9FE6-1392ECA6F1EC.jpegNot too much obviously wrong in this cover photo but hasn’t he accidentally switched the Main and the Fore? Lol.

86AB0C56-8315-4DA3-8562-64B349EE542C.jpegThis photo is AMAZING. I’m prepared to say that nearly every scrap of rigging in this photo is wrong. But to someone who’s never learned about rigging? They would assume this book was going to show them the proper way. 

B68CE241-CCE1-4819-84B6-4733AFE92B61.jpegUnder the title “sheet storage” this guy appears to think the footropes are for “storing” the sails?   He appears to think the Gaff is called “The mizen sailcloth boom”! And look at the topmast shrouds in figure 17. 

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Flagship Models is a mfg of (mainly) top notch resin civil war era ships and they are a former sponsor of this forum.  I forget who did up the master for the fighting top kit and the other two in that series but they got very favorable review when they were first released.  I have built a couple of the Civil War gunboat kits and they are great kits.  He's got a line of Civil War figures that can be used on any ships of that era.

Rusty White is the owner of Flagship and it looks like he's recently provided space for some other CDs to be sold.  The review above of the rigging CDs is what it is.  His own CDs are good as I have seen them and own two.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The model kits can also be found on eBay.  They show some closeups of finished model details, and they don't look very good IMO..

CSS Virginia for example..

P.S.

Just saw Kurt's post; perhaps some kits are better than others...

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

They show some closeups of finished model details, and they don't look very good IMO.

Can't always trust display models as indicators of kit quality. We have many examples here at MSW of finished models that look far better than the ones shown in their kits' box illustrations.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane