Amati 1:64 HMS Victory - LATEST NEWS

vossy

Hi all, I was just wondering, is Caldrcraft (1:72 version) the go to kit for Victory freaks? Is it the most detailed/accurate on the market? Indeed, is it the largest? Anyone know of any others to rival Caldercraft's version or any planned by other manufacturers in the pipeline?

Cheers

Chris

8 minutes ago, James H said:

The ultimate Victory kit is the 1:64 unreleased Amati kit, designed by Chris Watton. 

That thing is epic, and I'm trying to convince Amati to get off the fence and actually release it!

I'm sure @chris watton could give you more info...

Any pics, other info etc?

Wow! Thank you for these pics Chris. Any idea if/when a release date? Price etc? How come if you completed the proto type 4 years ago she still isn't released? What would be the overall dimensions of such a beast? Sorry for all the questions. Stunning work! I want one!

Cheers

Chris

1 minute ago, vossy said:

Wow! Thank you for these pics Chris. Any idea if/when a release date? Price etc? How come if you completed the proto type 4 years ago she still isn't released? What would be the overall dimensions of such a beast? Sorry for all the questions. Stunning work! I want one!

Cheers

Chris

Overall, she is 1.6 metres long. It dominated my large dining table when finished her. There are no dummy barrels on this one, all fully detailed carriages with full length cannon. There should be a thread with a lot more pics somewhere on here.

I do not work for Amati any longer, so cannot tell you when it will be released. What I do know is that I did complete everything, designs, instructions, manual, plans. I think Amati are worried the kit will cost too much, but I suspect it would still sell. But, as I said, I no longer work there, it may be an idea to email them, asking for it to be released - it would be nice, as that development was two full years of my life. Even took a trip to Portsmouth to take my own research pics.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I will definitely contact them. Given you designed her, drew the scale plans etc. do you still retain any ownership to the model? Could you not sell her as part of your current venture? As for cost; Amati are kidding themselves if they think junkies like us wont spend the big bucks on things of rare quality and beauty such as this! Sure, its not a kit that will fly out the door in the hundreds, but I bet more than a few on here alone would buy it.

Any chance you could maybe post a few more pics of your design in stages/completion? Fully understand if for copyright reasons etc. you cannot. Thanks for your work.

Cheers

Chris

24 minutes ago, vossy said:

I will definitely contact them. Given you designed her, drew the scale plans etc. do you still retain any ownership to the model? Could you not sell her as part of your current venture? As for cost; Amati are kidding themselves if they think junkies like us wont spend the big bucks on things of rare quality and beauty such as this! Sure, its not a kit that will fly out the door in the hundreds, but I bet more than a few on here alone would buy it.

Any chance you could maybe post a few more pics of your design in stages/completion? Fully understand if for copyright reasons etc. you cannot. Thanks for your work.

Cheers

Chris

Amati own the rights, they paid me to design it for them, so it is 100% Amati's kit. I have got more pics, also, if you do a search on MSW, there is a long thread that is full of development updates with lots of Victory pictures I took. I have added the one with my step daughter (she'll be pleased I dug that one up), so you can get an idea of the size. Most other pics are in the large format (for the building manual), so too big to post.

ETA - I have added a couple of (very bad) pics I took when I delivered the Victory model to Amati, she is sitting next to Vanguard.

vic with Kirsten 2.jpg

Victory poop bulkheads 1.jpg

Vic lower gun deck.jpg

Victory start of  rigging.jpg

Vic upper gun deck.jpg

DSCN2739.JPG

DSCN2836.JPG

DSCN2837.JPG

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Don't quote me, but I think there may be some real movement regarding Amati releasing the 64th scale Victory. I would be so happy to see this released - I no longer work there, but this was two years work for me, and would be fantastic to see it available to buy.

logo.jpg

5 hours ago, chris watton said:

Don't quote me, but I think there may be some real movement regarding Amati releasing the 64th scale Victory. I would be so happy to see this released - I no longer work there, but this was two years work for me, and would be fantastic to see it available to buy.

Just received an email from Amati regarding your Victory. Seems we may all have good reason to start getting excited!

Cheers

Chris

I'm guessing plenty of projects will be sidelined once this magnificent kit is released. As long as the developers stay true to the prototype and the retail numbers meet with approval, I foresee a shortage of stock at the distributors level because of high demand . Not many builders will be able to resist jumping on this bandwagon..... me included!!!

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Here is a drawing of the stern, with all the PE parts in place. In the kit, there is an option for how you want to show the windows. You can have them open, part open or closed. If some are open, you can peer through them and just make out the deck detail along the hull.

The balustrades in between the window tiers have the exact same number as the real thing. I taken a lot of pictures of the stern when at Portsmouth, and imported the best into my CAD program, and then traced the outlines of the decoration so it should be all a near exact match for the real thing. I know that one version of Victory has these parts all out of proportion, I didn't want anything to stand out that may be wrong..

Also, on my visit, I noted that the poop screen bulkheads have hinges at the top, presumably to fold the bulkheads up and stowed under the poop deck when cleared for action. I threw out the old version of the bulkheads I had already made up and replaced them with the new ones with better detail.

Vic stern drawing.jpg

Poop bulkhead drawing.jpg

logo.jpg

Here are the three deck levels, but the assembly starts at the orlop level.

I know some baulk at the thought of using MDF (I did to begin with, if I am honest), but it is the perfect non-varying thickness of quality MDF that allowed me to think of such designs. Plywood thickness is never constant, if I used that, this assembly would have been a disaster, some hulls may end up being a few mm higher than they should, and some a lot lower, as ply thickness can vary from 5.6-6.4 for 6mm thickness. The structural integrity of this hull is very strong, plus all gun ports already worked into the hull structure, so no guessing or marking out needed.

The way this is designed is that you can build up to one deck level and detail it very easily without obstruction, and when complete, build up the next level and do the same, like a layer cake.

ETA - Even all of the gun port sills and gun port lids were pre-cut to fit each individual gun port.

lower gun deck model.jpg

middle gun deck model.jpg

victory upper gun deck model.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

OK, just sorted out a few more pics, mostly from the manual (There are 917 construction pics and well over the same amount for line drawings)

The first is the orlop, when I started the build, I was still waiting for the many sheets of PE to be delivered, so couldn't add the gratings (all PE so I could design to exact size). Some pics show the model a little rough around the edges, this is because it is before any final model touch ups..

Victory orlop.jpg

Vic detail lower gun deck.jpg

Victory step 368.jpg

Victory step 380.jpg

Victory step 435.jpg

Victory step 485.jpg

Victory step 525.jpg

Victory step 582.jpg

Victory step 644.jpg

Victory step 802.jpg

logo.jpg

"A bit rough around the edges"

Listen to the man will you. Get me a strong magnifying glass I might see something a bit rough, maybe!

Yes, and thanks Chris now I need a new keyboard, totally covered in drool.

If only time and money didn't matter, better buy another lotto ticket.

Cheers Chris

So after many years thinking about building a victory kit, I set out to discover which is the definitive one, I come across a posting regarding one in development that is anticipated to be the new premier, after reading more into it decide, yep that's the one for me, and then find myself here only to discover the designer, is a fellow forester! How cool is that.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:12 AM, Jib said:

So after many years thinking about building a victory kit, I set out to discover which is the definitive one, I come across a posting regarding one in development that is anticipated to be the new premier, after reading more into it decide, yep that's the one for me, and then find myself here only to discover the designer, is a fellow forester! How cool is that.

You must be close, then, I am in Cinderford!

logo.jpg

1 minute ago, vossy said:

Hi Chris, did you design the Caldercraft 1:72 Victory? If so, how does it compare in accuracy/detail to your much anticipated Amati 1:64 version?

Cheers

Chris

I designed the majority before I handed in my notice in late 2001. I had nothing to do with the stern carvings or PE. I left before completing it.

I cannot comment on the differences, as there are quite a few years to separate the two, and it would not be cricket to talk about accuracy/detail between the two.

logo.jpg