Amati 1:64 HMS Victory - LATEST NEWS

vossy

9 minutes ago, CWG said:

The stern of the Amati Victory is too flat.  It should have curvature.  See the pictures of the real ship on the internet.

I don't think it has much curvature. From photos I've seen and ones I've taken, it appears to have a gentle curve.

I can also tell you, without doubt, that the model isn't too flat. Here's a couple of photos from the plans for this very kit...

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 18.27.07.jpg

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 18.26.52.jpg

Be careful as some online photos look strange with fisheye effect. 

Here are some images I've trawled for you:

ims-scan-arc-01051324-f-1000x1000.jpg

499_HMSVICTORY_18_1411650486.jpg

94058841_HMS_Victory_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

webANXhmsvictory.jpg

THIS one appears to show it very curved, but it looks like it's fisheye as you can see it curve inwards at far outside edge. 

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Vane said:

U can get the 3rd rate HMS Agamemnon in 1/64 for about 900 Euros in UK.... Victory is probably 50% bigger. It should not be rocket science. 😛

You can compare two models of different scales and by two different manufacturers?

You could draw a comparison and make a guess, but it's not rocket science that your figure will be just that.....a total guess. Factor into that two different manufacturers with different pricing structures.

Also, HMS Victory isn't about 50% bigger than Agamemnon in 1:64. It's only around 15% larger in length than Agamemnon.

43 minutes ago, James H said:

I don't think it has much curvature. From photos I've seen and ones I've taken, it appears to have a gentle curve.

I can also tell you, without doubt, that the model isn't too flat. Here's a couple of photos from the plans for this very kit...

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 18.27.07.jpg

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 18.26.52.jpg

Be careful as some online photos look strange with fisheye effect. 

Here are some images I've trawled for you:

ims-scan-arc-01051324-f-1000x1000.jpg

499_HMSVICTORY_18_1411650486.jpg

94058841_HMS_Victory_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

webANXhmsvictory.jpg

THIS one appears to show it very curved, but it looks like it's fisheye as you can see it curve inwards at far outside edge. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Many of these photos is likely taken by a wide angle lens so they dont give a fair view. 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

43 minutes ago, James H said:

You can compare two models of different scales and by two different manufacturers?

You could draw a comparison and make a guess, but it's not rocket science that your figure will be just that.....a total guess. Factor into that two different manufacturers with different pricing structures.

Also, HMS Victory isn't about 50% bigger than Agamemnon in 1:64. It's only around 15% larger in length than Agamemnon.

64 guns vs 100... I dont think the keel will be the key point deciding the price.  The price of the competition is definitely highly relevant. Currently there are 3 large shipkits from the Nelson era. Victory in 1:72, Vanguard in 1:72  and Agamemnon in 1:64.  I would guess that it end up around 1200-1500Euros. 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

24 minutes ago, Vane said:

64 guns vs 100... I dont think the keel will be the key point deciding the price.  The price of the competition is definitely highly relevant. Currently there are 3 large shipkits from the Nelson era. Victory in 1:72, Vanguard in 1:72  and Agamemnon in 1:64.  I would guess that it end up around 1200-1500Euros. 

Strangely enough, I already gave a total guess price of about €1500/£1500 somewhere else recently, as a non-scientific calculation. 

7 hours ago, CWG said:

The stern of the Amati Victory is too flat.  It should have curvature.  See the pictures of the real ship on the internet.

I can say quite categorically that the stern on the 64th scale Victory is not too flat, it has the came curvature as per the plans.

Regarding price comparisons with other kits of Victory, please bare in mind that there is a hell of a lot more to this 64th scale version, no other kits have full deck detail for all three gun decks - no dummy barrels.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

6 minutes ago, Snow said:

I don't remember when  we became rocket scientists but I've seen many large models with very big differences  in price

I remember going to a model boat show years ago, and one guy was asking about the kits on offer and then when I told him the prices, he was shocked and said something along the lines of 'But how does this one cost more, the cheaper one has a bigger box?'

This is what we have to deal with occasionally...

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Regarding the curvature of Victory's stern the only real answer is to have an engineering firm develop a 3-D software model of the real ship's stern.  Then the exact appearance and proper offsets can be seen from any angle.

The problem would be who would pay for the development of the model:  Amati or the British government?

• 1 month later...

As a quick update, Amati are currently printing the full size plan-set for me and the MDF, ply and PE parts will shortly be cut and sent over.

They are now sourcing the high-pressure castings for the cannon and other fittings. 

I now have the instruction manual that Chris Watton put together, and this will serve as the basis for building the Victory and producing a manual for them in their current format. I'm busy studying the build from the keel upwards!

The manual Chris made is actually very good and very much of the style you see in his new Alert kit, but Amati want the whole lot shot against a white background in a photo-caption style format that you see in their recent kits such as the Orient Express Sleeping Car etc. These are glossy, perfect-bound books.

I've had some long talks with Amati over the last months. Things are now moving along! 

On 8/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, CWG said:

Regarding the curvature of Victory's stern the only real answer is to have an engineering firm develop a 3-D software model of the real ship's stern.  Then the exact appearance and proper offsets can be seen from any angle.

The problem would be who would pay for the development of the model:  Amati or the British government?

When you build your Victory model, who is going to call you out on the curvature of the stern?:D

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, James H said:

As a quick update, Amati are currently printing the full size plan-set for me and the MDF, ply and PE parts will shortly be cut and sent over.

They are now sourcing the high-pressure castings for the cannon and other fittings. 

I now have the instruction manual that Chris Watton put together, and this will serve as the basis for building the Victory and producing a manual for them in their current format. I'm busy studying the build from the keel upwards!

The manual Chris made is actually very good and very much of the style you see in his new Alert kit, but Amati want the whole lot shot against a white background in a photo-caption style format that you see in their recent kits such as the Orient Express Sleeping Car etc. These are glossy, perfect-bound books.

I've had some long talks with Amati over the last months. Things are now moving along! 

Thanks for the update James! This is indeed fantastic news!

What Good News. I, for one, have planned to buy and build this 1:64 from Amati when it was released. When the kit is a reality, I plan to also mount sails and place it in a waterline diorama (solo @Trafalgar). I presume the marketing plan for Amati will allow for a one-time full kit purchase. 

Speaking of purchases: as of today, one can buy the Caldercraft 1:64 Agamemnon for £790 ($803.00 USD). To earlier queries about legacy kits from Caldercraft; I believe their "pond model" business is waaaaayyyy bigger than their static model one. How many people - even dedicated modelers -  can spend upwards of 1,500 hours on ONE model? This mammoth project is not only about the dosh!

James: thanks for your updates and picking-up where Chris left off. Please do keep us updated on your progress. 

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Just now, mpfarrer said:

I am very interested in getting the full HMS Victory kit when it is released by Amati.  Does anyone know if there is a wait list yet for the kit?  I am excited to start this project!

No waiting list, but you are looking a couple of years yet. There is a link on this topic with some build photos from Chris showing the prototype. In the next month or so, you'll be able to follow a second prototype build here on MSW as I do the Victory for their instruction manual. Stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, vossy said:

Any movement on this kit James?

Cheers

Chris

Amati have so far printed the plans for me and had the PE and wood parts made. They are awaiting the return of high-pressure castings for the various fittings/cannon etc. and then this will be on its way to me. I'm thinking between 2 and 4 weeks at the moment. Some delays did creep in, but they now look sorted. 

From there, I have about 18 months to build the hull to completion as the masting is via drawing.

I still think this is around 2yrs from release. 

There will be a build log here as soon as I get everything in the workshop. 

Thanks för the update. That will be one of The more interesting buildlog för this whole forum. My heart wants you to work quicker so it can be released next week.... but my brain tells me i Will likely not be able to take on a larger project for several years due to what i am already building 😛

2 hours ago, Vane said:

Thanks för the update. That will be one of The more interesting buildlog för this whole forum. My heart wants you to work quicker so it can be released next week.... but my brain tells me i Will likely not be able to take on a larger project for several years due to what i am already building 😛

The first prototype was built by Chris, and he was doing this as a full time job and Amati employee.

For me.....I work full time in education, so my building time will be evenings, weekends and holidays, but I do promise that I will move as quickly as I can so long as I don't compromise quality. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw a FB group about building this model, I presume it's your group James? Started just the other day. I'd love to see a 1:64 Victory kit out there. Somthing to strive for one day. Once I build some other 1:64 kits. I'll be watching this closely. As well as the FB group. That is a gargantuan hull and 1:64 allows some nice detail. 

6 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

Saw a FB group about building this model, I presume it's your group James? Started just the other day. I'd love to see a 1:64 Victory kit out there. Somthing to strive for one day. Once I build some other 1:64 kits. I'll be watching this closely. As well as the FB group. That is a gargantuan hull and 1:64 allows some nice detail. 

It does look pretty impressive. I still can't believe the design of the new kit with cannon ports built into the frames, so no worry about alignment. 

This is the Facebook group I help to run:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amativictory/

Also, look at these two hulls. Both designed by the same guy (Chris), but over a decade apart. On the left is his 1:72 Victory from Caldercraft, and the right is the 1:64 Amati. The Caldercraft kit is just stunning, so I can't wait to see the Amati when it soon lands here. 

Untitled-1.jpg