vossy

Amati HMS Victory????

On 12/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, Bobbuild said:

Any update?

Still waiting on the laser stuff and PE/cannon. I do have the 30+ sheets of plans already.

The Bismarck kit had to be prioritised for Nuremberg toy fair in late Jan, so I expect the parts will be sorted for me very soon.

Saw a FB group about building this model, I presume it's your group James? Started just the other day. I'd love to see a 1:64 Victory kit out there. Somthing to strive for one day. Once I build some other 1:64 kits. I'll be watching this closely. As well as the FB group. That is a gargantuan hull and 1:64 allows some nice detail. 

6 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

Saw a FB group about building this model, I presume it's your group James? Started just the other day. I'd love to see a 1:64 Victory kit out there. Somthing to strive for one day. Once I build some other 1:64 kits. I'll be watching this closely. As well as the FB group. That is a gargantuan hull and 1:64 allows some nice detail. 

It does look pretty impressive. I still can't believe the design of the new kit with cannon ports built into the frames, so no worry about alignment. 

This is the Facebook group I help to run:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amativictory/

Also, look at these two hulls. Both designed by the same guy (Chris), but over a decade apart. On the left is his 1:72 Victory from Caldercraft, and the right is the 1:64 Amati. The Caldercraft kit is just stunning, so I can't wait to see the Amati when it soon lands here. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Ok, some news.

The laser and photo-etch parts are now being produced. As around 7yrs had elapsed since Chris completed this, the laser cutting company had made changes to its equipment, meaning the sheets had to be a different size. Some work was done to move all the parts around to fit the new sizes. There were a few questions about certain aspects of the design, but we are now there.

Amati hope to have the parts (both laser and PE) with them in around 10 days, so if that goes to plan, I should have everything in 2-3 weeks, and I can start a build log here as I create the work needed for the instruction manuals. There will be at least two shiny, perfect-bound books for this....possibly three. Having spent 7 months pouring over Chris's original manual, I think there will be around 1500+ images needed, perhaps more. That will be interlaced with some extracts from the drawings too. 

I know many folk are wanting this kit, so I promise to work as quickly as I can to complete everything up to where masting is needed. Masting and rig will be done via the plan sheets, as is traditional. 

IMG_0303.jpeg

26 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

I like that you are working at a pub.  Or is that your living room......

That's The Olde Ship, at Seahouses, Northumberland, UK.

1 hour ago, James H said:

I promise to work as quickly as I can

Yeah, right!!  That spot is either the biggest distraction or the biggest inspiration........green with envy......

1 minute ago, coxswain said:

Yeah, right!!  That spot is either the biggest distraction or the biggest inspiration........green with envy......

Haha! I'm not building it in a pub! 🤣

10 hours ago, James H said:

Haha! I'm not building it in a pub! 🤣

It would be pure bliss if I could build in a pub! Not sure how accurate things would be but, then again, I probably wouldn't care! 🤪

Thanks for the update. Maybe you have explained it earlier, but what needs to be done to get this kit on the shelves? 

As I understand you need to build another prototype and record the process thouroghly for a new manual. But what about the design? Is it  completely finish or are you still making changes? And once finished, can Amati easily ramp up production of the kit itself?

What colour scheme will be recommended? Will it be the new paint job?

Or will it be the yellow ochre one?

Paul 

1 hour ago, Vane said:

Thanks for the update. Maybe you have explained it earlier, but what needs to be done to get this kit on the shelves? 

As I understand you need to build another prototype and record the process thouroghly for a new manual. But what about the design? Is it  completely finish or are you still making changes? And once finished, can Amati easily ramp up production of the kit itself?

You are right....all that needs to be done is for me to get the new production prototype built. There were small changes to this over the one Chris built as he opted to improve things further as he built it, but was too late to include in his original manual, these changes are now done. The model, as it stands, is now finished in design, so with me completing the manuals, there's no reason why Amati can't get the parts put into production.

21 minutes ago, Paul Jarman said:

What colour scheme will be recommended? Will it be the new paint job?

Or will it be the yellow ochre one?

Paul 

My model needs to stay consistent in appearance to Chris's original design prototype, so it will be painted in the same colours and not the new ones. Chris's model will be on the box art, so it would look strange for the one in the manual to be a different colour. Remember, the new colour is evidence from their latest findings, but still, as far as I'm aware, not definitive. No one really knows the exact shade, so I'll stick to convention. However, I will add some notes in there about the alternative new colour she's painted in, to give the modeller an option, and hopefully provide a reference on what paint to use. 

18 hours ago, Mpfarrer2 said:

James,

I am one of the folks wanting this kit as soon as it comes out, I would like to thank you for the update and I am looking forward to the build log!

Mike

I can promise that you'll love this kit. When it does become available, I hope you'll share your build here. Chris Watton is a member here too, and as we'll have both built this, there will be plenty of help if you need it.

Oh, by the way....

:sign:

Re. pub in Seahouses, Northumberland. I notice your location is Horwich, Lancs. Did you use Google translator ? or a temporary displaced Geordie?

3 minutes ago, stuglo said:

Re. pub in Seahouses, Northumberland. I notice your location is Horwich, Lancs. Did you use Google translator ? or a temporary displaced Geordie?

No, I was there a couple of weeks ago on a surprise treat for my 50th. My wife knew I'd like to be next to the sea in a pub selling great whisky and stuffed with sailing ephemera. 🤪

19 hours ago, stuglo said:

what no "broon" !!

LOL,when I lived in Northumberland many years ago it was called "newkie broon" or more usually "Lunatic Soup". Visited the Scottish and Newcastle brewery once and looked inside a vat of the brew fermenting,80 odd thousand gallons of it 😵 😵 Heady stuff.

Dave :dancetl6:

As  poor students "broon" was expensive, so we bought the cheaper "amber" at 1/8 s for drinking- "broon" for special occasions. Also, most pubs had separate as well as mixed bars.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.