HM Schooner Ballahoo by The Lazy Saint - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - First wooden ship

Hi all,

I recieved my first wooden ship today, dispatched by Cornwall model boats. I have had a quick look and all looks fine. I chose this particular model as it has been billed as a great starter model and there are many fine examples on this site for me to draw inspiration from. I also ordered the glue required and the paint set, but resisted the temptation to add the other "recommended" purchases like the planking and rigging sets.

I am certainly looking forward to starting it.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint.

20190629_094346.jpg

20190629_094706.jpg

Hi all,

Today l managed to complete my first construction day, l am reasonably happy with the outcome but it wasn't without its problems.

I completed the following tasks:

1. Edges of bulkheads beveled + top of bulkhead 11

2. Glued and clamped bulkheads, false ply deck, four stern counter frames, stern counter and, finally, the stern fascia. (Phew)

I cut the bearding line, although not in the instructions, because the general consensus is that it should be to enable correct planking. I didn't seem to have a problem achieving that task but could not manage the rabbet, there just doesn't seem to be room. Maybe l am missing a point, l will have another look/think tomorrow. 

The second problem l faced were parts 13 and 14, plank terminations. I couldn't get how they could be correct, they look more likely to hinder than help in plank termination. Ha ha, that is another thing for me to look/think about tomorrow. Things will look clearer tomorrow when the glue is fully dry and the clamps off.

(I hope)

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190630_175505.jpg

20190630_175444.jpg

20190630_175453.jpg

Ah, filler blocks, they make sense, l have just seen the use of filler blocks on another build log. Much better, and make more sense than the plank termination patterns supplied with my kit. I shall sort that tomorrow. 

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

Again, l never managed to get the wood for the filler blocks, however, l did manage to soak and molded the gun port bulwarks. The actual task of soaking and bending was quit straight forward l am glad to say but it did show up a need for more sanding to improve the beveled edges of the bulkheads. 

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190702_181022.jpg

20190702_181013.jpg

Hello lazy Saint, great start. For the filling you may use any cheap softwood you can lay your hands on. There are restboxes in German diy-markets to pick up cheap wood from there.  Or ask at a building ground if the workes do give their cutoffs for a bottle of beer... any kind of  pine or some other soft wood. 

But please use ONE KIND OF WOOD only in your kit, as differend wood is differend to sand so a smooth surface is a more complex job to get. 

You are on a good track with this kit. What litrature do you use? 

Edited by Heinrich der Seefahrer

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

Hi Heinrich, 

Thank you for your advice, l had planned to use balsa wood for the filler blocks. The reason l have chosen this wood is for its soft/light nature and its ease of use. I know it is a very soft wood but it is only a filler and not load bearing.

As for literature, the model comes with good instruction and diagrams. l have studied other build logs on this site to draw inspiration and have read a very good tutorial 

Simple Hull Planking for Beginners
Dirk De Bakker & Greg Brooker

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint 

PS. I only intend to use filler blocks at the bow and stern bulkheads. 

Edited by The Lazy Saint
Added post script

Hi all,

So, finally today,  the fitting of the gun port bulwarks. I was very pleased with the fitting and sat back to congratulate myself. Prematurely I'm afraid, after my celebratory coffee l discovered that l had been a little over zealous wit my sanding (don't tell anyone else) and had given myself another problem. It is now resolved with a little bit of "packing wood" on bulkheads 1, 2 and 3. 

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190703_211457.jpg

20190703_211509.jpg

Hi all,

It seems to be going smoothly so far. I am endeavouring to keep things as symmetrical as possible and hopefully any errors l make on the 1st planking l can put right on the second. I am planking both sides simultaneously and am eight planks in, four each side.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190704_132656.jpg

20190704_132708.jpg

20190704_133615.jpg

Nice work, I must admit I did not much like 1st planking, perhaps it's because I didn't prepare the bulkheads enough, but as there is a second layer it came right in the end (with a lot of filler and sanding).

I'm sure you'll do well.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi all,

Well that is the 1st planking in place, still a lot of tidying up, filling and sanding. Ha ha, l know what you mean Edward, thank goodness for filler and sand paper.

I am reasonably happy with the outcome, it is, after all, a learning curve that l am on. I understand my errors and l shall learn by them. With luck the 2nd planking will be easier.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190704_212118.jpg

20190704_212139.jpg

Hi all,

I have sanded it smooth and l am glad to say l have not had to resort to too much filler. I have started the second planking and completed the first 3 planks on either side. I am not using pins as l would like this (gunport bulwarks) area left unpainted, if my planking is ok l will use varnish, if not l will paint it.

I will now work carefully and slowly down the ship.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190706_114137.jpg

20190706_114215.jpg

20190706_113455.jpg

20190706_113439.jpg

Hi all,

Today l have planked the stern and am five planks down the hull. I am finding that the planking is very time consuming but very absorbing, time just flew by today. Yesterday l missed my lunch! 🤣

During my next session l will endeavor to progress by another five planks, but not tomorrow, tomorrow l am going 🎣

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190707_151244.jpg

20190707_151302.jpg

Hi ccoyle,

Thanks for the sanding sealer tip, l shall use it as l do plan to paint. My wood working skills are not sufficient yet to display a varnished ship, although I am quit pleased with the gunport bulwarks. 

Do you recommend a specific sanding sealer? Should l look for a sealer produce for model ships or would a trip to B&Q suffice?

Many thanks for your input.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

I don't know what a "B&Q" is, but if it's anything like a Lowe's or Home Depot, then yes, that's the place. I can't really recommend one brand of sealer over another -- perhaps some of our more knowledgeable woodworkers have some advice on this.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hiya

B&Q don't sell a sanding sealer im afraid, been there done that, Liberon sanding sealer is what I use from amazon, around £8 for 250ml

Regards

Paul

Liberon Spirit Sanding Sealer ALL SIZES  Ideal for Sealing Wood Before Waxing

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi all,

Well l have completed my first hull planking. l am not too disappointed as it is my first attempt and l have learnt a lot. Planking a model ship is certainly a challenge, my hat off to all you builders out there who produce model's of such high standard's.

My next tasks will be to prepare the hull for painting by trimming, filling and sanding. 

The five most important lessons l have learnt so far are:

1. The bearding and rabbet lines. These are much more important to the final look of the hull than l realised. I  won't pay lip service to them next time.

2. Beveling the bulkheads. It is surprising how much wood you can sand away in such a short time, l won't be making work for myself next time.

3. Taking more time over cutting individual planks. I won't move on to the next plank in line untill the one l am working on is absolutely correct, this may mean my scrap wood pile grows but ultimately it will lead to a better looking build.

4. Make my build sessions shorter. As l get more tired l tend to accept poorer quality work, there is no rush.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

5. I will not add the keel untill the planking is completed. 

20190709_134148.jpg

20190709_134205.jpg

Edited by The Lazy Saint
Point 5 added

Hi all,

I have been busy preparing the hull for painting by trimming, filling and sanding. I do still have more sanding, but not much and I haven't had to use too much filler, which l am pleased about. All the errors l am left with can be attributed to my failure to appreciate the importance of the bearding lines and rabbets. If l work on correcting my five lessons highlighted in the previous post l should produce a better hull next time.

I am now looking forward to planking the deck and the inner walls of the gun port  bulwarks. 

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190710_172651.jpg

20190710_172638.jpg

Hi all,

Today l have started the deck planking and am happy so far with the results, however, l have found it surprisingly difficult to get perfectly straight cuts.

I have simulated the caulking with a permanent marker pen which seems  to have worked well, although can highlight any errors in cutting. I am being critical l know but if l don't highlight these problems/errors l am afraid l may well make them again.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190711_193607.jpg

Decking completed and the first plank of the inner gun port bulwarks fitted. I have also filed out the holes for the masts.

During my next session l will complete the bulwarks and cut out the gun ports.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

PS. I must work on getting better/straighter cuts for my plank ends, perhaps a plank cutter would be a good investment. 

20190712_142626.jpg

Hi all,

This afternoon l have completed the inner planking, cut open the gun ports and fitted the bulwark capping rail.

During my next session l will be fitting the main wale. I shall also make a start on the deck fittings.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190712_194241.jpg

20190712_194255.jpg

Looking good.  I think it takes a hull under one’s belt to appreciate what goes into nice planking.  

For straighter plank ends, you could look into getting something like a Chop-It or use something like a disc sander.  I have the Chopper from Northwest Short Line that is pretty helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Northwest-Short-Line-Chopper-II/dp/B004P3SRI0

Love the name by the way...

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for the tip and the link, it looks just the thing l am needing.

Today l fitted the main wales, trickier than l thought.

Note to self:

Just because something looks simple enough, do not assume it is so.

Best wishes as always.

The Lazy Saint. 

20190713_203907.jpg

Hi all,

I enjoyed today's session, it depended less on my wood working skills and more on my basic modeling knowledge.

I fitted the companion way, the gratings, timberheads and the two sets of channels. There are a few more items to add, such as the hand pumps, but the construction of the hull is almost complete.

I hope l will have added a bit of colour by the time l post next.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190715_180501.jpg

20190715_180514.jpg

20190715_180541.jpg