Sapphire by Omega1234 - 1/388 scale - Mega-yacht 66m (8 inch hull length)

WOW!!  She's really taking shape Patrick. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Those work for the LaMan drivers for the running start across the track to the car.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/14/2019 at 10:53 PM, cog said:

Pfff, nearly missed this one, you are going fast, Patrick.I do need to buy some sneakers to keep up with you! Great start!

On 7/15/2019 at 4:57 AM, GrandpaPhil said:

Excellent!

On 7/15/2019 at 3:09 AM, mtaylor said:

Sneakers, Carl?  I'm thinking a fast car.   

Patrick,  You really should send photos of these super-yachts to the builders.   Your builds are that good.

Hi Carl, Mark and Grandpa Phil!

Thanks for all of your comments and to those who hit the Like button.

I hope you can all stick around to enjoy Sapphire’s journey.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hi folks

Thanks for all of your previous comments and Likes for Sapphire’s construction journey.

Who said these mega-yachts can’t have wings, hey? Well, Sapphire’s got four of them and I just finished building them last night. Whilst not actual wings, these four wings are situated on the Sun Deck and are designed as platforms for the radomes (which I’ll add later).

Hopefully now that the major elements of the external superstructure has been built (albeit roughly) at this early stage, I’ll soon be able to start building Sapphire’s internal accommodation. Now, that’ll be fun, for sure.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

D94F8532-F4DA-4129-BA3E-1F7038410EA0.jpeg

84ACCA6E-8884-48F9-934E-2866913C1C11.jpeg

011D6A63-119E-4A27-A5AE-2376BE42A79C.jpeg

9CB0B7E9-E1A4-49E6-882B-5AACDF99388E.jpeg

F616BDCD-D54E-4D76-8321-22AB44E45F96.jpeg

88614AAA-4101-4A11-A4C8-063A50AD1109.jpeg

8EBDE71B-4410-418B-B773-E8E58329801D.jpeg

875B57DA-8ABE-41C0-AD41-FB97E2D7A105.jpeg

CBA7D199-6C39-4248-B388-081A66E96500.jpeg

6123A3DC-CC6B-4424-BCB0-F1904F8BBB6B.jpeg

B2983883-D546-458D-AE05-B31F3DF99E96.jpeg

2FB49F84-FED3-40DB-883E-D63C5EA28EF4.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

Those wings for the radoms came out sick! I like a lot. Sapphire is coming out amazing so far, she looks so bad-***. Another really cool feature about the real yacht is that the pool in the stern doubles as a helipad which retracts into the deck when charters want to be in the pool. Even though not the same exact scale, I found these cool 3d printed helicopters and have one "flying" alongside the ship.  

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/aircraft?q=&sort=popularity&facet[pdcId][]=150&facet[pdcId][]=490&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500

3 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

Those wings for the radoms came out sick! I like a lot. Sapphire is coming out amazing so far, she looks so bad-***. Another really cool feature about the real yacht is that the pool in the stern doubles as a helipad which retracts into the deck when charters want to be in the pool. Even though not the same exact scale, I found these cool 3d printed helicopters and have one "flying" alongside the ship.  

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/aircraft?q=&sort=popularity&facet[pdcId][]=150&facet[pdcId][]=490&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500

Hi Brian.

Thanks for the info about the retractable helipad over the rear pool.  I knew that there is ‘touch and go’ helipad on the forecastle of the real boat, but wasn’t aware that the rear pool can be used as such, as well.  Oh well, why have one helicopter when you can have two, hey?  I guess it it just makes these billionaire’s toys even more awesome.

I really like those 3D choppers that you’ve posted.  Thanks for the link.  It would be cool to include a chopper for Sapphire...but, finding the right sized one would be difficult.

Thanks again.

Cheers. 

Patrick

So I turn my head for one minute and when I look back - you have the boat half finished.  Very nice and fast work Patrick.  The design is complicated and has so many intricacies that I guess it will keep you busy for a while yet  She is looking excellent.   

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

9 hours ago, FriedClams said:

So I turn my head for one minute and when I look back - you have the boat half finished.  Very nice and fast work Patrick.  The design is complicated and has so many intricacies that I guess it will keep you busy for a while yet  She is looking excellent.   

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for your compliments.  I must admit, that my main goal has been to build all of the superstructure first, before doing the internal details; hence why it looks like progress has been swift.  The reason or this is so that I can be sure that all decks, access-ways, staircases, etc are all aligned correctly from one deck to the next, which can only be done if the shell of the boat is all done at the same time.  I hope this makes sense.

This wasn’t how I built my previous model, Genesis and I ended up having lots of problems with that build.  So, hopefully, things will be better with Sapphire.

Thanks again and have a great week.

Cheers

Patrick

5 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

The reason or this is so that I can be sure that all decks, access-ways, staircases, etc are all aligned correctly from one deck to the next, which can only be done if the shell of the boat is all done at the same time.

And me thinking you were nearing completion!:blink: Great start Patrick, another of your interesting builds on the way. Oh, by the way, it makes perfect sence.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

And me thinking you were nearing completion!:blink: Great start Patrick, another of your interesting builds on the way. Oh, by the way, it makes perfect sence.

Ahh. Thanks Carl. I wasn’t really sure if what I’d written was just gobbledygook, but I’m glad that it made sense. 

Have a great week!

Thanks 

Patrick 

Hi folks.

A quick update on Sapphire’s construction journey. I’ve been mucking around with a black marker pen, just to see how Sapphire’s hull, Sundeck and mast would look once finished.

So...I know it all looks very rough, but with a bit of imagination, I hope you can see Sapphire’s beauty and intricacy starting to show through. A long way to go, though, before I can really start sanding and painting the hull.

Have a great week.

Cheers

Patrick

E3E56F16-6EAF-4FDA-AB63-F1D2A3E75322.jpeg

091FDFD6-773E-4073-9363-2ACA84381B86.jpeg

0B09AEC8-15F6-41FC-8EA5-AA17201CCEC2.jpeg

EBA6D36E-7D15-48D5-B776-32BE92C86BA9.jpeg

53BD35F6-29B5-4EC9-8E78-35B0C2A733D9.jpeg

563ADBAB-C081-480F-A241-01830551F166.jpeg

Patrick, great progress. It is a pleasure to see her lines at these early stages. On to the fiddley bits of the interior (which I don’t do at 1/64th!). Say will you use real leather upholstery this time? 😁 

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

2 hours ago, canoe21 said:

Hello Patrick

Golly but you sure have surprised me as I went looking for your Genesis build only to find her completed and you are well into a new build Sapphire. You sure are running circles around me that is for sure. Great results that seam to come to you so easily, wish some of it would rub off on me as I seam to be in a snail sort of a build,                                                 ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Lawrence-Thanks for looking in.  Genesis is pretty much done and dusted.  What a challenge she was to build.  Sapphire, on the other hand is coming together quicker than I ever thought.  It’s quite scary, really, as I keep expecting to come across a major hurdle, or boo boo, but so far, she’s been pretty much trouble free.  Fingers crossed, of course.

Don’t be feel bad about the time your ship’s taken so far.  Dealing with your son’s recovery is far more important and I dare say, you and your Admiral still have a lot to deal with.  No hurry for your ship.  All in good time, though.  

49 minutes ago, DBorgens said:

Patrick, great progress. It is a pleasure to see her lines at these early stages. On to the fiddley bits of the interior (which I don’t do at 1/64th!). Say will you use real leather upholstery this time? 😁 

Dave B

Hi Dave

Mmmm, leather upholstery?  Now, there’s a thought😊!  Thanks for the compliments, though.  You’re absolutely right about how Sapphire’s lines are beginning to show through now.  She’s certainly an unusual looking boat, although not as radical and space-ship like as Genesis is, but enough to stand out from the crowd.

Have a great weekend, guys!

Cheers. 

Patrick

11 minutes ago, Michel Bénard said:

Beautiful quality of detail, congratulations !!

Hi Michel

Many thanks and welcome to my Build Log!  I can see that you’re new to MSW and I hope that you’ll be able to continue to follow Sapphire’s journey.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

10 hours ago, canoe21 said:

Sapphire, on the other hand is coming together quicker than I ever thought.  It’s quite scary, really, as I keep expecting to come across a major hurdle, or boo boo, but so far, she’s been pretty much trouble free.  Fingers crossed, of course.

Patrick,

Maybe it's that you learned some tricks with Genesis and now don't have to have the learning curve?   Sapphire looks pretty complex to me. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
Hi folks.

‘Bless me Father, for I have sinned.  It’s been at least a couple of months since I last updated this Build Log, or visited anyone else’s Logs.  I beg forgiveness!’

Anyhow...Geez, I don’t know how much more pressure Sapphire’s poor Construction Boss can put up with. After all, Sapphire’s impatient owner just keeps loading more and more unreasonable demands upon him. Is this a case of workplace bullying, or what?

The boat’s not even half-finished and yet, the owner’s demanding that Sapphire be adorned with deck furniture and shrubbery to give it more ‘life’. So, under sufferance, here’s what the Construction Boss has come up with. Furniture, plants, plants and more plants!

Oh, one more thing. The infinity pool at the stern has been filled with water (to test for leaks, of course!).

There’s still bucket loads of work, to go, though....

I hope you like this long awaited update.

Cheers

Patrick

123D111B-0189-4B05-97B5-AE0FDEBC27C7.jpeg

68DB4265-1BA6-414E-ACDD-A5E604E0BF38.jpeg

AE9AE75F-7160-4A63-B2FB-DB07656DC153.jpeg

2EB5BCA0-59F9-434A-930A-65996F769DA6.jpeg

9C41288A-4FBC-4FBD-ABAE-200A0D655DA5.jpeg

6314E191-3D08-4567-B636-EF99F5DFC3CE.jpeg

5E01F150-9A09-4A52-854F-B25EBB9FB5A7.jpeg

C82D0D84-5E4E-4404-93A0-7BC46A57135D.jpeg

9196DF16-3C40-4188-82CD-91CEFBAEE4BC.jpeg

8F6615F1-D25B-41E8-868C-8EF835700FF3.jpeg

0155F3CC-6F00-4B5F-880E-4CDC708052A8.jpeg

AB36A21D-6154-431C-8B5D-51FE19E3FEDF.jpeg

D03A2221-E80D-45C2-87D5-ADA3A0D2DF78.jpeg

9461DDF1-233B-43DA-BC6E-B3E9ABEFAE6C.jpeg

9804EB0E-FC31-4873-92BA-26DE0777E77E.jpeg

C3EC8068-F1CD-4C90-98B6-DF443C387347.jpeg

93E8EBAC-9433-4A2B-A955-EA05CC79C457.jpeg

6388C509-3B33-4BF7-8B24-C792DE13AB80.jpeg

8EA3D462-ED19-49B8-B9CE-55070E4C6D1F.jpeg

443E2284-406D-4F5D-843C-10FE155DC798.jpeg

I see that the ol' paintbrush has been busy lately.  The sleek hull looks really nice now painted, as well as the other areas as well. I like the shrubs you are placed around the pool and elsewhere on the ship, and your furniture building skills always amaze me.  I don't think though that the pool in stern would be all frothy like you have it, it isn't a jacuzzi.  

Brian :)

1 minute ago, bdgiantman2 said:

I see that the ol' paintbrush has been busy lately.  The sleek hull looks really nice now painted, as well as the other areas as well. I like the shrubs you are placed around the pool and elsewhere on the ship, and your furniture building skills always amaze me.  I don't think though that the pool in stern would be all frothy like you have it, it isn't a jacuzzi.  

Brian :)

Thanks Brian.  Yep...I get what you’re saying about the frothy water in the pool.   I used clear silicon for it.  I mistakenly thought the silicon would come out nice and level, but instead it didn’t ‘settle’ evenly; hence why it looks uneven.  Oh well...we live and learn.  Next time, no silicon!

Cheers and thanks.

Patrick

Back in the saddle again. Glad your brushes are still in condition, and your paint liquid. Looking good, any progress is progress. Work can be a bitch, especially if you are the owner ... take care Patrick

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Excellent!  Sapphire is looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

7 minutes ago, cog said:

Back in the saddle again. Glad your brushes are still in condition, and your paint liquid. Looking good, any progress is progress. Work can be a bitch, especially if you are the owner ... take care Patrick

Thanks Carl. You’re so right and thanks for understanding!  I’ve also been feeling really guilty about not keeping up with everyone’s Build Logs; so much so that I kinda kept away from MSW.  The guiltier I felt, the more I avoided (classic Catch 22).  Boy, have I got a lot of catching up to do!

3 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Excellent!  Sapphire is looking good!

Thanks Phil.  I’m glad you like her!

All the best.

Patrick

Well Patrick you have been busy while I have been away enjoying my summer break. I must say that the owner is sowing better taste than the last one, although I think the pot plants are a bit decadent, they wont last well in the salt spray. Maybe you should replace them with plastic simulants. Excellent work as usual.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Keith

Many thanks and welcome back after your Summer break.  Yep, I hear what you’re saying about the pot plants, but some of the photos of the real boat shows that they’re there...so, I thought what the heck, let’s chuck some in😊.

All the best for the rest of the week.

Cheers

Patrick

Caught up on your Sapphire build Patrick. She's REALLY looking fantastic and getting all dressed up with comfy furniture.  Nice work!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Patrick! This boat is turning out more formal and business oriented, compared to the others that were a bit party animals.

Is that a pool in the upper deck? Maybe putting in slightly blue gel might stand out more.

Vaddoc