HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

OK, Amati was right, I was wrong (again). There are in fact 2 different sizes of rigging hooks and I used the wrong (bigger) one for the futtock shrouds. :blush:

Fortunately it’s hardly noticeable but other builders should difference between rigging hooks and futtock shrouds hooks.

post-504-0-32363600-1365942537_thumb.jpg

The hooks on the futtock shrouds are the wrong, slightly larger variant

Meanwhile work continued on the mizzen topmast. The shrouds and backstays were done according to the plans but I wasn’t happy with the way the topmast stay was depicted on the plans. It was rigged in a similar way to the main topmast stay but according James Lees it should be different. Of the various possibilities shown in his book I choose one which was possible for the year Pegasus was built and which I did like because it would set up the 3 stays on the mizzen in parallel. (Perhaps my inner housekeeper tidying up?)

post-504-0-72177800-1365942538_thumb.jpg

Backstays

post-504-0-63890300-1365942536_thumb.jpg

The mizzen topmast stay leads up through a 5mm single block at the bibs and is set up in the main top

When sorting through my toolbox’s electric compartment I came across those small tubes which are used to fix the ends of small copper cables when connecting them by connector blocks instead of smoldering. I think the smallest should make fine scuppers – at least the test sample looks OK. For the position of the scuppers I will shamelessly copy from another fine Pegasus (thank you, B.E.!).

post-504-0-75055700-1365942539_thumb.jpg

What I found in my toolbox...

post-504-0-27134400-1365942540_thumb.jpg

...should make nice scuppers. The outer tube diameter is 1, 5 mm or about 10 cm when converted to the prototype. I think this fits.

Hi Peter,

I was fairly happy with the position along the hull of the scuppers as per below which I sort of worked out from the Swan II book.

020.JPG

but I'm not really sure whether I should have placed them lower. Here you can see them situated just above the top strake of the wale. There is an incline down from the deck, but when I saw Bill Maxwell's Fly I noted they were lower down exiting thro' the Wale.

http://www.max-jp.biz/fly/Gallery_LR/imgpages/image246.html

The one that I still have to fit is for the Manger scupper at the bows, this would of neccessity be slightly lower than the line of the others on my Pegasus.

http://www.max-jp.biz/fly/Gallery_LR/imgpages/image241.html

It doesn't always follow that the scuppers exit thro' the wale, it does depend on the relationship between the  level of the Waterway and wale on a particular ship which may vary.

On my Pegasus I found that the option was to fit them where I have or risk drilling holes just beneath the top of the Wale with the risk of splitting the wale wood. I took the soft option.

According to the ffm book  the scuppers were of 1.5mm diameter holes (scale) and for the Pump dales,( the one situated second from aft) 2.0mm; also the Manger scupper at the Bow.

Those tubes you have look good for the normal scuppers  but if you can find a couple slightly larger for the Pump dales and Manger outlets that's all to the better.

I hope this provides you with a little more  detailed information Peter, in retropsect I think I would have left my external scuppers  until much later in the build, were I doing it again.

Regards,

B.E.

Hi B.E.

Thank you very much for your help and the extra information about the pump dales. :)

Those little pieces come in different sizes and I can easily use a bigger one.

And I will gladly use your example for the longitudinal placing of the scuppers.

The height will be taken from their function and will be just a bit below the level of the main deck. On my Pegasus this will be similar to yours - just above the main wale.

post-504-0-74540700-1365953228_thumb.jpg

cross-section of a scupper by Wolfram zu Mondfeld.

Regards

Peter

Thank you Bummer.

It is necessary for a good result as about a felt 90% of those ships are rigging. :wacko:

Peter

Hi Peter,

Was up early this morning so I decided to read through your Peqasu build log, am glad I did. Much to learn from your build. Thank you for reposting from the beginning of the build much appreciated. Your model is very well done.

Will follow your progress from here.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted  to the Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Hope you don't mind me copying some of your stuff when I do the masts etc. 

Started to mount the deadeyes and having a hard time getting them inside the chainplates without disfiguring the chainplates

totally.

Do you have any tips on them?

Bummer!

Hi David

I’m glad if I can be of any help. Same ways as others are for me.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Bummer

Of course I am quite proud if you find something helpful in my log. Especially as I see that you are following B.E.’s excellent build as well.

About the chain plates:

I widened them at the neck with a flat tool (screwdriver) until I could enter the deadeye and closed them careful again with a pincer.  Just follow Goethe‘s Erlkönig:

„Und bist du nicht willig, so brauch’ ich Gewalt.“ :angry:

Cheers ;)

Peter

Those scuppers (one is slightly larger for the pump dale) look quite acceptable. I think they were lead or copper lined; I painted them a dark copper.

post-504-0-35261700-1366313910_thumb.jpg

Scuppers placed according B.E.’s research. Thank you!

post-504-0-64187200-1366313912_thumb.jpg

The main wale needs some smoothening

The main top has now mizzen topmast- and topgallant stay added. According Lees the mizzen topgallant stay is hitched to the after side of the main stay. I find this a strange way to belay a stay but at least it is easily done.

post-504-0-45172000-1366313911_thumb.jpg

Main top with mizzen topgallant- and topmast stay

Hi B.E.

I was just lucky to find them in my toolbox. You should get similar items in a good assorted hardware store in the electric/electronic department.

I wish I would find some masts with the quality of those on your Pegasus in the toolbox as well… :)

Cheers

Peter

Splendid work on the Capstan Peter, and those scuppers really look a treat, thanks very much for sharing your technique, I think I'll stop by our local hardware and bug the owner for some of those neat little tubes :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thank you Aldo, there is more….

Between the rigging work on the mizzen mast the reworking of the upper capstan continued. It was made without palls according to the model in Annapolis or the one on HMS Pandora.

post-504-0-38576200-1366558138_thumb.jpg

Capstan “out of the box”

post-504-0-24844600-1366558139_thumb.jpg

First try – room for improvement

post-504-0-00006700-1366558124_thumb.jpg

Finished version, mounted on a small step

Once again I must say, that without all that information and input from MSW such small things wouldn’t be possible.

:piratebo5:

Ah yes, the capstan step, excellent upgrade, Peter, this is also what is shown on TFFM, keep up the excellent work :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi B.E.

Hi Aldo

Thank you.

Cheers

Peter

The standing rigging on the mizzen mast has been finished.

Some small corrections were made:

Quite obviously (also told by Lees) the royal stay and the royal backstays must be of the same size. I took .25 black threads for both.

The mizzen topmast and royal stays have their upper end attached with a simple eye-splice instead of the more complicated version with a mouse. The later is used only on mizzen lower mast and main and fore lower masts and topmasts stays.

post-504-0-72116200-1366796844_thumb.jpg

Standing rigging on the mizzen finished

post-504-0-03721500-1366796896_thumb.jpg

lower mast

post-504-0-29081200-1366796935_thumb.jpg

Mizzen top

post-504-0-20822900-1366796945_thumb.jpg

Royal stay and backstay have the same size. Note the eye-splice – no mouse on the upper end

post-504-0-51206600-1366797167_thumb.jpg

crowsfeet

Edited by flyer

• 4 weeks later...

Ratline knitting continues on the main topmast.

Checking the relative size of shrouds and stays I noticed that the shifting backstay according to the plan is too fat (how I feel with that poor rope!) as it should only be 0.7 of the associated shrouds and backstays.  I took all threads one size smaller than on the plans.

Looking at the finished stay on the picture I think perhaps the blocks could also be replaced by smaller ones.

post-504-0-78993100-1368728080_thumb.jpg

Main top taking shape

post-504-0-58429600-1368728082_thumb.jpg

Rather delicate shifting backstay but according James Lees

Hi Peter,

That's some real progress there my friend, she's looking absolutely great.

Well done.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie

Thank you. Already more than half of the ratline knots are done. Phew!

Take care        

Peter

Hi B.E.

Thank you for the compliments. And that was an interesting question about the mizzen top!

I wondered how Steven Maturin would find his way up there. On larger ships, such as the Surprise, he was sometimes found in the mizzen top. But while on Ariel – which would be of a size similar to Pegasus – he seems only to have ventured the main top. Probably Patrick O’Brian was aware of the problem. ;)

The size of the square hole fits Lees’ description with 2/5 of the width of the platform. This gives us exactly those 13 mm we have. Also the size of the trestletrees seems adequate.

Then I was asking myself what clearance we need to squeeze a lubber through. Manholes in aircraft wings are of the tightest I know and certainly not for lubbers. The smallest there are about 16’’ by 14’’ (or 40 by 35cm) – you shouldn’t be claustrophobic as an aircraft mechanic!

If we now take those 35cm as an absolute minimum clearance this would give us 5.5mm on our Pegasus. With an opening of 35mm minus the mast of 3,5mm we have only about 5mm per side for clearing and trestletrees.

Conclusion: There seems not enough space for a lubber’s hole in that mizzen top. They will have to use the futtock shrouds or stay below.

Cheers

Peter

post-504-0-64067100-1368790509_thumb.jpg

No place for lubbers…

post-504-0-20369400-1368790511_thumb.jpg

The bosun would anyway take the route via the futtock shrouds

post-504-0-25859600-1368790512_thumb.jpg

Much of the remaining clearance in the square hole is filled by ropes

Thanks Peter, nice pics and obviously not much room to hold a party on there!

The more I look at the Mizen top the less happy I am. The dimensions simply don't relate to Steel. For instance the breadth of the top is given as 1/3rd  the length of the topmast. The topmast is 26' 9" ergo the breadth of the top should be 42.5mm @ 1:64 scale.

Applying this ratio to the kit plans we have a topmast length of 123mm (excl the pole head)  1/3rd of which = 41mm., the kit provided top has a width of 33mm.

The provided cross and trestletrees are the same section as those for the Fore and Main Mast, yet the Steel dimensions for these are relative to the diameter of the Topmasts. The given Topmast diameter is 7¼” The depth of the trestletrees is ½ of the topmast diameter, and the thickness 2/3rds of the depth.

From this we derive a scale thickness of 0.95mm. as opposed to 3mm as provided in the kit. Using the kit dimensions of 4mm dia. dowel for the topmast the scale would work out to 1.3mm thick trestletrees.

It is becoming clear why there is no room for a lubbers hole in the kit provided top.

Incidently if you look at remco's Kingfisher log there are photos of his completed tops, and the the Mizen looks far bigger in relation to the Fore and Main, than the kit provided set.

I think I need to ponder this awhile yet......

Regards,

B.E.

Hi B.E.

You are right. I didn’t question the platform dimensions. But now I had a look at Granados mizzen top and it is much closer to your calculated figures.

I think that you will eventually rebuild that top according to what you calculated. All the lubbers will be happy and I will learn to live with a mistake in my Pegasus.  That’s one of the drawbacks of building yourself: You know and remember every little built in fault.

Oh yes, I did look at remco’s log and am stunned. What an artist!

Regards

Peter

Excellent job on the rigging Peter !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

The strange thing is Peter, the tops look ok when put on the model, it was only when I came to fit the trestletrees that the lubber hole question arose. I'm a bit annoyed with this setback as I don't really want to have to start re jigging the tops, especially as the Fore top is already fitted.

I have now re-drawn the tops to Steel's dimensions on the back of an envelope, and both the Fore and Main are a fraction undersize but nothing one can't live with.

bxxxxr

Sorry to have introduced this niggling note into your log

B.E.

Hi Frank

It’s nice to hear from you and even to get compliments from a barnacle – encrusted experienced shipbuilder! ;)  Thank you.

Take care

Peter

Hi B.E.

No problem with the niggling – I will do it myself the next 60 years or so, whenever I look at Pegasus’ mizzen top. :(

Couldn’t you just rebuild only that one on your ship?

Cheers

Peter