HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Hi ZyXuz

Thank you for that valuable hint.

In fact I tried something similar during the first repair. But because I left all the shrouds and the stays in place I was only able to insert a perhaps 1cm long piece of wire into the mast. I gave not enough strength and broke again. Hence the replacement with an all new topmast.

Otherwise I’m sure that your method could save many a broken spar.

Cheers

Peter

The broken topmast and its cap were dismantled. I left the Shrouds etc. fixed to their dead eyes but I will have to set them up again with new lanyards. At least it shall be possible to keep the ratlines and the deadeyes.

The new mizzen topmast and a new cap are ready to replace the broken parts.

I decided against making an all new mizzen top from scratch – I’ve got a lot of extra work already and am too lazy to double or triple it

post-504-0-59057600-1370805271_thumb.jpg

The captain musters the new topmast and cap

post-504-0-14697000-1370805273_thumb.jpg

The mizzen top ready for a new topmast

post-504-0-07736400-1370805274_thumb.jpg

The new parts provisionally in place

Next in line was the fore topgallant yard. Here the dimensions in the plan are in agreement with what I found in James Lees’. It was a straightforward job.

New pillar in place

attachicon.gifIMG_3027.jpg

I’ll have to scratch away the superfluous CA glue

attachicon.gifIMG_3030.jpg

Those nasty pillars still haunt me. So much so that if I don't have the exact height and diameter, I not have them laser cut for the profile and the modeller then just has to file/sand the corners smooth - they then look much better.

Nice job, by the way, I enjoyed looking through your build :)

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Hi Andy

Yes, if the beast throws you off, you have to go back into the saddle again as fast as possible. I guess that’s also true for flying horses.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Chris

Thanks for the compliments.

Haunted by those pillars…what a blood-curdling thought… ;)

No, seriously, it’s much easier than I thought to make a replacement yourself and to patch up that little mistake.

Of course there are some small possibilities for improvement in that kit, such as providing square strips (of sufficient size) for upper masts and yards or the question of the size of the mizzen top investigated by Blue Ensign, but…

This is still the most wonderful kit I have been building , classes better than those from Corel or Mamoli (they are quite good) and  rivaled only by Caldercrafts  Granado (perhaps you happen to know the designer of that kit??!).

Perfection is unaffordable – I really appreciate that you continue striving for it.

Thank you                                                                                                                                                                

Peter

Hi Peter,

Great fix my friend, back on track again, well done. :dancetl6:

Murphy was from the Republic of Ireland I believe but the fact he was Irish is sometimes enough. :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

It's looking good.  Chances are that when it's all done, you'll completely forget about having to do a repair -- you'll just remember that you enjoyed the build.

Cheers,\

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Mobbsie

According to the web he was probably an American aerospace engineer, Major Edward A. Murphy Jr.

But whatever he was, I’m really glad it seems he was not associated with the development of the Swiss army knife. A point for us Swiss.

Hi Martin

Yes, it’s finished now and it really was an interesting little project. Fortunately only one ratline had to be retied.

Cheers

Peter

The New topmast could be set up using the existing rope work. Initially the top cap was left off so the shrouds and stays could slip over the new mast. Then they were set up with the old deadeyes and new lanyards. Only one ratline broke and had to be retied. Now it’s better than new and it was an interesting piece of work.

post-504-0-94822500-1370978247_thumb.jpg

The captain checks the new topmast from the main top

post-504-0-85806700-1370978249_thumb.jpg

Backstays are in place again

post-504-0-95936000-1370978385_thumb.jpg

A last critical gaze from the captain – all is well

Thank you, B.E.

By hindsight it actually was fun.   ;)

Peter

Very nice fix on the mast, Peter, it looks great :) 

I think it was sort of a blessing in disguise that it happened this early, imagine how it would have been if it snapped when all the running rigging is already in place :o

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I see you took care of business.... nice job Peter, looks like new :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Timmo

Thank you, but isn’t brilliant a bit shiny?

Hi Aldo

Thanks, but no, I’d rather not.

Hi Frank

Thanks mate, but I’m a bit unsure – considering the way you make your ship appear - if ‘looks like new’, coming from you, really is a compliment. ;)

Take care

Peter

That's an impressive fix Peter, very well done.

You have some lovely rigging there as well, no wonder the Captain is looking happy. :dancetl6:

Keep up the great work.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Now the work on the main topgallant mast could continue.

The shrouds were a straightforward job (no ratlines!!!!!).

The size of the backstays had to be corrected. Again they should be made of the same rope as the stay. The lower ends however presented a problem.

According to the plan and James Lees a thimble should be used. As such parts are not provided with the kit I used a small dead eye on the backstay of the mizzen topmast but this looks somewhat oversized. Now I tried to simulate it with just an eye split. But this looks wrong as well. Therefore I ordered the smallest thimbles available from cornwallmodellboats and will have a try.

While waiting for them I started fixing the spare spars with some hidden nails in preparation for placing the ships boats. Those will be Caldercrafts 24’ cutter and 19’ launch.

post-504-0-78793600-1396354367_thumb.jpg

Work on main topgallant mast has been stopped after the first backstay

post-504-0-19064000-1396354369_thumb.jpg

Unsatisfactory lower backstay end with spliced eye

post-504-0-56942200-1396354368_thumb.jpg

Mizzen topmast backstay with rather large deadeye

post-504-0-69188100-1396354369_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-47803000-1396354370_thumb.jpg

Spare spars in place and shells of boats placed provisionally

Edited by flyer

Peter,

Hi. I discovered your Pegasus when you were kind enough to visit my build just as I was leaving for a few weeks.

I'm back and I went through your log from page 1. You are such an artist. I would not know where to begin with the accolades.Your attention to details, that you replicate so well are a joy to look at. Wao!! Super nice. I'm happy that I found your ship. I will certainly copy some of your details especially when I start the masts and rigging. Beautiful project. I look forward to your updates.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Peter,

OH I just thought of something....have you been to this AMAZING place??

Watch it in 1080 and full screen (:-)

Michael  (It's on my list)

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael

You are overdoing the compliments a bit (but I like it). :blush: :blush:  :blush::D:blush: :blush: :blush:

I’ve heard of that other place in Hamburg from a friend, but only about the model railroad, not that airport. Amazing is the word!

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

The standing rigging on the main mast was now finished.

Amati’s 2,5 mm deadeye with a single hole seemed worth a try as wooden thimbles. They look ok.

post-504-0-06869100-1373200946_thumb.jpg

The bosun is happy about the new thimbles.

Installing the crowfoot on the main top I saw that I had made 2 mistakes on the mizzen: First I took the wrong (0,2) thread and for the euphroe block I only took one photo etched part while you better use the two identical parts together, glued back on back. I will have to rig the mizzen crowfoot again.

post-504-0-69625400-1373200947_thumb.jpg

Main top with finished standing rigging

post-504-0-43696400-1373200949_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-60825500-1373200948_thumb.jpg

Ascending to the main top

post-504-0-07349800-1373200950_thumb.jpg

Main topmast trestletrees

post-504-0-74482200-1373200950_thumb.jpg

Foot of the foremast with topmast stay and preventer stay

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful rigging and masting work as always, Peter, the mast looks good as new after your repair  :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Peter nice work on the rigging one tip leave as much space in the middle as possible, do not fix the spare spars and boats till as late as you can, it gets very crowded, as there is so much rigging to tie off in small spaces.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Hi Aldo

Thanks for looking in.

I got the impression that you are taking a break in the work on your Pegasus, concentrating on your wonderful Triton. Another one lost to the dark art of scratch building…?

Hi Ray

Thank you for the sound advice. Of course it’s a bit of a dilemma – after finishing the rigging there will not be enough space to fix the spars and boats. I guess those ‘ships-in-a-bottle-problems’ are part of our hobby and you probably would meet them even if building in original size. We know it from other work areas, e.g. trying to bring the furniture into the new house and realizing you should have done it before fixing the roof…

The spars are still provisionally mounted and I delay the definite fix as much as possible until I will have missed the optimal point…

Take care

Peter

In between the work on the masts I started on the first boat, Caldercrafts 24’ cutter.

The rips were made according CC’s instructions. Contrary to them the floorboards were not mounted on the prepared piece of plywood but directly on the floor. A cockpit floor and a small ’deck’ up front (I wonder what’s that actually called?) were added.

For those 2 details and a lot more information I used Chuck’s beautiful longboat as source – thank you, Chuck. The rowlocks were filed into the side as per CC’s instruction.

Further detailing of the boats interior will not be made as the smaller cutter will be stowed inside this one. For the coloring I followed mostly the instructions and just added some blue to make it ‘the blue cutter’.

post-504-0-42008700-1396354076_thumb.jpg

The rips are made from cartridge paper

post-504-0-30044500-1396354077_thumb.jpg

Floorboards are added and the risers are being glued in place

post-504-0-68618700-1396354077_thumb.jpg

Cockpit floor added (the boat sits on a copy of Chuck’s longboat- that’s a perhaps a bit impertinent)

post-504-0-44027200-1396354110_thumb.jpg

It’s now the ‘blue’ cutter

post-504-0-14914900-1396354111_thumb.jpg

Front platform added

post-504-0-84003300-1396354139_thumb.jpg

Cockpit seats added – the captain inspects the new boat

post-504-0-54864200-1396354140_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-18205300-1396354141_thumb.jpg

Provisionally stowed – looking at those pictures I think I will have to make a kind of support to keep the boat stable on the spars

Edited by flyer

Lovely work on the cutter Peter, and yes you are right mate, you will have to build a support for it and lashing points.

Will you be fitting it out with oars, anchor, rope ect, it all helps to bring it alive.

Good work my friend.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice details on the Blue cutter.  I especially like the flooring.

As for the oars, I believe Chuck had a thread -- it might have been back in the antediluvian MSW.1 -- on making oars.  I followed it and got nice results, and I'm only a beginner.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel