Hope this is the right place for this.

Building the Dapper Tom as my first ship model and have found the instructions a bit confusing.  I have reached a point where I can't figure it out looking at pics online or searching.

There is a doubler between stanchions in two places.  The instructions state "Add the doubler in way of the sheet and tack sheave holes".  The graphic in the instructions show what looks like a hole in the doubler, but the plans look to me like its supposed be a ring because its elongated in the drawing.  (see below). 

This rigging plan shows lines leading to these (I think) but from the outside view only so no detail of how they attach.

I looked up what a sheeve is and it looks to be a pulley which means ring to me.  (my lack of knowledge of nautical terminology is showing).

Does anyone know what this detail is supposed to be?  Pics would be very helpful.

plans_sm.jpg

I feel your pain...seems as though every kit has it's little (or huge) dilemmas to figure out. Either in the plans, instructions or the materials or all of the above! I now just take it as a challenge to adapt and overcome! I'm pretty sure someone here will assist you, if not carry on in a way that makes sense to you. I suppose in all fairness to the people putting these kits together, the prototype builder, plan guys, editors on the instructions and people putting the kits together for shipping, have a complex load to accomplish. There's bound to be some problems.

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Check page #1 post #29 Fixed Blocks..I think this is what you looking for.

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

They are permanent blocks fixed into the bulwarks.  Old Ben just did not detail the sheave in fig. B-5.  He is showing you that the top is flush with the bottom of the rail.  I think at least one is for a main sail sheet.  If you do not add sails, there may not be a line that uses them on your model.

With the attention this causes,  I am thinking about the physics  and that in this instance, the force on the sail is partially transferred to a more substantial part of the bulwark than a pin rail.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers