Briar Pipe by Papa - FINISHED

Interesting, will be happy to watch both!!😀

Interesting topic, I'll gladly watch this one as the other one is gone now!😉 Did the kit come with just blank blocks of wood?

Edited by donrobinson

6 hours ago, ragove said:

Sorry for doing this twice. I don’t know how I did that.  Moderator, please delete one.

Done, I merged them and deleted one so the responses wouldn't be lost.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Pipes used to be popular, now I never see anyone smoking a pipe around here. I think pipes are cool, and if I smoked again, might try a pipe. Been a lot of years.

Pipes are very popular out here in California. They have whole stores full of hundreds of pipes for sale. Nobody uses them for tobacco anymore, though. :D

12 hours ago, CDW said:

Does the kit come with everything you need to make the pipe? Never seen a do it yourself pipe kit before this one. Pipes used to be popular, now I never see anyone smoking a pipe around here. I think pipes are cool, and if I smoked again, might try a pipe. Been a lot of years.

Yes, it does. Even sand paper and a tape measure. It’s a “Man Crate”. Google them. They have tons of interesting DIY stuff.

8 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Pipes are very popular out here in California. They have whole stores full of hundreds of pipes for sale. Nobody uses them for tobacco anymore, though. :D

All my rowdy friends have settled down. :cheers:

Most are gone now, but never forgotten. I wouldn't trade those days for nothing, but I wouldn't want to relive them either.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

looks like you need a sander now........the shape looks good :)    one of those side rotary sanders might do well for you,  but I think a band sander would do better for the stem part.  Briar is a hard wood......that's why it's so commonly used for the making of pipes.  do beware though.......breaking it in may be tough,  but once the chamber is seasoned,  I hear they are the best.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

18 hours ago, CDW said:

Hey, that's coming along real nice. Good job!

Thank you. It’s been a fun project and I will get to use it when I am finished. Unlike a square rigged ship LOL.

14 minutes ago, ragove said:

Far from perfect but ...

I have never seen a 'perfect' briar pipe in use. The ones people use have character.

Looks good to me.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Is Briar available as solid blocks or billets?  Apart from the grain pattern, it might make for hardy blocks.  Did the wood handle like it would work for that?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

5 hours ago, CDW said:

What kind of tobacco will you use to break it in?

Black Sea by Captain Black. I ordered it online and it came today just in time for my first smoke.

Captain Black Premium Edition introduces Black Sea. Mellow Burley tobaccos, combined with sweet Virginias and soft smooth Black Cavendish tobaccos makes for an excellent smoke. Yet Black Sea sets itself apart with the addition of smoky Latakia tobacco. A wonderful marriage of sweet and smoky. Captain Black, Black Sea is tin worthy and should be enjoyed often.

3E886442-B712-4531-AFFE-EE93BAA10BDA.jpeg

Edited by ragove
Add information

4 hours ago, Jaager said:

Is Briar available as solid blocks or billets?  Apart from the grain pattern, it might make for hardy blocks.  Did the wood handle like it would work for that?

Briar wood is sold in blocks in a variety of sizes. Google pipe making.  It is very hard with a tight grain so it might be good for blocks.  Need someone with experience in block making to try.

Vermont Freehand sells blocks from a variety of sources. From $3 to$1000 on their webpage

Edited by ragove
Add information

39 minutes ago, ragove said:

Black Sea by Captain Black.

For the life of me, I could not remember the name of the tobacco I used to buy so frequently many years ago, but you just jogged my memory. It was Captain Black! I don't remember the "Black Sea" part of the name, but Captain Black was my favorite pipe tobacco. Every now and then, I would try some various blends from the tobacco shops. They were often good as well, but Captain Black was my favorite.

sterling finish! :)     season 'er well.                                               

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch