1930 Chris Craft mahogany Runabout by mtdoramike - Dumas

I've started the planking of the hull, and although it's going pretty quickly with such large planks, the mahogany planking is soooo brittle due to the age of the kit, I have had to do a few splices as well as joints. Which is a shame since the planks are a bit larger than the hull, so it could be planked with full planks. I picked up a can of Sea Glass blue spray paint that I intend to use for the seats. 

DSC00658.JPG

On 9/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, CDW said:

And it's moving so slowly...very unsettling for east coasters.

It got stuck in an atmospheric traffic jam between two High's.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sharp! Do you plan to run it when you're finished or just sell it? That interior color was popular for that type of boat from what I have seen in photos. I wonder if there were other color options and what those might have been. I am betting I will see some of these old Chris Craft boats when we move to New Hampshire. Boating on those big lakes up in the mountains is very a very popular activity.

I'm sure you will see plenty of them up in New Hampshire. We see plenty of them here in Mt. Dora and Tavares 6 miles from us because they host the Antique Boat show every year and they are chocked full of Chris Crafts of all flavors. Yes, I will run it to test it to make sure the Rattling Rita is sea worthy and trimmed properly. And if no one buys her, she will go to my grand babies when they get old enough to appreciate her. 

A short time ago, a fellow told me to be careful not to deviate from the manufactures original plans for these boats, if my intent was to sell them I guess assuming the buyer wanted it to be original to the boat or manufacture of it. But as I pointed out that I don't build to suite anyone but myself and if someone likes what I have done and wants to purchase it then great if not, no problem and this has always been my objective. The only exception to that would be if the build was a commission piece then I would build to suite the buyer. Now after building anything from tall ships models, R/C boats to R/C planes and a little something in-between at last count was around 50 that I have sold, traded, given away or donated, I think I can pretty much judge what people would be willing to buy. But now if they want museum quality, then that ain't my style.

I decided yesterday that would lay down some fiber glassing on the Ratlin Rita, but as I usually do before starting a fiber glassing project, I will use a piece of scrap wood and practice a bit if its been several months since I had last done it. I did some fiber glassing on the scrap board with both 4oz and 2oz cloth. When I finished with the scrap wood, I went inside for dinner as was preparing to glass the Rita when I noticed the scrap of wood was full of Lady bugs. I didn't see a one of those damn bugs when I went inside, but within an hour they managed to find the scrap wood and get stuck in the resin.

Now had that been the Ratlin Rita, that would have made a preacher cuss and especially me since I ain't no preacher. So Glassing will have to go for another day.

DSC00676.JPG

DSC00679.JPG

By the way, I have decided to go with the 2oz cloth, which will be strong enough, I found the 4oz to be a bit too heavy.

Now had I built the Ratlin Rita to keep, I would not have used fiber glass cloth to strengthen it. To me, its a wasted step unless the substructure is a light wood like balsa, but the substructure of this kit was plywood. Once it's coated with 4 coats of resin, you could drop it off of a building and probably wouldn't have a leak. But since it's going up for sale, I would go the extra effort.  

Edited by mtdoramike

3 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

I decided yesterday that would lay down some fiber glassing on the Ratlin Rita, but as I usually do before starting a fiber glassing project, I will use a piece of scrap wood and practice a bit if its been several months since I had last done it. I did some fiber glassing on the scrap board with both 4oz and 2oz cloth. When I finished with the scrap wood, I went inside for dinner as was preparing to glass the Rita when I noticed the scrap of wood was full of Lady bugs. I didn't see a one of those damn bugs when I went inside, but within an hour they managed to find the scrap wood and get stuck in the resin.

Now had that been the Ratlin Rita, that would have made a preacher cuss and especially me since I ain't no preacher. So Glassing will have to go for another day.

I do believe you got hit with a swarm of love bugs, not lady bugs. At least that's what it looks like to me. Either way, thank god and the preacher they didn't swarm your boat and only danced on your test piece. 😄

I don't blame you brother, that would have made me cuss, too.

I have had a couple of pm's regarding the installation of the graphic. I sealed the stern as with the entire hull with epoxy resin, then applied the vinyl graphic to the stern and then sealed it with a couple of thin coats of clear coat epoxy resin. Rita ain't going any where, but she can be covered with a thin mahogany veneer and epoxied over. Or you can sand and sand and sand until you remove the graphic, but that would near about be criminal. If she don't get your motor hummin then you better check your ticker. 

I hope to have the Ratlin Rita finished within the next couple of weeks if any interest in buying her, I will be listing her on the classifieds.

Edited by mtdoramike

Loving Rita - very nice touch!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 months later...

I just came across this forum, saw some great builds and was hoping someone could provide me with information on the Dumas 1230 kit.

i bought a mostly completed Dumas 1230 and intend to set up for RC use. However, the hull was not glassed and never had the bottom paint done, so a great time to do both.

What I need, if possible, are measurements to establishing the waterline. I have seen many pictures, but hate to guess. 
Any help would be appreciated.

When done, is like to share some pictures too!

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...