rafine

Lexington by rafine - 1:64 - semi-scratch build using Lumberyard semi-kit

Lexington is a small Continental Navy brigantine. The model is based on on drawings done by Dr. Clayton Feldman and a practicum written by him. Although it will be essentially a scratch build, I have classified it as a kit build because I am using the Lumberyard mini-kit for the POB framing and at least some of the wood, and will be using commercial parts for such things as the guns, blocks and deadeyes. 

In fact, I have used the laser cut bulkheads and keel former, but have cut my own stem, keel and sternpost from boxwood sheet and strip, rather than using the provided pieces. Work has begun in the usual fashion with the assembly of the  framing pieces, together with reinforcing pieces made from strip wood for strength and stability. I did have to cut slots for the masts into the keel former. 

The next items of work will be the bow and stern filler blocks and fairing of the hull.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_945.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_949.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_948.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_947.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_946.jpeg

Good start, Bob. It's good to see another example of this model being built and putting Clay's practicum back in the spotlight. I have changed the title to use the more appropriate term "semi-kit", which implies that many (or in this case, most) of the usual kit elements are not included. "Mini-kit" sounds more indicative of size, e.g. Mini-Mamoli, which this obviously isn't.

Cheers!

Nice start...Is it me or is the bulkhead former severely warped and bent?  I would also caution on that forward bulkhead.  The top timbers dont look like they have nearly enough thickness to fair them properly.  Just an observation.  I think fairing that hull is going to be a challenge.  I see you already added a bunch of strips to fix what looks like mis-shaped bulkheads.   Am I correct?  We shall see.

Chuck

Thanks so much Don. Chris, Chuck and Phil for the comments, and thanks also to the "likes".

I like the change Chris. Thanks.

Chuck, there is a very slight warp, but nothing severe. You are correct about the bulkheads. I anticipate doing a lot of building up and sanding to get it fair. A "challenge" sounds about right.

Bob

I though the same thing when I saw how thin the bulwark posts were.   how well did the parts come out of the parts panels?......noticed on the stern,  one of the post lost a layer of plywood {last picture,  port side}.    I'm sure it's nothing you haven't dealt with ;)    pleased to follow along :) 

Looking forward to what someone with true talent can do with this "kit". I bought it back when I was first looking for a Continental ship to build when I first wanted to start building ships again and was so disgusted withe what came in the mail that I boxed it up and labeled it as a bad purchase and put it on the shelf.

How did you deal with the lack of plans? Did you already have a set or were you able to get them elsewhere? 

Lou, I appreciate the vote of confidence. My reaction wasn't quite as severe as yours, but I admit that the difficulties in the fairing process have me shaking my head about the laser cut parts. As to the plans, I bought the Feldman practicum from NRG. This contains a set of plans, which have to be blown up to scale.

Bob

Those parts really should be redrawn to fix those issues using the plans and laser cut over again.  I am pretty sure that the bulkheads would fair if cut from the plans directly, but I must say that it looks impossible after seeing your photos Bob.  The outside edges of the bulkheads just look like they are the wrong shape in many instances.  My guess is when they were originally traced for laser cutting they were badly done.   I am watching your progress but also shaking my head because I cant see how that hull can ever be faired properly without adding at least another 3/32" of meat to many of those top=timbers.  Its the only way I can see getting a smooth contour to the hull outboard.  And its no guarantee that it will match the plans at that point.  Sorry to see that.

There needs to be a new corrected "starter package" for this project sold with full sized plans.

1 hour ago, rafine said:

shaking my head about the laser cut parts.

When I received my "Semi kit" I was shocked at what was missing and would have to be purchased elsewhere, but that even the plans would have to be bought on DVD and then have printed to scale. I would have felt a little less ripped off if the "kit" had included the plans and I had made the bulkheads and profile piece from scratch with wood provided. I think it would have also been a little less disingenuous if the advertisement for the "kit" would have had a little clearer description of what you were getting and not getting for "new" builders like myself. 

As it is I agree with Chuck and feel the supplied "parts" are pretty much useless and should either be eliminated, (With price adjusted) or corrected to raise the "kit" to something more than Box O Sticks status. 

Edited by lmagna

Hi Bob,

It will be fun to follow this build!  I built along with the original installments until life got in the way and I had to stop.  My version has been at this stage since 2008.  It will be a lot of fun to see someone else able to forge through completion.

Alan

IMG_0810.JPG

Thanks guys for both the encouragement and the commiseration.

Interestingly, I built this same model in around 2004-5, from a series of articles in Ships in Scale magazine. I don't recall having anywhere near this amount of trouble with the Lumberyard materials at that time.I no longer have the model, but I'm attaching a few poor photos, which are my only record of it.

All I can say at this point is that I will try to make this work, as I did with Essex, and see what happens. If it can't be faired satisfactorily, I will give it up at that point.

Bob

115_1582.JPG

115_1581.JPG

115_1580.JPG