Lexington by rafine - The Lumberyard - 1:64 - semi-scratch build using Lumberyard semi-kit

Lexington is a small Continental Navy brigantine. The model is based on on drawings done by Dr. Clayton Feldman and a practicum written by him. Although it will be essentially a scratch build, I have classified it as a kit build because I am using the Lumberyard mini-kit for the POB framing and at least some of the wood, and will be using commercial parts for such things as the guns, blocks and deadeyes. 

In fact, I have used the laser cut bulkheads and keel former, but have cut my own stem, keel and sternpost from boxwood sheet and strip, rather than using the provided pieces. Work has begun in the usual fashion with the assembly of the  framing pieces, together with reinforcing pieces made from strip wood for strength and stability. I did have to cut slots for the masts into the keel former. 

The next items of work will be the bow and stern filler blocks and fairing of the hull.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_945.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_949.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_948.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_947.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_946.jpeg

Good start, Bob. It's good to see another example of this model being built and putting Clay's practicum back in the spotlight. I have changed the title to use the more appropriate term "semi-kit", which implies that many (or in this case, most) of the usual kit elements are not included. "Mini-kit" sounds more indicative of size, e.g. Mini-Mamoli, which this obviously isn't.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Nice start...Is it me or is the bulkhead former severely warped and bent?  I would also caution on that forward bulkhead.  The top timbers dont look like they have nearly enough thickness to fair them properly.  Just an observation.  I think fairing that hull is going to be a challenge.  I see you already added a bunch of strips to fix what looks like mis-shaped bulkheads.   Am I correct?  We shall see.

Chuck

Excellent!  I am looking forward to seeing this build come together!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks so much Don. Chris, Chuck and Phil for the comments, and thanks also to the "likes".

I like the change Chris. Thanks.

Chuck, there is a very slight warp, but nothing severe. You are correct about the bulkheads. I anticipate doing a lot of building up and sanding to get it fair. A "challenge" sounds about right.

Bob

Good start Bob. Very happy to see and to follow this new build !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I though the same thing when I saw how thin the bulwark posts were.   how well did the parts come out of the parts panels?......noticed on the stern,  one of the post lost a layer of plywood {last picture,  port side}.    I'm sure it's nothing you haven't dealt with ;)    pleased to follow along :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking forward to what someone with true talent can do with this "kit". I bought it back when I was first looking for a Continental ship to build when I first wanted to start building ships again and was so disgusted withe what came in the mail that I boxed it up and labeled it as a bad purchase and put it on the shelf.

How did you deal with the lack of plans? Did you already have a set or were you able to get them elsewhere? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, I appreciate the vote of confidence. My reaction wasn't quite as severe as yours, but I admit that the difficulties in the fairing process have me shaking my head about the laser cut parts. As to the plans, I bought the Feldman practicum from NRG. This contains a set of plans, which have to be blown up to scale.

Bob

Those parts really should be redrawn to fix those issues using the plans and laser cut over again.  I am pretty sure that the bulkheads would fair if cut from the plans directly, but I must say that it looks impossible after seeing your photos Bob.  The outside edges of the bulkheads just look like they are the wrong shape in many instances.  My guess is when they were originally traced for laser cutting they were badly done.   I am watching your progress but also shaking my head because I cant see how that hull can ever be faired properly without adding at least another 3/32" of meat to many of those top=timbers.  Its the only way I can see getting a smooth contour to the hull outboard.  And its no guarantee that it will match the plans at that point.  Sorry to see that.

There needs to be a new corrected "starter package" for this project sold with full sized plans.

1 hour ago, rafine said:

shaking my head about the laser cut parts.

When I received my "Semi kit" I was shocked at what was missing and would have to be purchased elsewhere, but that even the plans would have to be bought on DVD and then have printed to scale. I would have felt a little less ripped off if the "kit" had included the plans and I had made the bulkheads and profile piece from scratch with wood provided. I think it would have also been a little less disingenuous if the advertisement for the "kit" would have had a little clearer description of what you were getting and not getting for "new" builders like myself. 

As it is I agree with Chuck and feel the supplied "parts" are pretty much useless and should either be eliminated, (With price adjusted) or corrected to raise the "kit" to something more than Box O Sticks status. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

All the best with your new build bob,  Looking forward to you moving forward with this,   I know if anyone can overcome a few  minor issues  - you can.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Bob,

It will be fun to follow this build!  I built along with the original installments until life got in the way and I had to stop.  My version has been at this stage since 2008.  It will be a lot of fun to see someone else able to forge through completion.

Alan

IMG_0810.JPG

Thanks guys for both the encouragement and the commiseration.

Interestingly, I built this same model in around 2004-5, from a series of articles in Ships in Scale magazine. I don't recall having anywhere near this amount of trouble with the Lumberyard materials at that time.I no longer have the model, but I'm attaching a few poor photos, which are my only record of it.

All I can say at this point is that I will try to make this work, as I did with Essex, and see what happens. If it can't be faired satisfactorily, I will give it up at that point.

Bob

115_1582.JPG

115_1581.JPG

115_1580.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have now done the bow blocks, the starboard stern block and the framing for the starboard gunports. I have also faired the starboard side (exterior only). The bad news: it looks butt-ugly; the good news: the fairing finally turned out well, after much effort and corrective work. Since none of this will be seen after planking, the appearance is not a concern to me. All I have to do now is duplicate this work on the port side. That will have to wait for at least a month, as work on Lexington will be suspended while we're away and work on the Longboat will be resumed.

fullsizeoutput_94b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_94c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_94d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_94f.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Cant wait to see how it turns out Bob.  I am afraid it might also happen to me after I finish the QAB.  Just 2 weeks after I acquired the wood for next project, the Winnie group/project came on line and took the forums by storm :) 

checking in to see your progress.........sorry to see your suspending the build.  must have taken a lot of work to get the starboard side look'in like that ;)   all for the best I imagine.   I've never looked into a group build before........it should prove quite interesting  :)   hey....what the heck.........tinker in your spare time.........you may be able to save her ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael, Winnie is hard to pass up.

Denis, at this point, I have no idea of when, or even whether, I will resume Lexington. In no event will it be while I'm doing Winnie.

Bob

I will follow this build, as only now have I seen your wonderful Halifax model. Inspiring -  true craftsmanship.

Stuart

--------------------

current build, Hanna, Robert Hunt Practicum.

on shelf-Victory Bow section,model shipways picket boat

completed: mare nostrum, Corel's Victory, San Felipe, Sovereign of the seas, Royal Caroline, Santa Lucia, Amerigo Vespucci (panart), Charles Morgan, Armed Launch, Galilee boat, Wappen von Hamburg, Great Harry, Oneida, La Real (Dusek) , Diane and Agamemnon

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I will follow this build, as only now have I seen your wonderful Halifax model. Inspiring -  true craftsmanship. And just noticed your civil war Picket Boat- frighteningly good.Not the "quicky" I thought. You inspire me.

Stuart

--------------------

current build, Hanna, Robert Hunt Practicum.

on shelf-Victory Bow section,model shipways picket boat

completed: mare nostrum, Corel's Victory, San Felipe, Sovereign of the seas, Royal Caroline, Santa Lucia, Amerigo Vespucci (panart), Charles Morgan, Armed Launch, Galilee boat, Wappen von Hamburg, Great Harry, Oneida, La Real (Dusek) , Diane and Agamemnon

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 1 month later...

Hey Bob  Good to see you modeling again.

I'm building a scratch build and will be looking forward to your blog for guidance. 

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 1 year later...

Hi Bob, I hate to see you stop on the Lex indefinately, you were doing some fine work on it and overcoming some of the pitfalls of a bad kit. I have seen and built some beautiful models from some god awful kits. I always say (and even to myself at times) it's never the kit, it's the builder. Issues can always be overcome it just depends on how much effort a person is willing to put into it.