Paint choice for molded plastic hull

Hi, I have a molded plastic half-hull of my full size sailboat, and would like to paint it to represent the real-life boat which is finished in two colors of Awlgrip. Awlgrip is too expensive and requires too much application skill for my model, so I'm looking for a substitute that will result in a glossy finish. Would you recommend enamel, and if so, which brand? Ideally I would like to mix colors to match the original (I have the rgb codes) and I can use an airbrush.

have you considered a rattle can

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Use a gloss clear coat over the paint used.  Just use a compatible clear coat.  Using same brand clear as the colors is best way to assure compatibility.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Tamiya has a good name in the plastic model community and is available worldwide

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/enamel_gloss/kit80001.htm

Capture.JPG.a349eb3054cb69406eb96c16b19b0be7.JPG

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."