US Brig Syren 1803 by Overworked724 – Model Shipways – Scale 1:64

12 minutes ago, CPDDET said:

Hopefully just a glue failure and nothing more than that.

Well. The bottom of the ship didn’t fall off!  🤣 So that’s a win. 👍🏽

Edited by Overworked724

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Sanity check as a minor diversion to the tedium of the interior bulkhead planking. 

My plan is to lay down a false deck and use thinner wood (1/32” or 3/64”) for my planking/margin. My hope is the false deck will give me greater stability and purchase while laying down the deck as well as nibbing and joggling at the bow. 

Took a sample of 0.5mm birch ply and a ~3/64” cedar plank. 

D7829129-F67E-4E15-A33D-B6C70C107829.jpeg.d8e14b676e40f7bf230fb22cfb5a5a21.jpeg

Went ahead and glued them and measured total thickness as almost perfectly 1/16” (0.0625”). Can’t get much closer. 

FC4DB7DE-5D3B-4FF7-B7E8-B6A223B70A64.jpeg.b4d3143bf982cc048bb1f884e773fc46.jpeg

1D306D38-2AD2-4C26-A9CA-3B614669DE58.jpeg.e175647495b3a2b3cd82a9616eda2057.jpeg

Quite Lucky that! 👍🏽  Laid it up against the bulkhead to check distance to the sills above the deck. 

84BB4F76-232B-4E9C-BA78-6BDE066A7AEE.jpeg.71b0876378ab9eb9737f5fc8c30dc744.jpeg

Relieved to see the gap between deck and sill is a comfy 1/8”. Should be sufficient room for the waterway and carronade swivel bracket without making it proud above the sill. 

Moving on...

:pirate41:

18 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

My plan is to lay down a false deck and use thinner wood (1/32” or 3/64”) for my planking/margin. My hope is the false deck will give me greater stability and purchase while laying down the deck as well as nibbing and joggling at the bow. 

This is a great idea.   Hopefully you won't mind if I follow suit. 

@Justin P. sure thing. No promises!  I’m spitballing here! 🤣

I think I got my stash of plywood at Hobby Lobby or some other kraft shop...but they do sell it on Amazon.

1/64” birch sheets, Midwest Products 5240. It‘s a bit pricey...but a 12” x 24” sheet would be way more than enough to cover the deck. 

Edited by Overworked724

Patrick the interior bulkheads around the gunport and sweep port is very amazing, great work. It looks as if there is sufficient distance between the deck and sill for the margin plank and waterway, so as not to have the same problem I had on mine. Very nice

Will  :pirate41:

still on holiday

Stay well and stay safe

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

@niwotwill Thanks, Will!  Your recent difficulty made me reassess my decking plan to ensure my measurement wasn’t off!!!

Edited by Overworked724

Well...COVID shutdown #2 is now in progress in Illinois.  I'll refrain from political commentary or opinions on the matter, as my ship building hobby and the modeling community are truly an escape from real life!  I'll just say that I pray you all stay sane, healthy, and happy during the Holidays - and that we all find 2021 to be a year where we can stand outside in the sun and feel normal once again. 

I think it's amazing how many build logs are helping me make decisions as I (very slowly) progress.  I believe me and @Justin P. are at about the same stage in our builds.  Good on you, Mate - your build is looking brilliant!  The build logs from other Syren modelers - @NovaStorm @WalrusGuy @niwotwill @abelson @Gahm  are continual sources of information and inspiration!    As for me, I'm enjoying and learning and relearning from new Syren builds like @Redshadowrider & @Bill Gormley.  I'd like to personally thank you all for your continual posts...they really are the fuel that helps keep the motor of a new modeler going.  Keep up the great work and remember, it's marathon....not a sprint.

:cheers:

Text update only.  Completed the interior bulkhead planking.  The sanding part is now in front of me to clean up the interior prior to painting....and I'm trying to think happy thoughts...like never having to sand again!  But as I start the clean up work on the interior bulkheads, I'm thinking about the margin plank, nibbing/joggling the deck planks, the cap rails, the stern davits, the waterways along with the scuppers and haws holes for the anchor cables.  Funny...the Admiral says I forget myself when I'm in the shipyard...and I do.  My mind just gets filled with too many little side projects at are a ship model.  LOL - what a great hobby!

Moving on - with one small note ==> The fixed blocks are now locked into the bulkheads and I am very very happy with the additional time spent to make them!  One tiny success...I'll take it.

Moving on...damn the torpedoes!

Edited by Overworked724

Thanks For the thoughts Overworked, it is appreciated that I can be of help even as a newbie.  And it is good to know others as yourself are quick to assist me when I have questions.  I know what you are saying about the COVID issue, I still have a hard time understanding why someone laying in a hospital bed still can’t believe it’s what they have.  My brother-in-law and my aunt are still on the road to recovery.  With our new grandson we are remaining pretty much quarantined so we can visit again.  Good luck and stay healthy.

Took a break from the build to make a few decisions. Decided that now that I have some nice Swiss pear wood to attempt my deck furniture, I decided to rethink the wood for the deck. I was going to use cedar, but really think The contrast would be a bit stark. A Swiss pear deck would look sweet, but really want to save it for other things. Since the deck gets brutalized a lot, I’ve decided to got with boxwood which is harder than cedar. I won’t even consider basswood...the crap I got in the kit made it to the firewood scrap bucket...it’s just waiting it’s turn to burn. I have a stash of boxwood I have never used before....so what the hell. 

I went ahead and calculated out the rough square area of the deck (overestimating by about 20% since I figured the area as if the deck were rectangular) and milled my 1/8” wide (0.4mm thick) boxwood deck planks.  I think I should have enough. 

While I was doing that, I also made a little ‘plank edge jig’ to hold the planks when I need to clean up the edges or use pencil simulate deck caulking without smudging up other areas of the plank. 

88B35365-E4A6-4D7B-BD02-9568D4DC32C7.jpeg.3179e8b7c1f85d252c85440cbe14d792.jpeg

FC0A3C17-AA35-4852-9CF4-63D8CBFDA242.jpeg.cb35379475583adf691bac3655941b29.jpeg

I’m really just procrastinating. I needed a break from sanding...😣.

Edited by Overworked724

I agree the jig is a great idea...  gonna steal that one too!   Yes I think we are more or less around about the same stage.  I started painting my interior bulkheads this week and have been taking it very slow.   Im glad tp be setting aside the heavy sanding papers for a bit thats for sure!   Im looking forward to what you do with your decking, I havent given that as much thought as you and the others have and up until this point was planning to go ahead with the basswood, now youve got me thinking...    

Made (another) faux deck with boxwood. Same thing...just used a section of 1/32” basswood sheeting and laid out some planks using pencil to simulate caulking. No butt joints this time, just some trunnels (cedar) for effect. 

After I cut the piece down to slide easily (but snugly) into the second deck area...I added a dollop of natural stain to bring out the trunnels and the color. 

To be honest...the cedar deck (right) is still pretty damned nice. But I do like the butterscotch hue and clearly defined round shape of the trunnels of the boxwood deck (left). 

609E0928-1EBF-4E1F-BF16-79AFD01BF37B.jpeg.abdfb6955364eea8309bbd848f30ec22.jpeg

I’m going with boxwood this time. But it’s nice to have a backup using cedar and that wood is always available (So thankful Chuck’s model company Syren always keeps stock!)

Moving on...

Edited by Overworked724

A dusty Sunday!  Got the bulkhead tops roughly sanded and squared up.

7B145758-2532-4840-9831-18F370EAAFC5.jpeg.c2de9d331dd023cd6ff4e047e1db9a58.jpeg

...and finally attacked the sanding of the interior bulkheads. I find that using a rolled up fluffy bath towel twisted double and held with a couple rubber bands makes the perfect sanding cradle. 

CD50C07E-B2CB-4BA2-8B24-71A7D677EC46.jpeg.66b01ea095db5ff652cdf67a1d16c713.jpeg

0493D0FE-DE48-4F71-B516-BBD4A976B87A.jpeg.06a44ef03d8783c0d8879aae9fc08e6c.jpeg

My main weapon of choice in sanding is an adhesive backed 120 grit rotary sanding pad doubled up on itself. I trimmed it to shape to allow me easy access across the entire inner bulkhead. Nice thing is it’s thick and holds its shape if you bend it to give it good curvature to reach those curvy areas near the bow. 

...and...more bonus pics...

B230E4F7-992A-4B56-A99E-CBFCB5720994.jpeg.9ee41dbb946fed2b2f3231f36daca282.jpeg

07727DCA-1C15-4764-BD34-644367220316.jpeg.dd6aafcba1c83dbc87ae968341e2c443.jpeg

6168D8CB-3C21-4838-81FA-998C3CCCF986.jpeg.a108be9345a9e0834e2f17ca1edd9e5f.jpeg

10185D88-1279-4ED8-8588-A75F7A63FE1F.jpeg.daef6ad0fe1ed6024cf3a1e7370a223e.jpeg

Moving on!!!!

Edited by Overworked724

Another awesome update! I use sanding disks as well, i cut them in half twice so i have four equal parts, this creates an even tighter sanding area. Looking great!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Well...was bound to happen....

Was drilling the holes on the exterior bulkhead for the scuppers. Slipped and gouged one of the holes pretty badly. 

8714098E-830D-4B6F-B218-2715EE6D9EF1.jpeg.f99d92e4c9eb33d28d321edcc1fbb7e7.jpeg

I could have clean it up best I could and lived with it...but since I screwed up I thought I would test the old adage “Wood is forgiving!”...a phrase so many of my fellow modelers are fond of saying. 

Surgery for the mulligan attempt went like this...

3A342798-5833-40E9-846A-2B592586DE93.jpeg.996b91fe8757c09b51ff44d7591b59ab.jpeg

09AC9AEE-C4D1-4DF1-8029-58EC3E79D50B.jpeg.289eb11f9b4c0578f64fbc31247d2bfe.jpeg

638F7E5B-84E9-4C24-82AC-35156C389F14.jpeg.10960388771bafec9c159b3e56bd5707.jpeg

...we’ll see how my repeat attempt to drill out that scupper works before I say the adage is true. 😣

...Going to bed. 

Edited by Overworked724

Ok. Wood ‘filler’ is forgiving. Wood not so much. 🤨

Redrilled the errant scupper on starboard side. It’s passable but not perfect...but the chainplates will obscure any imperfections. 

I’ll note a deviation here from the plans. There should be 5 scuppers in a row on each side starting back from the second sweep hole near the bow. I skipped the hole adjacent to the main mast because I put a butt joint directly beneath that sweep hole on both sides. Symmetry for the win...not.

5A4BF4CE-D2E0-4683-A974-05005739AD51.jpeg.1f41686b4b452502917e727085143b32.jpeg

It would have looked like crap if I drilled the scupper in the middle of a butt joint...and the steps/rails near that sweep made putting it in off center a non-starter. 

Head Bang #1!!!   :default_wallbash:  Note to future self...read the bloody plans. 

Ah, well...artistic license for the win!!!

Moving on...

Edited by Overworked724

55 minutes ago, NovaStorm said:

I won't tell anyone Pat, honest  ^_^

Thanks, Robin!  🤫. But it’s going to be glaring at me every time I look at it!  The admiral looks at my Sultana and says, “It’s perfect!”  ...and I see so many things I messed up or covered up!  🤣

I can see now...my Syren will be no different.  But that’s our hobby!  Gotta love it. 👍🏽

Patrick, are you planning on drilling the scuppers through the hull? Or part way like the instructions suggest? 

I went ahead to drill part way since I was scared of messing things up... 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

56 minutes ago, WalrusGuy said:

Patrick, are you planning on drilling the scuppers through the hull? Or part way like the instructions suggest? 

I went ahead to drill part way since I was scared of messing things up... 

I went all the way through.  My original (finger quote) "plan" was to use copper tubing to fit into the scuppers but it was just too difficult to gauge accurately.  This was why I was doing this now versus after painting and planking the deck.  But...best laid plans so to speak....The scuppers will be as they are...dark holes!  LOL The holes which popped through the other side will be below deck level or covered by the triangular piece which makes up the waterways.  

5 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

But it’s going to be glaring at me every time I look at it!

Perhaps now you now which side of the ship will be displayed?  Great recovery though.   Now dont mind me as I fret over this in addition to every other upcoming step ;)

Well, making cap rails are easy in principal....not in practice. The grain of the cedar is problematic in making a clean edge on the curved part near the bow. 

Considering I have a cheapie scroll saw that bounces all over the counter under high revs, my options for tools in making these are limited...😤

Moving on to an evening glass of wine. 🍺

Edited by Overworked724