US Brig Syren 1803 by Overworked724 – Model Shipways – Scale 1:64

Touch painting done on both sides.  Installed and stained (natural) the inboard haweshole guides  (not certain what you call them).  Also ran the anchor cables through them again after touch ups and the guide install...all good. 

D0957F1E-F0D3-4DC3-A042-A3BDE4D0F59B.jpeg.65423bbee3de9e8394818c9fd005007a.jpeg

2E8AD75D-ABBE-4010-8B65-B89946F98251.jpeg.939854e6b1d87d2c70546b83da50f057.jpeg

The deck is done!  Took me a while.

Moving on...

:dancetl6:

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

That cleaned up really nicely.   Is the tape along the cap rail just for protection?    I also find the tone and contrast of your deck, waterways and margin plank really pleasing.   

36 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

That cleaned up really nicely.   Is the tape along the cap rail just for protection?    I also find the tone and contrast of your deck, waterways and margin plank really pleasing.   

Thanks Justin!  The contrast is an accident...LOL. But I agree with you...it does lend to a subtle difference in tone which I expect is due to the Castello boxwood used for the margin and hawsehole, versus the English boxwood I used for the deck planking.  The tape is just for some minor protection - as I have not yet installed the cap rails.  They are painted and awaiting install...but I'm hesitant to add them until I'm ready.  I have the pins and guide holes drilled in the bulkhead and rails, so install will be painless (he said hopefully).  Part of me wants to get the carronades and bulkhead fittings in before I stick on the cap rails.  This way I thought I could always adjust if needed - after the little bits are in.  

46 minutes ago, CPDDET said:

Your painting skills are great. Really beautiful looking deck. You should be very proud.

Thanks, Dave!  The deck did turn out better than I'd hoped.  But my painting skills are only average - and that's only when using black paint!  😆

Pounding out thousands (hundreds actually) of brass plates while I plan the pintles and gudgeons. I want to have some idea of the ‘how’ I lay them on before I ‘make’ the darn things. 🤔

Actually, this was my problem on the Sultana. This is a finicky part of the build. After coppering, I can’t just slap them on with the expectation that glue or fingerprints won’t get all over my coppering!  I’m taking my time here...

Meanwhile, I’m taking a page from @Justin P. ‘s log and decided to distract/procrastinate from coppering by building out the lumber for my gun port doors. I have a unique idea I want to try...so I made a bunch of 2x and 3x layered sections of the spare 1/8” wide cedar planks I had handy.  Used pencil again to simulate caulking. More to follow...

8E9824C0-9547-40BA-BEF4-23D465F95D0B.jpeg.58223d1568723d0dc49c1d3dac6489e9.jpeg

Bang! Bang! (as I hammer out my copper plates) :pirate41:

Edited by Overworked724

Work is getting in the way again.  But the distraction of the gun port doors is kind of fun...

I made a bunch of long sections (above). My plan was to carve the edges with my table saw and use a small diameter Dremel sanding barrel to form the rounded cut outs. Then I can paint the long section, cut the doors out, and finish and edge paint the sides to finish them up. 

Here was my first pass...not bad at some initial trials. Will make the doors en masse now. 

Some fun pics...

3EA93E4E-E5B9-4A35-A4EB-91C1055D6050.jpeg.af71d53b2b6274866c521e68d947d1b4.jpeg

96737E1F-6196-4655-8CD9-9127D575E83B.jpeg.b9ef3c3473e670dae995a11d31c3c67e.jpeg

Edited by Overworked724

Looks great, are you using two layers or did you file down the edges?  You got a very clean line. 

1 hour ago, Justin P. said:

Looks great, are you using two layers or did you file down the edges?  You got a very clean line. 

I used my mini table saw (Byrnes saw).  I just brought the level of the blade down to 1/2 the plank width (1/32') and ran it along the entire edge on both sides.  The sections are made from gluing two 1'8" wide x 1/16" thick strips at the edge using some carpenter's glue.  I honestly don't know why I penciled the edges...force of habit?  Once I cut the doors, I'll just run the same edge along the blade to cut out the edges.  

The semi-circle take a few seconds with the thin barrel sander (diameter is a shade over 1/8" thick.  

Ok...so went overboard making my half doors. I softened the edges of the gun slot. Will paint the inner side before cutting them out. The stern and bow doors I’ve decided to make as a single piece and will cut them to fit. 

3C6E9412-F619-48A7-BA62-B1DCF7D1B8EC.jpeg.38e5733abf843e447e6ecce8227ace93.jpeg

Futzed with the port doors a bit more. Cut in the rabbets on the sides. Touched up by sanding and ready for final painting. Like I said....went a bit over board!

49934954-2DB4-46A7-8AE7-B85E4B9B8662.jpeg.90cefce4a045eea3934e7c1f3a54594a.jpeg

After I get the doors prepped, I’ll put them off to the side and get to figuring out the pintles and gudgeons. I really need to get those in my head before jumping on the copper plating. 

Edited by Overworked724

8 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

Futzed with the port doors a bit more. Cut in the rabbets on the sides. Touched up by sanding and ready for final painting. Like I said....went a bit over board!

"going a bit overboard" is half the fun of this hobby.

Looking good.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

2 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Nice job.   

Thanks! 👍🏽 You are inspiring me. Actually, your investment in the alternative copper plating really has me second guessing. Yours turned out beautiful, as did you pintles/gudgeons. That’s something I’ve been struggling with....

8 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

Actually, your investment in the alternative copper plating really has me second guessing.

I think they were worth it for me, I knew I wouldn't have fun making the things.   In the end I think I would do a few things differently if I were to do those plates again, but otherwise IM happy with them.

My super slow motion build continues. Work and some health issues keeping me from shipyard recently. 

Thought I’d post how I painted the little bits. Got the 1/2 doors for the gun ports painted, but the hinges/handles not installed yet. 

I secure them on a piece of Tamiya tape which is itself adhered to a wood support by some double sided scotch tape. It makes the painting quick. 

AFE9A311-654C-4A68-9CF9-525C5A363FDC.jpeg.ae37fefd1a41ac69c3b844951f73586d.jpeg

I plan to paint the carronade swivel brackets next, and start assembly of the carronades as a little side project. 

38618947-27A7-4780-ADF5-6A84FCC6DC25.jpeg.7bfec9e71cc333931106ed114ea23c38.jpeg

I did manage to complete but not yet paint the bow and stern bulkhead port doors. 

4500CB77-27E0-49FB-AD90-EE9486359BA0.jpeg.575db3c574c47c93eba5ca9a7ce31772.jpeg

DD0F922F-9BA6-4203-B889-363EFC84EDF3.jpeg.5f16b1e584e89b3096861016cb9f2ed5.jpeg

These are rough made and still need some work. I still need to make the stern port doors. 

Moving on...

:dancetl6:

Edited by Overworked724

Looks great! Very crisp!! 🙂 I really like how the red looks!

You may want to consider slightly bending/shaping the ones at the bow to follow the same curvature as the neighboring planks. I did not know that this is what was actually done in practice when I was working on them (and thus its too late for me to try it), but came across this in Chuck's build log of the Winchelsea. Maybe in 1:64 scale this would be difficult to do, but just wanted to throw this idea out there in case you want to try it out.

Here is the link: 

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

One thing to consider on my side has been the doors. More specifically, when to put them on.  I mean, theoretically, they could go on last...like even after the flags. There is absolutely no interference from other elements in the build except the chain plates. Which is why I’m questioning when I should install them. 

So...once I’ve completed them, I’ll just number them up and wait a bit. My figuring here is that if you install them in the open position now, the chain plates become a bit more fussy to install later. It’s a tight fit...especially those two amidships on either side. 

I’m not certain if I’ll install them closed or open. My carronades fit the shape of the curved opening perfectly. So I might just remake them to fit closed...but it will depend on how well the carronades come out. 

So...I’ll be waiting a bit before I continue with the doors. ☺️ Decisions decisions. 

Edited by Overworked724

My super slo-mo build continues. Made some brass rings today. The kit only came with a small assortment of smaller rings, so used some 0.4mm thick brass wire and wrapped it around a #65 drill bit set in a pin vise. Clipped them out with a sprue cutter. Ready for blackening whenever...the brass wire I had was stiff...assumed it was annealed so used a lighter to heat up the wire first...then it bent like putty. 

B83E0CC9-67E0-4D96-9E3C-81E18A601DE4.jpeg.8b09067456f1ae12143f7c19a6f9f2db.jpeg

Final outer diameter was 1.7mm. Same as the kit (shinier bits on top).

8FB9AE8B-C24C-43D8-8624-EA8EF83991B2.jpeg.5f705a67b2719d2e7cd35edd5f9ba2aa.jpeg

Interesting find. In searching for wire, I found a set of cannon with walnut carriages and brass wheels. 

D4201FEA-63F5-4279-AAA5-F3053C4035F2.jpeg.aa541ce4eac510ff5d62ba15099a0a37.jpeg

Compared them side by side with the Shipways kit on the far left (🤮), the Syren parts I ordered in the middle (👍🏽), and my find on the right (🤔). 

D1FE0725-0A7A-4A58-9934-4C1AF6B3B1BC.jpeg.85fd21c135830a997117785ff8abd213.jpeg

B79BB551-CEC2-49F4-A27F-B25947EC721D.jpeg.b9c86e0a89d9354e4225900715f6466a.jpeg

I can’t remember where I got that set...might have been a part of a drawing or find from my ship club, but I’m kind of liking the wider cannon. 

To be continued!!!  

Edited by Overworked724

Got the swivel brackets mounted. Was a bit finicky trying to get them mounted square...finally made a little mounting jig called a ‘stick’ to line them up on the edge of the ports.🤣

4DB21F5E-DF77-4979-A2D2-2CAA07EDE05D.jpeg.4ba814d65bd0b73985717a5d4f7a212f.jpeg

Moving on...

Edited by Overworked724

AFAIK, a 32lb cannon ball would have been 6 and a bit inches, so at 1/64 about 0.1". A 12lb maybe 0.07". Visually smaller than you'd expect.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Well, the spare set I found are certainly largest in bore size. They are thicker but same relative length. The kit provided Britainnia piece is next largest. While the Syren provided one is same exterior dimensions as the kit provided cannon, but with a much smaller bore. 

In truth...I am thinking the Syren ones might be closest. But unless I could actually turn my own, I’m less inclined to try to mimic historical accuracy. 

So the Britannia pieces (no surprise...) are going in the trash. I’ll work up both the mystery cannon and the Syren cannon and see which look best. 

😎

Edited by Overworked724

Your ship is looking fantastic.  I was hoping you had reached the copper plating part so I could see what ingenious tool you put together for stamping.  Alas, I am going to have to go it alone. 😁😁  I am going to test stamping by placing a flat headed bolt in my drill press and using pressure to make the nail head impressions.  I am hoping this will put less stress on the stamper in the instruction book. Keep up the great work.

44 minutes ago, Redshadowrider said:

Your ship is looking fantastic.  I was hoping you had reached the copper plating part so I could see what ingenious tool you put together for stamping.  Alas, I am going to have to go it alone. 😁😁  

I made my stamps a while back.  See my build log post #10-11, #37, and #76.  I tried the drill press option but didn't get clean bolt impressions.  Opted for the hammer method instead and got some good results.  Work getting in the way of my beloved shipyard! 

p.JPG.2c0e2221cda8e430ef41866ce3706d27.JPG

Enjoy!!!!

Edited by Overworked724

20 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

Work getting in the way of my beloved shipyard! 

Me too.   All the time Ive had is slipping away as we ease out of COVID restrictions.   I guess there was a silver lining in all this.