Hi all, I could really do with some help.

I've got some Humbrol clear Matt varnish but when used on the painted deck fittings it dries with white patches and looks terrible. I've tried doing a couple of very thin coats but get same results, how do I stop this or should I use different varnish?

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I have always used Ronseal Mattcoat clear varnish (polyurethane), as this gives a perfect 'eggshell' finish. recently though, I have discovered The Army Painter 'Anti-Shine' matt varnish, which is also excellent.

I find it is better to spray the varnish on once most parts are in place.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

The 'matt' in Matt Varnish is brought about by adding very finely ground pumice or the likes to the varnish. This will settle with time, so needs to be very thoroughly stirred before and during use. The white patches may be higher concentrations of the matting agent. I remember this from the days, when I used Humbrol enamels.

Question: why do you put clear varnish on something already painted ?

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Agree with Wefalck. Probably needs more thinning and more stirring but matt Humbrol is more difficult to apply than gloss and satin . Also do not go over the same area with the brush, trust the varnish.

I think you need too thin much more

Even in the days, when I applied Humbrol by brush, I avoided altogether the Matt Varnish because of exactly these white spots.

Actually, I don't see much use for really matt varnish in ship modelling. Very few parts, apart from those where the paint has been eroded by seawater and UV light, would be completely flat.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Try the water based polyurethane Valejo, not as tough as the enamel Humbrol but much easier to use and overall does the job well. No brush marks at all, no special skills needed, just slap it on! Amazing self levelling properties