Shimakaze by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Hasegawa - 1:350 - Japanese WWII Destroyer

Ron, your sea is really incredible.  The mixing of the colors with green in it is fantastic.  I can get away with a lot more at 1/350 than you can at the scale you were working in.  The trailing edges of your waves are a real work of art - looks just like the real thing!  And interesting pictures of the cat hair smoke!

@king derelict, your cat looks too comfortable to have someone plucking hairs.  Is that a Maine Coon?  My parents had them.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

5 hours ago, HardeeHarHar said:

People like you set the bar so high.  Your work is incredible, and the diorama is so realistic.  Epic job.

Hey Brian, thanks for the kind words.  Honestly, if you spend some time on youtube you can get a lot of ideas on how to go about doing the sea.  There are many brilliant modelers out there that freely share their techniques and demystify how dioramas are done.  There are lots of ways - the crinkled foil technique, using artist paper, carving seas in wood or foam board, sculpting it in clay, and even pouring it in resin.  Depending on scale, choppiness of the sea, etc., some methods are better than others I would think.  For this one, I just used the crinkled foil technique which is fairly simple.  I used that same technique on my Hatsuzakura at 1/700.  I have some 1/700 ships I'm working on now that will be in calm water situations - there, I might try using a different method.

The trickier thing for me at least is how to get the shading of the water to look realistic.  You really don't want to paint a single color, but layer on different shades and colors, which is fairly easy using an airbrush.  I actually only used 3-4 different colors on mine via airbrush, then went back in by hand to add some of the waves and foam.  

You should give it a try.  Personally, I think ships look better in their element - in the water, with sails, etc.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

17 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

@king derelict, your cat looks too comfortable to have someone plucking hairs.  Is that a Maine Coon?  My parents had them.

ike

Well, a Maine Coon cross really. I got her and her sister as kittens from the local rescue place four years go. They are turning out to be great little companions.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

A tremendous finish on this model Mike, congratulations.  Excellent seas simulation as well - a beautiful model all around!

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks very much Gary, really appreciate the kind words!

Mike