Advise on a particular model-1st build

Hello. I would like to try to build a model ship for the first time. I have located a ship that I love and it’s labeled beginner. I would like to know if this ship and company would be “smooth sailing” for a beginner. I once started a giant doll house that sadly, I did not complete because I got stuck and lost interest. Looking for success this time! See below for the ship I was considering:

https://premiershipmodels.us/product/endeavour-yacht-scale-180-ship-model-kit-amati-1700-10/

Hi Crista,

Welcome to MSW.

If you'll go here to the database, you'll find two areas that might help.  One is "The Plans and Research" and the other is the "Materials and Tools"

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php  The articles should give you some idea of what to expect along with what you'll need.

Also, there's the quick find index for kit bulds here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php

Pick the Wooden Ships one and it will download a PDF to your computer.  Open and scroll down it and you'll find "Endevour J Class" builds.  Those should give you a pretty good idea of how it goes together and any pitfalls along the way.

When you're ready, open a build log as it's a great way to get help.   Oh... and have fun.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Is that the Amati kit?  If so there instructions leave something to be desired in my opinion.  You might want to consider a first build from one of the manufactures that provide really good instructions like Modelshipways.  There are other companies that provide usable instructions.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Welcome Christa. I tend to agree with grsjax - the amati kits instructions can be frustrating at times - very little actual construction info. I have looked at them in the past and wasn't impressed, Model shipways and Midwest models are quite nice and the instructions are much easier to follow - especially for someone just starting out in this hobby. Don't be duscouraged however. If that is the one you have your heart set on go for it. There are plenty of "old salty dogs" here to turn to for help if needed. This is an extremely enjoyable hobby so have fun while your are about it.

I vote for the Model Shipways Sultana. LOL

But I’m biased...it’s the only wooden ship model I’ve made so far!  

:cheers:

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Christa,

If you ask a dozen different people you will get a dozen different opinions. 

My 1st was a AL 1805 Swift Pilot. It was one of the early ones without the sails. I bought it on Ebay for $40. I ended up throwing it away. But I learned about framing (keeping everything square), planking, tapering masts, painting, rigging and more. For me it was a cheap education. 

You can't learn how to swim reading a book. I had to just jump in and learn as you go. I just recently saw a documentary about the late TV painter Bob Ross. He said everyone has the ability to paint. All one needs is a strong desire to be successful.

My only advice is don't jump in over your head and buy a great big three masted fully rigged ship. You may find out, this isn't for you. 

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Gidday Christa and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I can only second what has been said in the above posts.

One thing I  would advise is to search the build logs for this kit or ship.

You will see what is entailed in the build and any, hopefully, pitfalls or shortcomings in the kit.

I wish you all the best in your research.

Mark.

4 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Christa and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I can only second what has been said in the above posts.

One thing I  would advise is to search the build logs for this kit or ship.

You will see what is entailed in the build and any, hopefully, pitfalls or shortcomings in the kit.

I wish you all the best in your research.

Mark.

Great advice!  Agree that if there is a full build log with pics it aid your comfort level in progression through the stages of your build. 

Good luck!👍🏽 

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.