Fittings....need alternative suppliers (edited by admin and moved)

Cornwall Model Boats has a really good selection.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 11 months later...
On 7/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Cornwall Model Boats has a really good selection.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, Gregory said:

I have had a good experience with Crafty Sailor ...

Also with Cornwall...

I use Cornwall https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk  and sometimes modeldockyard https://www.model-dockyard.com.

Both are in the UK so us Americans 🇺🇸don’t pay the vat which I believe is 21% but we have to wait a few weeks for customs clearance so pay the few extra $ for tracking.  I ordered the 19th and it still in transit 10 days later.  An example is copper fittings cost $3.00 for 100 but you look at US or Canadian stores and they want anywhere from $10 up.

It is one of the FEW & ONLY things I have seen cheaper than in the USA.  The other is baby formula.  My wife is a dual citizen US & Australia 🇦🇺 but her family is mostly in UK 🇬🇧 (long story) & I have family in Spain 🇪🇸 & Portugal 🇵🇹& most of them are university educated her family and mine so by their definition (not ours) they’re middle class in status not working. I did a post masters degree at London School of Economics, I lived over there for 16 months.   The Europeans go ballistic when they come here.  In the summer Clinton & Westbrook CT Outlets don’t speak English.  Jeans for $20 not £100 €115 or getting a Hilfinger or Lauren polo shirt for $25 not £130 €145.  NYC is cheap to them. My wife says their fittings are cheaper over in Europe as no one has any money for hobbies after trying to pay mortgage and food so they can’t jack that stuff up.   I am not rich but to them I’m a Getty l, Bloomberg or a Trump.  She gets ultra depressed after visiting.  My P.O.V.

Used to buy a lot of tools, new and antique, in the USA, but since the US Postal Service has discontinued 'surface mail' it often costs more to ship than the price of the goods. So this is only a proposition, if you are desparate for something antique. The Chinese send most of their new stuff for free .. probably subsidized, but it is my money.

As for medical treatment, it really depends on in which country you are and what kind of insurance scheme you have.

For consumer goods and food there are big price differences between the different European countries. It also depends on, whether you buy brands or not. We buy a lot of stuff during our frequent trips to Spain, as most things there are a lot cheaper than in Paris ...

In spite of all that, I think many people live a rather comfortable life in Europe. Of course, there are also poor people, but the poor are still better off than many other people around the world. The socio-economic differences are much less pronounced than in the USA or let alone in the emerging economies or developing countries.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

2 hours ago, Mr.Big said:

She is right as living over there isn’t living they are all the same 90% barely making it.  I am not rich but to them I’m a Getty l, Bloomberg or a Trump.  She gets ultra depressed after visiting.  My P.O.V.

Not sure I recognise that, if you studied at the LSE it’s fair to say you have a London centric view of the UK, the rest of the UK varies tremendously from London and quite a lot of us are doing OK. Where I live disposable income is a lot higher than London and quality of life much is better. 

Sure as Wefalck says we have our poor sections of society, but we have free welfare, education and health systems that capture even the poorest in UK and European societies, there is a value to attach to those benefits which has to be factored in to international comparisons.

But as you say your POV

What do baby formula and jeans have to do with model ship fittings?    Mods, seems to be getting political.......

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

19 minutes ago, allanyed said:

What does baby formula and jeans have to do with model ship fittings?    Mods, seems to be getting political.......

Agree, it's heading that way. The original question was asked and answered. Let's keep any additional posts on topic. Thanks, gentlemen!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Just gentle reminder to keep this on topic and all political commentary out of MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)