Cape Byron Lighthouse by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - HMV - 1:250 - CARD

Hi all,

I've taken a small break from my M1-24D Hind helicopter to make a present for my Admiral. It's a paper kit of the Cape Byron Lighthouse in NSW Australia. Here's a pic of the real thing :

cape-byron-historic-heritage-01.jpg

The kit is published by HMV (Germany) in 1:250 scale. The kit also has three other Australian Lighthouses, but I probably won't make them unless I find myself "kitless" at some stage.

The kit is well printed and designed, even with the use of tabs. All the parts so far have fitted perfectly. The instructions aren't the best, but workable. The card it is printed on is good quality, although with a touch too much of a "plastic" feel when folding it. This makes crisp folds a bit more difficult than usual. I also bought the optional laser-cut sheets which contain some really tiny parts and some great-looking mesh railings :

IMG_6160.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

These pics are from the kit of a finished model :

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

IMG_6146.JPG

First thing to make is the base, which has grassed areas and a car ramp :

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

The windows are recessed to give a feeling of depth :

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

The lower section :

IMG_6154.JPG

IMG_6157.JPG

A decorative moulding is on each external corner :

IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6156.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

19 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Hate to tell you Danny, but just to be pedantic, it's Cape Byron Lighthouse! ;)

John

Quite correct John :D.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

A "cupola" is fitted to each corner of the deck. This is the card of parts for  them. I scored all the fold lines before cutting out the individual pieces. One good (but at first confusing) feature of this kit is that all fold lines are printed on the BACK side of the part, so they don't show on the finished side. Cut lines on folded parts are also printed on the back side :

IMG_6161.JPG

One of the cupola roofs :

IMG_6162.JPG

The cupolas fitted :

IMG_6163.JPG

Next is the very complex "castle" type battlements. The instructions don't give much of an idea on how they are assembled, but I managed to work it out OK. Once again these are printed on the back side of the part, the face side is just blank white. Careful cutting was needed :

IMG_6167.JPG

The battlements fitted. I glued these in stages and let the glue set between each stage. I also added extra support pieces to the deck and under each lower section. It would have been very difficult to assemble each piece without them. These were actually quite a bit easier to do than they appear :

IMG_6164.JPG

IMG_6166.JPG

IMG_6165.JPG

IMG_6168.JPG

An overview of the lighthouse to date. The light itself is the next stage :

IMG_6169.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

you did a superb job with the opera house Danny.......this should go better for you now that you have the lay of the land ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What an impressive lighthouse...beautiful.

Great job on the card model......love lighthouses and yours in wonderful.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks guys :) .

Here's the light. There are laser-cut parts to be fitted, starting with these "wrought iron" brackets which support the mesh railing under the light :

IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6171.JPG

The dome on top of the light came out well, thanks mainly to the support I fitted in the middle of it :

IMG_6172.JPG

IMG_6173.JPG

I used a piece of PE brass railing left over from one of my ships to make the platform rail. It's not quite the right spacing between posts, but who would know :D ?IMG_6197.JPG

These are officially the smallest paper pieces I've ever fitted, they represent brick supports :

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

The bricks fit under the roof of the toilet :

IMG_6195.JPG

A little bonus - a WB Holden Sandman Panel Van which took me about 3 hours to make. The kit supplies two of these plus two Kombi Vans which are optional extras. One was enough :D :

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6177.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

A Weather Vane sits atop the light dome. The orientation of North is correct (before you check it John :D ) :

IMG_6185.JPG

There is an Anemometer where the original radio antenna used to be. I think the antenna was removed when radio technology improved :

IMG_6184.JPG

With the fitting of the safety railings the model is FINISHED :

IMG_6189.JPG

IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6182.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG

IMG_6186.JPG

IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

A vary handsome model....and in card...wonderful.

Your clear attention to clean gluing and crisp folds is quite telling of your skill. 

Love it..... and I'm sure it will be loved by the Admiral and will find a place of honor.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

you really should do the other vans.........that one looks so cool!  :)    superb job Danny........totally awesome build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 7/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, rwiederrich said:

I'm sure it will be loved by the Admiral and will find a place of honor.

Rob

I took it to her place this morning - she's stoked with it :) . She's giving it to her grandson who's name happens to be ......... (drum roll) ........ BYRON :D .

Thanks for the comments guys :) . Now it's back to the Hind helicopter.

Danny

Cheers, Danny