HMS Pickle by mugje - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - first build

Your deck looks great! Doing a nice job of it all...

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Does anyone has some tips about how to install the capping rails? It's a tricky situation.

I tried with wood glue and nails, but it's not really accurate. The nails are splitting the bulwarks.

I only drilled holes in the capping rails (a bit smaller then the nails itself). Maybe also in the bulwarks?

It's to difficult to clamp it somehow.

Hi Mugje I held my capping rails on Sherbourne down with elastic  bands as you can put quite a bit of tension on with them.

Hope this helps  

BTW  very nice job

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Great tips! Thank you both!

I have now first soaked the capping rails and dry fitted them with nails really careful, drilled the rails and the bulwarks. I'm letting this set for two days (going on a trip tommorow😁)

Then i hope the rails have the nice bend already in them when i'm gonna glue them with the elastic bands👍.

Sounds like great tips guys. I tried the bands but they pusht them inside the bulwarks, but the trick with the pieces of scrapwood sounds really clever👍

Edited by mugje

Okay...tested the method with the elastic bands, but couldn't get it just right. But the scrap pieces did help! I used the scrap pieces with clamps against the bulwarks, so it was easier to align the capping rails. But still used pins to nail the rails at the bulwarks. This worked pretty okay. Still needs lot's of touching up afterwards 😁😉

I found that the montage of the capping rails one of the most difficult parts of the build was for now, but really satisfying when it's done 😊👍

IMG_20190811_152115365.jpg

IMG_20190811_152120056.jpg

IMG_20190811_154442444.jpg

Ah tnx! It's a lot clearer now! That with the elastic bands does sound a lot easier now. I just misunderstood it wrong in the first place. Well, that's useful in a lot of ways indeed. Thanks for al the help👍

That lego seems also very handy, so i need some of that :D 

Edited by mugje

Finished al the painting of the hull! That's a nice milestone for now :)

Especially the bottom of the yellow strip was difficult for me. I didn't get it perfect in my eyes with just the hand.

So i used masking tape and that made a lot of difference. Now it's okay to me.

The flashy spots on the copper plates are from the dremel. I have to clean the plates once more so everything can age simultaneously.

IMG_20190816_132312383.jpg

IMG_20190816_132319427.jpg

IMG_20190816_132333492_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190816_132343289_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190816_132402991.jpg

Edited by mugje

I used some steel wol and sandpaper to rough the paint a bit up. I don't like the clean look of a freshly painted ship.

It's needs to be a bit old and scruffy ;). The pictures don't capture it just right. In real life it looks much better.

I need to borrow the camera of a friend of mine so i can photograph the details better.

IMG_20190816_135527896_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190816_135551069.jpg

IMG_20190816_135625660_HDR.jpg

I enjoy the build a lot! In the past i was a person that gave up on things pretty fast because i encountered to many problems, but this hobby

is teaching me patience and selfesteem. Wonderful! 🎇

I'm so happy that i rediscovered the hobby again. I think that i wasn't ready for it a few years ago. Now it's time to move on with it, and to enjoy 

the process it's given me.

Little personal sidenote ;)

It's needing some paintwork when it's finished but it looks already good now. It's really small! Almost to small for my trembling fingers haha.

And i find it a bit weird that Caldercraft didn't use solid pieces of walnut, but a kind of plywood idea with two small layers of walnut and something cheaper in between.

A bit of a compromise.

IMG_20190823_151113939.jpg

IMG_20190823_143103833.jpg

17 minutes ago, mugje said:

find it a bit weird that Caldercraft didn't use solid pieces of walnut,

Hi mugje,

I expect solid walnut at that sort of size would have been too fragile as it would split along the grain... plywood walnut is a better material for the task, but it does bring with it the challenge of tidying it.up to look neat. The alternative would be a harder finer grained wood such as european boxwood, but it's very expensive compared to walnut. 

Well done with those carronades! They look fantastic... much neater than my effort... Pickle was my first wooden model too. Keep up the great work.

Rob