HMS Pickle by mugje - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - first build

Very nice work! Enjoy watching!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Something weird in the manual.

The hawse holes need to be on different places. As you can see also on the photo's. But if you read the instructions... they have to be drilled on the same height...9mm under the capping rails. But if you look at the pictures...the one on port side looks higher then the one starboard.

IMG_20190912_101318351.jpg

IMG_20190912_100648114.jpg

Hi Mugje, 

Great progress, well done. I have been mystified with the Chainplates on my Ballahoo and Sherbourne, just couldn't work out how to fit them correctly. I ended up devising my own method. I have seen with interest the Chainplates you have with Pickle, they seem much better and l see you have fitted them well.

Keep up the good work. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Hi Mugje

This is an excellent first build. I like the precision of your work, especially the painting.

Just don't forget to paint the rudder hinges copper. Because of the electro-chemical reaction between copper and iron they were made in copper or bronze in those parts where the hull was coppered.

Cheers

Peter

Tnx Peter! I saw it in your build that you painted the hinges copper. I considered it, but I still doubting if I'm painting it copper. Because the actual copper is aging with time. So there is going to be a colouring difference. I think I'm deciding it at the end of the build. Then I can mix maybe the colour right to match the coppering. Thanks for the compliments and tips!

1 hour ago, Dubz said:

It depends if the ship is moving or in port. Have in mind that copper on a moving ship is not green under water but copperish pink. It get's green when e.g. being in a dry dock for a long time. Kinda same with bronze.

cheers

Dirk

Ah tnx! I think I'm going for the dry dock look. 

2 hours ago, Norway said:

Hi there mugje!

Enjoying your build log.

Just opened an account on this site-totally hooked on this hobby!

Building Caldercraft Pickle my self for the moment. My first ever wood build.

Your model looks stunning :)

Thanks for your kind words! And have fun with your first build. Just take it slow 😉. And maybe start a build log so we can follow your progress to👍