HMS Pickle by mugje - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - first build

4 hours ago, Norway said:

Excellent work and finish!

Question... When rigging the carronades, do you make the chesse wheels before threading or after and make then on the deck. 

Thanks!

Afterwards...first rigging the whole thing and then separately I make the cheese wheels with the method that is described in the manual. That was some trying, but at some point you get the hang of it. So not on the deck, but on a piece of tape first.

Edited by mugje

Made a few big steps the last days...made and painted the skylights and the companion.

And glued everything on the deck afterwards. Also the pumps
The companion was not easy, that needed some re-do's haha. :)

I wheatered the items also, but the photo's don't show it that well

IMG_20190928_152612544.jpg

IMG_20190927_172716826.jpg

IMG_20190928_152631976.jpg

IMG_20190928_170508672.jpg

IMG_20190928_170517839.jpg

IMG_20190928_170528664.jpg

IMG_20190928_170540002.jpg

IMG_20190928_170553732.jpg

IMG_20190928_170605206.jpg

The decision about how to paint the ship mainly lies with the skipper, especially if you pay the paint out of your own pocket. Some Admiralty instructions existed and certain details seem quite clear, such as the Nelson chequer in its time, but others aren't - even if contemporary paintings or models exist. The artist may have used some artistic freedom. So may you and as skipper of your Pickle you may paint as seems logical or as you like. Of course you still have to respect eventual Admiralty wishes or instructions.

I whitewashed the inside of the companionway too to reflect some more light into the dark interiors and because sources mention whitewashing. Additionally the skipper will keep his crew clean and proper for their health and that also reduces dirtying of the paintwork.

And I liked it better that way.

Cheers

Peter

On 9/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, flyer said:

The decision about how to paint the ship mainly lies with the skipper, especially if you pay the paint out of your own pocket. Some Admiralty instructions existed and certain details seem quite clear, such as the Nelson chequer in its time, but others aren't - even if contemporary paintings or models exist. The artist may have used some artistic freedom. So may you and as skipper of your Pickle you may paint as seems logical or as you like. Of course you still have to respect eventual Admiralty wishes or instructions.

I whitewashed the inside of the companionway too to reflect some more light into the dark interiors and because sources mention whitewashing. Additionally the skipper will keep his crew clean and proper for their health and that also reduces dirtying of the paintwork.

And I liked it better that way.

Cheers

Peter

Great explanation Peter! 👍

Bowsprit constructed, stained, painted and dryfitted. At first some things look a bit daunting, but just step by step it becomes the end result.

With a david plane I taper the dowel and with a cordless drill the final step...making it round and smooth.

IMG_20190930_150033200.jpg

IMG_20190930_150935689.jpg

IMG_20190930_150949596.jpg

IMG_20190930_151958972.jpg

IMG_20190930_152902823.jpg

IMG_20191001_133447773.jpg

IMG_20191002_090830079.jpg

IMG_20191002_090851209.jpg

IMG_20191002_090904839.jpg

IMG_20191002_090911530.jpg

Edited by mugje

You’re in the home stretch!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Nice work, you got skills!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Hi mugje, 

Here is a great tip given to me by Rick01, it will give you the shape you are looking for l think.

"A bit of very dilute PVA glue will get those foot ropes to hang with a nice smooth curve"

She looks great by the way, keep up the good work. 

best wishes as always, 

the Lazy Saint. 

4 hours ago, Norway said:

Really good work with pristine finish mugje!

Just wondering....How do you work out that superb square and octagon sections on your masts?

I just followed the instruction manual...that worked well. Offcourse the square parts were already square, but fitting them on the round dowel was not that easy.

There is a small hook in the kit to draw the centerline in the dowel. But mine just didn't work that way. He was definitely not accurate, quite off center. so I eyebolded it, then

I pusht a center in the dowel with a push pin, and drilled it with a hand drill for the metal pin. Is you're auxiliary tool to measure the centerline of the dowel also not okay?

The octagon sections same way as in the manual. Works like a charm. I did the first part with the disc sander that I have, but a small file works just as fine, if not even better.

I did the last part with the file...for accuracy :D...the disc sander goes way to fast for that😅