HMS Pickle by mugje - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - first build

Ah tnx Rob!

Great to hear the compliments! And tnx for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense. Yes i understand they need to make compromises with the kits to make it

affordable. I would like to see in the future that you can buy upgrades for a kit, just like they did with the hms Fly from Victory models. Then you can decide for yourself how much compromises

you want to make :D...but maybe that's one step away of scratch building the pieces by yourself.

hmm....this is kind of difficult. I'm at the part of rigging the carronades, but the manual leaves a lot of holes in the explanation how to do this. They say to secure the 0.1 line to the blocks, but

don't explaining how? What kind of knots do I use? I have never tied something like this😅

Edited by mugje

Hi mugje,

Yes you are right, the instructions are vague. I have had the same problem, it is a problem most beginners like us face, however, there is no end of examples on the internet. A part of the fun/enjoyment is the investigating/learning. Here is a couple of examples but Google it you will find as much info as you could wish for.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

ms4004-carronade-5.jpg

ms4004-carronade-4.jpg

Because of the tiny size of these carronades you may decide to simplify... normally you have two things going on... 

1. A thicker rope that goes round the back of the gun and fixss to either side of the gunport. This is to contain the recoil.

2. thinner rope used to haul it out ready to fire.

3. Also on the pic in the last post you can see another set used to point the carronade. (Training tackle)

On my model I decided just to put the breech rope...

20181222141754-939d15b7.jpg.02f45b7e8ab227a5661e2efc7fe25ac5.jpg

But this is where each of our models ends up unique... regardless of what you choose I'd recommend making up a template for where the holes will go on the hull and drilling them out using that so they all end up uniform. It maybe worth trying one off the model in a card mockup to see if your plan will work.

Finally as you drill the holes watch out they don't pop out on the other side :)

Rob

Edited by robdurant

Thanks Rob and Lazy Saint. The full tackle as in with model in the manual looks appealing to me so I try to go for that. But I find it very weird that they don't include how to lay a knot.

Maybe they asume that you just use "house and garden" knots? (it's a dutch expression haha) But what would somebody do without the internet!

Hi mugje,

Great looking carronades, l am looking forward to seeing them rigged and in place.

I have enjoyed looking through your build log, l have to say, your wood working skills are very good indeed. Well done, keep up the great work.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

19 hours ago, The Lazy Saint said:

Hi mugje,

Great looking carronades, l am looking forward to seeing them rigged and in place.

I have enjoyed looking through your build log, l have to say, your wood working skills are very good indeed. Well done, keep up the great work.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Thank you so much! That's so nice to hear! :)

Hi Mugje,

I am glad to see you are taking health and safety seriously, nothing worse than a lung full of sawdust. 

I can see why your woodworking skills are so good. I must get some tools and learn how to use them. Well done to you and keep up the good work. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint.