HMS Pickle by mugje - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - first build

On 10/3/2019 at 2:46 AM, mugje said:

Bowsprit constructed, stained, painted and dryfitted. At first some things look a bit daunting, but just step by step it becomes the end result.

With a david plane I taper the dowel and with a cordless drill the final step...making it round and smooth.

IMG_20190930_150033200.jpg

IMG_20190930_150935689.jpg

IMG_20190930_150949596.jpg

IMG_20190930_151958972.jpg

IMG_20190930_152902823.jpg

IMG_20191001_133447773.jpg

IMG_20191002_090830079.jpg

IMG_20191002_090851209.jpg

IMG_20191002_090904839.jpg

IMG_20191002_090911530.jpg

On 10/8/2019 at 3:31 AM, mugje said:

All the yards, gaffs and booms constructed and painted 🙂

Rigging starts from now!🌞

IMG_20191008_092916635.jpg

Cleverly done.  I was referred here by Lazy Saint and I am enjoying the many innovations of all of the people on this site.  I have not worked with small pieces of wood like this.  Wood is fun because you can do so many things with it. And you are obviously having fun. I am going to follow you and I know I will learn many tricks.

8 hours ago, Emmet said:

Cleverly done.  I was referred here by Lazy Saint and I am enjoying the many innovations of all of the people on this site.  I have not worked with small pieces of wood like this.  Wood is fun because you can do so many things with it. And you are obviously having fun. I am going to follow you and I know I will learn many tricks.

Thank you! That's nice to hear :)

20 hours ago, Norway said:

Everything looks very good mugje.... :)

Have did you serve the rope for the stay that goes from the mouse and round the masts to the loop?

Do you need a machine for this or can it be done manually by hand?

I did not serve rope. Only a small part around the mouse. It's not authentic, but I did not have enough knowledge to do it correct like in real 

practice. But I have learned a lot from other logs and have an idea now what needs to be served.

With the next ship I will go further with perfecting the rigging and serve the line. And I would buy a serving machine, like Chuck Passaro's one.

That looks much easier and more enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

Okay! So I finished the ship :D 

I didn't take pictures of the last stage. Was a bit busy and worked for very short bouts on the ship.

The end was a bit difficult because I wanted to finish it, so there were sometimes moments that I rushed through the 

build. That needs some attention for the next time...that I take the time and patience to give everything the attention

that is deserves, but that is just a part of the learning curve.

I enjoyed this build a lot and learned a ton in the process. Offcourse skills wise with the wood etc, but even more mentally.

For me it was difficult to actually finish something that takes this amount of time, so i'm very proud of that.

And i'm very proud of the end result! I builded it right out of the box with almost no modifications. The most important thing for 

me was to actually finish it! :D  And in the future there will be more modification/adventure ;) 

000_6110.JPG

000_6111.JPG

000_6114.JPG

000_6115.JPG

000_6116.JPG

Congratulations!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very fine work  she looks Stunning  well done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great job Mugje, she looks very smart!! Well done 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

12 hours ago, Norway said:

Look wonderful mugje 😊 . Great work and the model looks like a millon dollar. Are these the Amati display mounting colums? What dimensions are they? And what baseplate? 

The base plate that I used

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Occre-Model-Boat-Fittings-19102-Display-Stand-130x265mm-OC19102.html#SID=1691

And the colums are from Amati indeed

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/5690-35-Turned-Brass-Column-35mm-A5690_35.html#SID=1579

I used two of the same dimensions, but filed one slot deeper so the ships keel lays in the correct angle.

At first I thought it was a good idea to use 2 different dimensions, so one shorter colum...but that looked horrible haha, because the thickness is

also reduced with the smaller height.

Beautiful!  Congratulations on your completion 😊