L'Hermione by RussR - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/89 Scale

I started this build July 9, 2018 and finished it July 22, 2019.

I didn't start a build log because I wasn't sure I would finish it. It is sure frustrating when someone starts a log and just walks away without finishing.

This my second build I finished if you count my 18th Century LongBoat 1/48 scale. 

I did take some photos along the way but wasn't as religious about it.

For every ones amusement, here we go. 

DSCN0089.JPG

DSCN0090.JPG

DSCN0093.JPG

DSCN0095.JPG

DSCN0096.JPG

DSCN0097.JPG

DSCN0098.JPG

DSCN0099.JPG

DSCN0100.JPG

DSCN0101.JPG

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

And 

DSCN0102.JPG

DSCN0103.JPG

I had to redo this part because I screwed it up to bad.DSCN0104.JPG

DSCN0105.JPG

DSCN0106.JPG

DSCN0107.JPG

DSCN0108.JPG

DSCN0109.JPG

DSCN0111.JPG

Edited by RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

I am now building a glass case for it . But I have to wait on the glass. The locale glass shop was out of 1/8" glass.

My take away from this experience is:

Don't ever build a model that only has a CD for instructions.

Don't build anything smaller than 1/50 scale.

Don't build anything longer than 36 inches. I only have a 9 ft by 9 ft space.

I could be wrong, but I think  MESSIS' and mine is the only completed Hermione on MSW.

That is it for now.

RussR

Hi Russ,

Congratulations on the complettion of your Hermione! She is a beautiful piece of work. Although splicing the mainbrace is not compulsory when completing a model ship, it is recommended...

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

14 hours ago, Y.T. said:

A little bit of filing and I see no reason having any filler to apply!

Thanks Y.T.

This is a single planked hull. I guess one could say the second planking is the fill and paint. 

13 hours ago, petervisser said:

splicing the mainbrace

Thank Peter

I don't know what "mainbrace is".

For now my focus is on the case for my model and and where to put it now that it is finished .

My next build will be either the Model Shipways Chaperon or Armed  Virginia Sloop 

Until next time.

RussR

On 7/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, RussR said:

I don't know what "mainbrace is".

'Splicing the Mainbrace' is sailor-speak for 'have a drink'.

Good looking model.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

4 hours ago, bruce d said:

Splicing the Mainbrace' is sailor-speak for 'have a drink'.

Thanks for explaining it to this "Yank". 😁

Yank? Things have changed since my last visit to Oklahoma. :)

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Russ,

Splicing the mainbrace is a traditional term in the British Navy for serving out an additional tot of rum or grog to the ship's crew as a reward for extra efforts in a number of difficult tasks aboard the ship.

The mainbrace itself was a purchase attached to the main lower yard to brace it round to the wind, but probably has little to do with the saying beyond the fact that hauling on the main brace called for extra effort by the crew.

I found the saying in the Oxford Companion to the Sea which is an excellent reference book with tons of interesting articles regarding seafaring history.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Congrats, nice work. You beat my finished L'Hermione. Hope to reach you with my new one.

Yes you are right... we are the only two finished AL kits of L'Hermione. 

Christos

Ps.My respect for your scaliera. The ladder on the shrouds. Each step is separately knotted!  (The kit.. and my lasy self used glue 😀

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the case today. Here is a couple of shots.

Thank you all for the "Likes" and comments.

Next build will be the Chaperon Stern Wheel Steamer.

DSCN0239.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG

Beautiful ! Very nice work RussR. I have the impression that this is your dinning room. My admiral was opposed when I suggested to display Hermione there. So she is still in my private office displayed. And if the weather is rainy and you stay indoors for a smoke... then you may have a look at her in my study, as it is then becoming the only available smoking indoors place. 

Edited by MESSIS

Just seen this and wanted to echo everyone’s congratulations. I’m very impressed, especially as this is just your second build - and super-impressed that you completed it in just over a year. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank you Messis and Derek and others for the comments and others for the "👍".

The model is in our family room. This is my biggest problem, "where do I put it after it is finished". I will probably end up giving them away to make room for more. The fun part is building them.

This is my second build and hope not my best. I made many errors on it but hope the next will be better. 

RussR