HM Cutter Sherbourne by The Lazy Saint - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - Second wooden ship

Hi all.

I have just completed my first wooden ship build and, as luck would have it, my second project arrived in the post today. I am hoping for an improvement on my first attempt and, providing l learn from my experience, l am sure l will manage it.

I have opened the box, identified the parts and dry fitted the bulkheads. The wood looks in good order as,  indeed, was the first project. 

This build will, l expect, take rather longer than my first as l won't be able to put in the same number of hours per day as l managed on build one. We are taking the Grandchildren on holiday Friday so won't be able to start in ernest untill we return.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190731_211521.jpg

20190731_192645.jpg

20190731_192532.jpg

20190731_192105.jpg

20190731_181759.jpg

Edited by The Lazy Saint

Looking forward to this build. I like your Ballahoo.

Tony

Hi All,

Today l have started the first stage of the build. I have been away for a few days and have been looking forward to returning and, indeed, to getting a grip with the Sherbourne. 

Building the framework is very much the same as the Ballahoo, the difference this time being that l have learnt some lessons.

1. I have not fitted the keel, l believe l will produce better results if l fit the keel after l have planked and sanded.

2. I have cut the bearding line so won't have to sand the planks wafer thin.

3. I have assembled the bulkheads before beveling, l was rather enthusiastic with my beveling last time and had to build up some areas. By doing it this way l believe l will be more precise, we shall see. (Fingers crossed)

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190805_154251.jpg

20190805_154241.jpg

Good start LS,  and leaving the keel, prow and rudder post should help. Hope you have fun with Sherbourne after your holiday with your grandkids😎

Mine has been on hold for a while and I  won't be back building til after my holiday with my grandkids

Cheers and good luck

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Again TLS ..  Welcome back and I hope the Wee Hollier went well..         Great start as Edward (above) says..  If you are worried about getting the right amount of beveling/sanding on the Bulkheads, lay a test strip of planking along them and you should see where it meets the individual bulkheads (probably only hits them at the corners near the bow) you can then judge how much to bevel to let the test plank sit flush/or more naturally from Bulkhead to Bulkhead,  re-test as you go along (moving the test plank down the bulkheads towards the keel)

You are probably already doing this, so forgive me for mentioning it 🙃

All The Best Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice Eamonn l really appreciate it, good advice and constructive criticism is always welcom, I am always grateful when someone takes the time to help by passing on their wisdom. 

I am nearing the end of my first planking, l was hoping to finish it today but as l was getting a little tired (tiredness equals errors) l decided to call it a day, it will still be there tomorrow. 

I am glad l selected Ballahoo as my first build as the hull was, in my opinion, the easier of the two. I hope l have used my experience from the first build to good effect, it is much better to leave the keel off, it is vital to cut the bearding line and a pin pusher with very fine pins is a great investment.

I hope you have as good a holiday with your Grandchildren as l did with mine Edward, good luck. 

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190808_160301.jpg

20190808_160341.jpg

20190808_160811.jpg

20190808_161442.jpg

20190808_161843.jpg

LS, your first layer planking could pass as a top layer😃

I've noticed that you fitted all your transom posts, please be careful of the middle two as they are vulnerable til you put the transom on.

As with Ballahoo you are going great!

Cheers and good luck 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words Edward and thanks also for pointing out the danger of me knocking off my transom posts, l will proceed with care. l have finished the starboard sides 1st planking, tomorrow l shall finish the port side then Sunday l will sand smooth in preparation for the 2nd planking.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint 

20190809_193607.jpg

I am looking forward to seeing the 2nd planking, are you keeping it a wood finish or a painted finish?

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all,

I am going to paint Edward, for two reasons. Firstly, l would like to keep to the same colour scheme as my Ballahoo, they will make a nice pair. Secondly, l must be honest, l don't think my planking is up to standard just yet.

I have now completed the 1st planking and tomorrow, when it is dry, l will sand.

As l still had a bit of time spare during this session l thought l would take a look at the guns.

Tomorrow l will sand and, perhaps, if l have time, l will do a bit more to the guns.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190810_195416.jpg

20190810_195428.jpg

20190810_195455.jpg

20190810_195502.jpg

Hi All,

1st planking completed and sanded smooth, l think l have improved quite a bit from my first effort on the Ballahoo, so it appears the lessons were learnt. No room for complacency though as l shall be starting the 2nd planking next and that, after all, is the most important.

Also a little more work on the cannons.

Best  wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190811_145048.jpg

20190811_145059.jpg

20190811_145142.jpg

It's all looking good LS, the cannons look the business😀

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all,

A little bit more done, slow but sure. Today l fitted the Stern Counter ready for the second planking and lined up the guns for rigging. I am doing as much as l can off the ship in the hope of getting them exactly the same.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190813_194200.jpg

I like your idea for rigging the cannon  LS should make it easier than the way I did it.

You are fairly flying with Sherbourne. 

Cheers and good luck 

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all,

Thanks Edward, glad you like it, however, l can't claim to own it as l saw a similar thing elsewhere. That is of course the beauty of Google and forums like this, it's great for sharing ideas. 

I started the second planking today and overall, l am pleased with my efforts, however, I did have a mishap. I was trying to force (note to self, never ever force anything, if it won't fit first time something is amiss) the planking into the groove at the top of the keel post. It snapped off, l said "Oh dear what a shame" or words to that effect. I have glued it back on and, with filler and a little luck, l may be able to repair the damage. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190814_184859.jpg

20190814_184947.jpg

20190814_185022.jpg

20190814_185036.jpg

20190814_185125.jpg

20190814_185524.jpg

Hi LS , planking looks good, I am looking forward to seeing more 

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all.

Thanks for the kind words Edward.

Five planks in and the Gunports + Oarports have been cut. They will have to be done again when the internal planks are fitted but after my experience with the Ballahoo l know it is easier to carve one layer of planking at a time, rather than two.

I can hear the purists among you shaking your heads and tutting about my "Round" Oarports, please forgive me but cutting "Square" holes that small (and making them look good) is beyond me.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190816_064333.jpg

20190816_064355.jpg

Look really  good:) It is your model and you do what you want:) I put hatches on my oar ports.. Maybe missed this before but will you oil or paint it? Much easier to oil it:) Too much work has to be done before painting wood.

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

Hi LS 

I know exactly what you mean as to trying to square the oarports, I attempted squaring them but gave up after splitting a plank on the internal bulwark.

That said round or square it's looking very nice.

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

I used square mini files or jeweller's files for the small square ports. They come very cheaply in sets of six or so on eBay, Amazon etc. You can also make your own square punches for smaller squares (e.g. on the windlass) by squaring off nails. Then there's the option of making your own mini-chisels 1mm or so in size using allen keys and suchlike. There's lots of advice on the web on how to do this.

Tony

Edited by tkay11

Hi all,

And thanks all for the encouraging words. Thanks also Tony for your invaluable advice/tips, l really appreciate it.

I have just completed my 2nd planking and l am quite happy. It is considerably better than my Ballahoo, but not, l fear, good enough for oil/varnish as Jörgan suggested. I do aspire to that standard, but will have to practice more. Perhaps net time.

I have to say that one of the best tools l have, l find, is my pin pusher coupled with very fine pins. I found it awkward at first as l lacked the dexterity required but as the build has progressed l have learnt and now find it quick and easy to use.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint 

20190817_164922.jpg

20190817_164938.jpg

20190817_164952.jpg

20190817_165326.jpg

20190817_165028.jpg

20190817_165102.jpg

LS very nice job your planking looks great

7 minutes ago, mic-art said:

I must say it looks very nice!
So you would recommend a pin pusher then? I was thinking of buying one but I got the feeling that people think it is a waste of money. Did you use it for your second planking too?

I'm interested to know wether you used it on your 2nd planking as well

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all.

I am sure some people will disagree with me and say that pin pushers are a waste of money, however, l now think of mine as almost indispensable. During my first ship build and, without any experience, l used the little nails that came with the model along with a little modeling hammer. This did work, however, the little nails did make rather large holes and l found the task quite laborious, trying to hold the little nails with my fingers was a bit of a challenge too. The pin pusher with very fine pins is fiddly and some dexterity is required but with practice it has proved to be a very good method. The very fine pins make very little damage to the wood and l can fit a plank quite speedily. 

I don't think it's a suitable tool for those builders who like an oil finish but l, at this stage, have not the skill to show off my wood. I prefer a painted ship and, if prepared/filled/sanded well, it matters not that l put a few dozen tiny holes in her. I hope this helps guy's but l think the top answer is to try different methods until you hit on the right one for you. Good luck and enjoy, l am.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

Hi LS 

Even if the finished hull is an oil or varnish, the pin holes can be used for treenails, thus saving a little bit of drilling 😆

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Looks good. For the second planking I only used superglue in combination with wood glue. In the beginning I used pins at the sides but they did marks on the edge of the wood. The superglue is doing the same work as a pin and you can press it in place with your fingers. Then the superglue will keep it in place until the wood glue sets.

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks