HM Cutter Sherbourne by The Lazy Saint - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - Second wooden ship

Hi all,

Thanks for the tip Jörgan, when l am ready to tackle an oiled/varnished ship l will use your method.

I have just completed my gun battery. They are as close to identical as l could make them, l hope they pass the captain's inspection when they are on board.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190818_132052.jpg

20190818_125805.jpg

20190818_125817.jpg

Hi all,

Here l have fitted the main wale, l have left the pins in for you to see. Don't push them all the way in as they are the Devils own work to get out, as you will find out. I say that because that is what will happen until you get used to the pressure required. 

My next task, l think, will be decking and inner bulwark planking. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190818_144856.jpg

20190818_144911.jpg

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I didn't manage much today, just the small rail that runs along the gunports. I put it on as a single piece and then removed the sections that passed over the gunports. Just incase anyone is wondering, no l didn't use pins as, in this case, the wood was too thin. I used mini bulldog clips which proved to be the right tool for the job.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190819_184037.jpg

20190819_184050.jpg

Hi all,

I have spent this evening pondering over my deck planking. It is probably not correct in terms scale or, indeed, practicality but it is evenly spaced, without awkward/inconveniently placed joints and, to my mind, pleasing on the eye. After several attempts and rubbing's out l found a plank length of 140mm and a drop of 35mm was the best combination.

I managed ok on my Ballahoo deck but then of course l did use the SWAG method.

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint. 

PS A good tip l picked up on another build log was trace out the false deck before the start of construction, this makes it much easier at this planning stage.

20190819_214022.jpg

Hi all,

The deck planking plan went ok today. I finished with a light sanding, which caused some of the plank ends to disappear under a coating of very fine sawdust. Not a problem, when l finish sanding this evening l will brush it out.

I practiced planking using Jörgan's method of wood glue plus little drops of super glue to hold instead of pins. I managed quite well towards the end.

Thanks Jörgan. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190820_155202.jpg

20190820_155218.jpg

Hi all,

I have now completed the planking of the inner bulwarks and cut again the Gun and Oar ports. I am quite happy with the job so far and tomorrow I hope to fill any nooks and crannies followed by a final sanding.

Once that is completed l shall prepare for painting. 

20190822_193032.jpg

20190822_193137.jpg

20190822_193240.jpg

20190822_193257.jpg

Edited by The Lazy Saint
Spelling error

Hey There Bud .. Looks like a clean bit of work ye have going on ! 😉

All The Best

Eamonn

PS you'll be onto your 3rd build before I fin my Ballier LOL 

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi all,

Thank you for your kind words, both of you.

I have been busy preparing for painting this evening by applying the primer. The application of white primer certainly shows up all the flaws and imperfections. Tomorrow l will have a little bit of filling and sanding with fine wet and dry paper to do and then it is on with a bit of colour. 

20190823_193605.jpg

20190823_193630.jpg

20190823_193730.jpg

20190823_193743.jpg

Hi all,

A painting day for me today. I had a real struggle marking the waterline on my Ballahoo, this time it was a breeze using my water line marker. This is another tool l would recommend and it comes in kit form, another building job, ha ha.

Using primer has helped in the preparation phase, but is not without problems. Every time l scratch or knock the model the white shows through which entails re coating that area. Ok, to be honest, perhaps the answer is that l should be a bit more careful, and indeed l will from now on.

Apart from that, all has gone well and,  to protect the paint work from future clumsiness, l shall apply  a coat of clear varnish.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0297.JPG

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0298.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG

20190825_180513.jpg

Great Work As Usual Mate .. Re the coat of Varnish, did you do the same with Ballier ? (am wondering if it would change the colour of the underlying paintwork) 

All The Very Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Eamonn,

11 hours ago, egkb said:

Great Work As Usual Mate .. Re the coat of Varnish, did you do the same with Ballier ? (am wondering if it would change the colour of the underlying paintwork) 

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Yes l put a coat of varnish on my Ballahoo too, as far as l can see it makes no visible difference at all, just adds protection. The primer l used made it more difficult to get an even finish, but only with the yellow ochre, other than that it was fine.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Looks very good and now you are ahead of me... The varnish should protect it better. I also have little bit cloth attached to the stand for further protection. I just tilt the ship on the stand so I can work with it.

Edited by Jörgen

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

Hi all,

I too use protection on my stand Jörgan, it makes sense doesn't it. 

Today l fitted the swivel gun posts, timber posts and painted them. There is quite a bit of fiddly filing to get them to fit, but finally they are all in. I also started to put together the Deck Fittings.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190826_175409.jpg

20190826_165919.jpg

20190826_165937.jpg

20190826_175922.jpg

Hi all,

I managed an early start today as it is going to be too hot in my den later on, phew, l am not liking out record temperatures. 

I have managed to fit the four Starboard cannons, another very fiddly job. With luck, and when the sun has gone over, l will fit the four Port cannons. After that it will be all hands on deck for the rest of the deck fittings, but not tomorrow, tomorrow l am going fishing with my Grandson. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190827_092134.jpg

20190827_092143.jpg

Hi all, 

l have been slowly but surely working my way through the deck fittings. So far l have managed to fit:

Four sets of Gratings, the Winch and the Catheads.

The Bowsprit Support bitt assembly and 

I have squared the Bowsprit to fit. It has also been tapered to the correct (ish) dimensions as has the Main Mast.

All Deck fittings have been pinned as well as glued.

All in all a very good day and certainly cooler than of late, l am glad to say.

I think l will call it a day now, put the build down and tidy up my den. My work surfaces certainly get cluttered up with tools, off cuts, wood shavings etc etc. as l am sure you all know only too well.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190829_165708.jpg

20190829_165716.jpg

20190829_165723.jpg

Hi LS

Back off my holiday and I see you've made fine progress on your Sherbourne. 

You'll be finished before me at this rate.

I'm liking your work though.

Very smart paintwork. 

Cheers

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the kind words of encouragement, very much appreciated and yes Eamonn you can see a rudder. I hope l don't get into such a pickle this time, ha ha.

I concentrate on the anchors this afternoon, l am pleased with them so far, they just need the ring on the end and they will be finished.

I also realised an error in my build planning, no matter how much l try to plan ahead there is always something l miss. I drilled 3 x holes in the bow post for rigging, they were slightly blocked with paint. Not a problem, they can easily be cleaned out, just prior to rigging. I fitted the Catheads and now find it is impossible to use a drill on the holes. I had to remove one of  Catheads, fortunately there wasn't too much damage. Please be warned if you are reading this with a view to building.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

20190831_191214.jpg

20190831_191308.jpg

Hi LS 

Tidy job you're doing, keep up the good work 😋

(You asked in my log: Hope youhad a great holiday.)

My holiday was awesome,  sun, sea, sand and grandkids (all three this year) thankyou

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I think every builder has problems with boo-boos. There's an entire topic devoted to just this aspect of a modeller's life.

Tony

Hi all,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your family holiday Edward, seeing the Grandchildren having fun makes it for me and it sound like it's the same for you. They certainly keep you young.

That is a great link Tony, thanks very much, l am sure it will help me no end, l might even be able to add to it, ha ha.

Today l managed to get the following done:

1. Finished the anchors and placed them on the ship, but not yet permanently fitted. 

2. Built the Pumps, painted and fitted.

3. Finished and fitted the Rudder and Tiller bar.

4. Built and fitted the swivel guns, l have applied the first coat and tomorrow l shall complete them with a second coat.

All in all a good day.

One observation l have made is that the cannons on this ship look tiny alongside the other deck fittings, they can't be the correct scale........ if they are, perhaps the other deck fittings are over large. Whatever the case if l were to build this model again l wouldn't add the cannons or cut the gunports. 

20190901_180217.jpg

20190901_193250.jpg

20190901_193319.jpg

20190901_193457.jpg

20190901_193633.jpg

Hmmm those Bitts etc do look a bit 'chunky' for sure ..  I just popped over to Dirks (Dubz) build and compared .. Bit of sanding may take care of that.. Take a looksie yourself .. What I did on Ballier was to build a wee Man out of scrap timber (to scale) and used him to judge thickness, size, etc (then picture holding the stuff yourself at full scale and see if it feels correct, we tend to make things too big and heavy and this will give you a better feel for it.. a good guide is 'if it looks too big then it probably is :))

I think the size of cannons are grand btw ..

Keep the updates coming :)

All The Best

Eamonn

Looking good LS.

The cannon on Sherbourne  are only small as they are 4 pounders which were considered pop guns compared with 12 or 18 pounders, if you check out Chris Wattons post for Speedy in traders forum he compares Speedy 4 pounder with Bristols 24 pounder and the difference in size beggars belief. The post btw is Chris Watton and Vanguard Models 25th July page 10 post #277.

Keep up the good work

Cheers 

Edited by Edwardkenway
To add txt

Current builds;

Completed:

I haven't built this particular kit but I'd query the way you've fed the anchor cable under the windlass not over. This would mean that when hauling the anchor in you're actually pushing the bars working the windlass up not pulling them down. All the models I've seen have the cable fed over the windlass.

Rick