Chaperon by RussR - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/48 Scale

I am still waiting on the glass for my Hermione build. So in the meantime I thought I would do some of the preliminary task before my Chaperon build.

I have both the Chaperon and Armed Virginia Sloop by MS and waffled between which one to start. The Chaperon won out because there is fewer built and I have Kurt Van Dahm's  excellent CD "Building Chaperon" and the many build logs here on MSW. I may sell the AVS because my wants will probably change before Chaperon is built. 

This will be my 1st build log and will try to make many updates and photos but can't make promises. I just don't want to get to deep into it until the Hermione case is completed.

Here is a few pics of the kit as received without the paperwork. I did put the small parts into the plastic box that came with my Hermione kit.

DSCN0202.JPG

DSCN0200.JPG

DSCN0204.JPG

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Russ,

Glad to see another Chaperon builder on here. I'm smack in the middle of my Chaperon build and what fun it has been. Kurt's CD has been a blessing and has helped tremendously, along with Catheads (Eric) excellent advice and help from several others. Looking forward to watching your build progress. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

I'm always up for another proper steamboat build. Glad to have you on board and looking forward to seeing what direction you take this in.

Russ:

Glad to see another Chaperon on the building ways. 

I am almost tempted to build another and do some of the things that I didn't have time to do before (and meet the magazine deadlines).  Eric and others have added the details and I hope you follow suit.

Have fun...

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Yeah, I realized that later.  But when you do I know you will be incorporating the extras I didn't included.😀

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 2 months later...

I am slowly progressing with my Chaperon build. But the drawings are devoid of any measurements (and I do mean any). Can someone tell me the placement of the Skylight, Texas, Pilot House, and Chicken Coup. I have covered up the markings on the deck with the simulated tar covering. Unfortunately the plans aren't drawn 1:1. 

I have thought about trying to interpolate the positions of the above from sheet 5. But have decided to ask here. 

I am taking pictures of the progression of the build but wanted to have it completed before I started a log. 

P1000914.JPG

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Russ,

Looks like we are about at the same place in our builds. I almost ran into the same situation when I was "tar papering" the Boiler deck roof when I realized I was covering up the reference lines. Fortunately I caught it on my first run over the lines and ended up being a quick fix. This is one of the things I love about this forum, plenty of modelers out there willing to help when you get in a bind.

Here are a few photos with a ruler for reference to help you out.

On the Boiler deck roof, the reference line for the Hurricane deck is 105mm from the front edge.

IMG_3400.thumb.JPG.e8763a47d20606f345275d176fca70b0.JPG

On the hurricane deck the reference line for the Texas deck is about 60mm from the front edge, this is including the trim.

IMG_3401.thumb.JPG.ba54526369cd5e544d9957d2b22fc6dc.JPG

The chicken coop line is 20mm to 34mm from the aft edge of the Boiler deck roof.

IMG_3403.thumb.JPG.e900e76c5c93c102f7454e7485587033.JPG

And for the pilot house lines on the Texas deck roof the reference lines are 88mm from the front edge.

IMG_3402.thumb.JPG.af2f020b2a9175dccd542627748aae3b.JPG

Sure hope this helps.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Russ,

By the way I forgot to mention, Your build is really looking sharp!

Keep the pictures coming in.

-Brian

Brian,

Thanks a million that helps a lot. I was hoping I didn't have to try and interrelate (scale up from the plans) because they aren't drawn 1:1. 

I just checked out you build log and your a lot more detailed than my Chaperon. I am still pretty much an out of the box builder. 

Russ

Russ,

Thank you for the kind words. Glad I could help. 

-Brian

• 8 months later...

I am sorry looks like my photo got all jumbled up

DSCN0208.thumb.JPG.4f54ceea1a19d1786a92ed5ee6acf8cf.JPGMy Chaperon is finished. The following is the photos that I took along the way. I will try not to post any duplicates.

1st a few of the typical boring stuff.DSCN0205.thumb.JPG.72fe12fede59c69f33fcedcac664fccb.JPGDSCN0207.thumb.JPG.8fdbb90350158e409c6d5a100dbb2cc4.JPGDSCN0208.thumb.JPG.4f54ceea1a19d1786a92ed5ee6acf8cf.JPGDSCN0211.thumb.JPG.4ee9b39da1833004b638415a9c170ab6.JPGDSCN0212.thumb.JPG.82175fa56bd5d254fca92e58ac79e90f.JPGDSCN0216.thumb.JPG.0e1ff6ca28f2f6b60eb25bb0ff585055.JPGDSCN0217.thumb.JPG.1e5afa753223eb23961cbc616b65584b.JPGDSCN0219.thumb.JPG.1acf895c51347ecbebe87050fcb256bf.JPGDSCN0220.thumb.JPG.995976859012567ff67ec78af77001bb.JPGDSCN0220.thumb.JPG.995976859012567ff67ec78af77001bb.JPG

Later I had to remove the keel and redo it because I bent it edge wise instead of the proper way.

DSCN0223.thumb.JPG.84fb9ddfaa577037287447c35ad01fb1.JPGDSCN0224.thumb.JPG.e46b7e850ebd44ef726b86a8e4b5486a.JPG

Since I didn't add lights I didn't detail the boiler as some have done.

DSCN0242.thumb.JPG.3e36ac823b5fc2548b382effa74b819e.JPG

The infamous finger joint. I just filled it and re-etched it in. The paint was Anita's All Purpose Acrylic....Red Rust that I bought at Hobby Lobby.DSCN0243.thumb.JPG.ef15366680e9aac3eb35e4c12676c82b.JPGDSCN0244.thumb.JPG.5323b4d33d2e42a48267832ee7cd18aa.JPG

Nothing innovative in the next photo...I just followed the instructions.

DSCN0247.thumb.JPG.064e6374c044ad16b02aa303a3af5301.JPG

The boiler deck was uneventful.

DSCN0249.thumb.JPG.a14724df7bcc99bcf5beb74b1f14b208.JPGDSCN0252.thumb.JPG.854991fedd89282427fd593b90e9aec2.JPG

I added some scrape wood along the scribed lines to line everything up. And also added 90 deg. blocks to keep the walls plumb.

DSCN0254.thumb.JPG.79f7dd272ce06b915a79ea3ccda6bb9e.JPG

Another shot of the same

DSCN0255.thumb.JPG.292c039983b363466cb494999a862114.JPG

A shot of the barely visible boiler

DSCN0256.thumb.JPG.0efc999ee8eeea0174dfdc32fa20c096.JPG

Shot of the Sky Light an gluing battons on the Texas.

DSCN0258.thumb.JPG.4e2f4ef23c26946eb790d44161d71994.JPG

Made a ships wheel out of cotton bud sticks and cardboard. 1st one was to small and the 2nd one was to large. Now I wish that I hadn't spent the time doing it because one can't even see it in the Pilot House. Also made a stove from a barrel left over from something else. In the end it isn't visible anyway.

DSCN0263.thumb.JPG.d73ae3d61f0e71a99b7ab0bd7d8036d2.JPGDSCN0264.thumb.JPG.f16d3a5cb39e20ccce264561d0134318.JPG

Leggo blocks was used to keep the paddle wheel lined up. 

DSCN0275.thumb.JPG.a76b80ad8297ac62c9bf715e1e318e2e.JPG

Another shot of the paddle wheel assembly. Later I found out that the shaft was to short. So I had to pin a short piece on both ends to make it work.

DSCN0278.thumb.JPG.b7e61fc3f1dc06ba0380e3d31fde1422.JPG

Here shows the bull rails installed. Also like to mention the neat CA Glue Applicator. It is the best I have used. I have even forgot and it set overnight and it still wasn't clogged the next day. If it dose clog up all you have to do is just clip a piece of the end and your good as new. Then when it gets to short, pull it off and stick on another one. Another good thing about it is you can control where the glue goes. And you don't get glue all over the place.  Also you don't waste glue.😀

DSCN0292.thumb.JPG.838528993df00d42849f0f41ac476d51.JPG

Another shot of the bull rails. Also some of the railings and decorations.

DSCN0293.thumb.JPG.8d2bd737e96d1b26e3351e1faf326aaa.JPG

Here I am fabricating the Stag per the plans, no problems.

DSCN0296.thumb.JPG.64a599b5a072df7c837ec31ee172f804.JPG

Paddle Wheel and Supports. Also some more Railings and Decorations installed. 

DSCN0298.thumb.JPG.81359d1487243faaae57594242174af8.JPG

Wow! What a mess. ..I used Lego Blocks to keep the stacks plumb until the glue set.

DSCN0300.thumb.JPG.ecfb92ea2905456b70ee6e88f3ec33b5.JPG

From here on is the finished model on a 1 by with some molding around the edges. I used some 3/8" square basswood. Then I beat'm up with a meat tenderizer to rough them up And stained with diluted india ink. Then I knocked off the sharp corners with a course rasp then stained the whole thing with Golden Oak (I think). Then a coat of wipe on polly. 

The surface was covered with Medium Ballast 

DSCN0308.thumb.JPG.471f0e093586d85d9139ce7ed45df29a.JPGDSCN0310.thumb.JPG.160149b62c8c31b89e08306f96cb074f.JPGDSCN0311.thumb.JPG.cf4c7c639f6937adb586a7adb0c350dc.JPGDSCN0312.thumb.JPG.6ac02b5ebd4bab4a64336b6f2f1f018b.JPGDSCN0315.thumb.JPG.943902cbaa08a9f707791e53e92866f7.JPGDSCN0316.thumb.JPG.ae9b9533641ecacaae452e80496dbe84.JPG

That's All Folks

Now on to the next project, what ever that is.

My goal is to finish what ever I start.

I have studied many many logs which are a great help.

I bought Kurtvd19's CD which helped a lot

Thanks to all.

RussS

DSCN0307.JPG

DSCN0301.JPG

DSCN0299.JPG

DSCN0297.JPG

DSCN0295.JPG

DSCN0294.JPG

DSCN0291.JPG

DSCN0290.JPG

DSCN0289.JPG

DSCN0280.JPG

DSCN0279.JPG

DSCN0260.JPG

DSCN0259.JPG

DSCN0257.JPG

DSCN0251.JPG

DSCN0250.JPG

I sorry, looks like my photos got all jumbled up.

A real nice job Russ.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Beautiful job Russ. She really came out great. Congrats on her completion. 

-Brian

Outstanding job on this build! Question for you as I get nearer to installing the main deck, how did you work with the unsightly seams between the fore and aft deck pieces? Are they visible on the finished model given the boiler room and other structures? I'm planning on planking over these decks with 1/32" strips but I'm wondering if all that work is necessary.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

The seams can be filled in and the etched lines between planks can be cleaned up.  Not real visible after this is done.

If you plank over the decking make sure you transfer the markings for structures and pieces to be located to the new planks and open up the holes in the deck you will be covering - eliminate the need to measure and cut holes after doing the planking if done as you fit each plank.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks for your response Kurt! I was sort of planning on doing that with the deck layout as I laid down each and every plank. I don't think 1/32" strips will add too much thickness but also should allow the deck plank butt joints to be visible.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Beautiful work Russ!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Patrick,

At the sake of hijacking Russ' magnificent build.

I had the same issue with mine, I wasn't too keen on the joint lines on the Main and Boiler decks and 1/32" strips are exactly what I used on my build to cover them up. The strips were thin enough that there was not enough difference to be noticeable and the comings were thick enough to hide the additional planks.

IMG_2873.thumb.JPG.5bca100e8823d5183069f3a5ec566210.JPG

IMG_3177.thumb.JPG.7d036a77b6fbb7cdb7f7b7d9469b7867.JPG

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

As Kurt said in a post above.

All I did was glue the decks together with pva and after it dried I filled it with Minwax filler. Then etch the lines back with a scribe and a straight edge. I figured that after I got the rest of the structure in, one wouldn't be able to see any flaws if any (which there wasn't).

Also I didn't spend a lot of time on stuff that wasn't very visible like the boiler and pilot house interior.

RussR

Brian, outstanding build by the way. 👍

• 1 year later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me