You may have noticed already that we are tweaking the forum to take advantage of some new features and capabilities.  We had tried to do similar stuff in the past but the software wouldnt allow it.  Now we can make content available to you in an easier to find and focused format.

First- You can take a look at the menu bar above.  This may look different depending on which theme you have chosen.  But you will notice a new tab called "Modeling Techniques" .  This is a drop down which will eventually have many subjects placed there.  For now, we have launched this feature with only one.   It is called "rope making/ropewalks".

techniques.jpg

Clicking on Rope Making will take you to a page that contains a mini forum basically dedicated to this subject.  It has several categories and all of these pages will work like this.  The top of the rope making page has categories for discussions and topics as well as a downloads area.  We are gathering all of the related topics from MSW that relate to this subject and placing here.   Now you will have an easy index for many subjects with a wealth of info with just one click.  We will move PDfs from the database into these as well so all of the info per subject is in one place!!!

No longer will you have to search the site using different keywords to find topics and tutorials on Rope making and ropewalks.

This will be a very valuable resource for our members.  We are calling these mini-forums "clubs".  Keep in mind that you will be able to start new topics and reply to any topic that is placed in these just as you would have done before.

Should you see any content that you think should be moved into a specific subject's club page....please let us know.   

ropetech.jpg

Think about the possibilities....

We will soon add more of these techniques pages for Planking.....or sail making etc.  But please have patience as creating these takes a lot of time.  Let us know if you have any questions.  You will notice a second Planking Techniques tab.  That is just a place holder as I wanted to show you guys that we will have more than just a few of these.   That particular page will be completed soon and I will announce it when it is completed.

I will talk about the next change (Group Projects) in a separate reply....You will see that up there as well.

Almost forgot...you should also notice new blocks on the right sidebar which lets you know when any activity takes place in these like a new reply or something.   

The second change is to the group projects area.  We will soon be adding many more group projects, including one specifically designed to teach planking techniques.   As we add these, the front page of the forum will get too long and busy if we kept using the current format.  We are also limited by the traditional Forum/Topic structure in how we can deliver you guys the content for such groups.   So we have decided to use the same new format for these instead.

You will notice in the menu that I have also added a Group Project tab.

group.jpg

Our Group projects will now be placed into their own mini-forum structures.  I have already migrated one of the current groups over.  The carving project.  You will see how versatile this structure will be for each Group project we create.  If you click on that project you will see tabs that contain topics.  There will be tabs that contain downloads and tutorials within each Group Project area.  Even a gallery.

carving2.jpg

I will be migrating the other Group projects over immediately.  There may be some disruption in being able to access your logs or the downloads for Triton while I do this.  Please have some patience as we work through it.

There are four types of Group Project mini-forums....

PUBLIC Group Projects...

PUBLIC Groups are similar to the carving group I have already set up and the Medway Longboat Group.  Any MSW member can access those and see the info posted.  They can also participate immediately if they want to reply to a topic  or start a build log and join the group.  Members have full access without having to ask to join.

OPEN Group Projects...

Everyone can see the project and enter it.  Any member can read the topics and posts but only those who are participants can post replies or topics. An MSW member must request to join or receive an invitation to join the group project in order to participate.  Currently we dont have any of these.

Public/Private Group Projects...

These are actually PUBLIC groups like Triton.  You can participate at any time.  Any Member can post a reply and see the topics.   Any member can post a topic.  However,  with  these projects, a second private area will be set up which contains all of the downloadable plans and info.  Like Triton, You must pay a small fee to access this second area.  Once you do so in the NRG store,  you will receive an invitation with access to this area of the Group so you can download the plans etc.  In the image below you can see "Triton Downloads".   If you didnt request access through the store, you wouldnt even see this choice in the drop-down menu .  But if you did Pay your 5 bucks......shortly after doing so, you will receive an invite notifying you that this area is now available in your menu.

group.jpg

PRIVATE Group Projects/Seminars  ..... 

These types of groups will not appear in the menu ever....unless you have been invited to join.  Only those who have been invited to join can see the project and its content or participate in it.  We do not have any of these at this time.

Once again......please note that we are making some changes to the functionality and display of forum.  You might notice a few things as we test them and turn these features On and Off.   Thank You.  :D

I am also going to assume that because there hasnt been much feedback posted about the changes that they are being well received.   Mostly because each time we make some upgrades or changes we usually only get the negative feedback in these in topics.  I am glad to see that all is well.

We are continuing to take advantage of new features to make your MSW experience better!!! :D

Chuck, in the summary of latest posts on right side, can you make it just show the topic names only and not iclude the 1st few lines of the post ? With the added lines it gets a little cluttered and I think probably shortens the list a bit. 

Otherwise all is good.

Just want to say thank you to the team for all the work they put into this site.   It is by far the best site for ship modelers which is confirmed by the massive number of members world wide.  

Allan

Thank You guys!!!!

It nice to be appreciated.  We have a great staff and they are passionate about this site. As soon as time permits, we will start adding more ship model techniques to the tab in the top menu.  We will try and hit all of the frequently sought after topics and create a great resource for the hobby.

Nice changes.

Is the group build for the Triton full hull build closed? I couldn't find the old subforum. 

Is it possible to highlight a groubuild (club), if there are new posts?

1 hour ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Nice changes.

Is the group build for the Triton full hull build closed? I couldn't find the old subforum. 

Is it possible to highlight a groubuild (club), if there are new posts?

No, these are now accessed in tabs on each build area:

Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 07.16.41.jpg

I noticed the changes the other day, but didn't know they were new. I just thought I'd overlooked them!

Thanks much for all the great work you guys are doing! The upgrades are really great, especially the "modeling techniques" section. I know it will take a lot of work to put that section together, but what a treasure when it's done!

This website just keeps getting better!  You guys are doing a fantastic job and the improvements are coming faster than my pea sized brain can keep up with them. Keep up the good work, I am sure it is appreciated by all.