Yankee Hero by Jeffrey - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - first build

We’re Here is a nice choice. After I built Hero I did Fannie Gorham, then We’re Here. My last one was Niagara, but Instead of building her plank on frame, and having only experience on solid hulls, I built Niagara’s hull solid, then planked it. Got all the thrill of planking without the hassles of trying to keep bulkheads square and aligned with the keel, and had an infinite points at which planks could be glued. Had, I thought, very satisfactory results. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

• 4 months later...

I built the Eastport Pinky, almost the identical kit, from Bluejacket over 30 years ago.  Just today,  for another project, I have been wracking my brain trying to remember how I attached those toe rails along the deck edge.  I was living in Maine temporarily, working on a pulp mill project,  and had no modeling tools with me except maybe an exact knife and sandpaper.  No CA glue, no tiny drill bits to allow for pins through the wood, no Google,  no internet then.  I must have soaked the wood and prebent them, then taped them in place?  Any ideas of alternate ways to do this?  I just requested the information from the instruction booklet or drawing today via pdf from BLUEJACKET,  but I see from your posts that they must not say in detail how to do this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jeffrey,

If it was not for your post I would not have experienced my progress to date.

Thank you, regards and safety to all friends and family.

Bill T.

Take care folks, always appreciative of everyone's support!

Bill T.

Finished Builds:

Revell:  Cutty Shark 1980 (1/96 Plastic); Thermopylae 1981 (1/96 Plastic); USS Constitution 1983 (1/96 Plastic), USS United States 1985 (1/96 Plastic)

Midwest Products: Chesapeake Bay Skip-Jack Success Series (2001 Wood), Booths Bay Lobster Boat Working R/C Success Series (1"-1' 2002-2019)

Blue Jacket Shipcrafters: Yankee Hero (3/8-1 2020 on MSW), Revenue Cutter (1/4"-1' Current)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jeffrey,

Studying your build and a mentor for your wonderful work on the "Hero" since January 2020, question for you. Did you paint your mast hoops or keep them stock brass, I can not tell by the pictures. If brass they look clean. Your post have been a great help and inspiration.

I hope family and you are safe and healthy. Thank you.

Bill T.

Take care folks, always appreciative of everyone's support!

Bill T.

Finished Builds:

Revell:  Cutty Shark 1980 (1/96 Plastic); Thermopylae 1981 (1/96 Plastic); USS Constitution 1983 (1/96 Plastic), USS United States 1985 (1/96 Plastic)

Midwest Products: Chesapeake Bay Skip-Jack Success Series (2001 Wood), Booths Bay Lobster Boat Working R/C Success Series (1"-1' 2002-2019)

Blue Jacket Shipcrafters: Yankee Hero (3/8-1 2020 on MSW), Revenue Cutter (1/4"-1' Current)