Bluebell by Kevin - Revel - 1/72 - Flower-class corvette with GLS upgrade - restarted Jan 2022

34 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

As a kid I always remembered staring up at this kit with longing eyes, it was always sitting out of reach - physically on the top shelf, and financially in its huge box!  Never seen the PE before, so definitely want to follow your progress Kevin, this is the first PE I've seen that needs to be soldered.  You're doing a great job.

Jason, good morning

the whole of the after superstructure is a big piece of brass (or whatever PE is) and their instructions strongly recommend soldering throughout the build, i am getting better, but have a big issue of heat transfer, where i make a join, then add another big piece to it, and the first piece falls apart again

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

Jason, good morning

the whole of the after superstructure is a big piece of brass (or whatever PE is) and their instructions strongly recommend soldering throughout the build, i am getting better, but have a big issue of heat transfer, where i make a join, then add another big piece to it, and the first piece falls apart again

Have you tried a heat sink  - even a croc clip would help direct some of the heat away.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Have you tried a heat sink  - even a croc clip would help direct some of the heat away.

OC.

hello OC im quite pleased at my progress wrt learning  soldering, i have now started spot  soldering and then using a larger hot iron and doing the seam, so the heat is not on the  ectch so long therefore previous work is not falling off, LOL i have cursed this build several time and learnt new swear words, something to chuckle over a pint with a like minded friend, but that dont happen any more

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good evening everyone

please ignore the mess the pieces are in, they will be cleaned by the next post

the bridge work continues, apart from looking and playing with some deck parts earlier

but for now this is my priority, 

it may look a mess but it does look better in real life, LOL had i known they would look this bad i perhaps would not have posted them

photo 6 took me 3 hours to redo time and time again, at last i then got the finish i wanted, to realise it was meant to be stepped up,

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4728.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

2 hours ago, Javlin said:

It won't look a mess once you get some paint laid on it. ;) Kevin

i dont think i have been so dissapointed  with my own work as I have been with this build, a week into it, and i have already thought about abandoning it, i just cannot get my head around the soldering, i get one joint perfect, the next one is rubbish, i rework it and the first one falls apart, i am knocking bits off and it all looks so messy and untidy

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

i dont think i have been so dissapointed  with my own work as I have been with this build, a week into it, and i have already thought about abandoning it, i just cannot get my head around the soldering, i get one joint perfect, the next one is rubbish, i rework it and the first one falls apart, i am knocking bits off and it all looks so messy and untidy

That's all part of the curve Kevin trust me I was not happy with the Wash on my last build but enjoyed the rigging for the most part.So,on the new build I am trying a different products for the wash.I like to do wood work and sometimes I do a piece three times but at the end of the day every piece of work I do has a "Persian Rug Flaw" everyone and I may be the only one who knows it but it's there.Solder on you will get better ;) Kevin

Kevin, go look at Mahuna's build log of his skipjack Kathryn. He used a gel that acted like a heat synch to protect already done solder joints while he did the next one. Or send him a PM .  It seemed to work well for him

Edited by Jack12477

good evening everyone

thank you for the comments and likes

well after trowing all my toys out of the pram, i made the decision to rip it all apart and start again, must learn to de-solder one day as well, lol for me it just spread hot solder every where

taken apart a real mess

IMG_4735.thumb.JPG.e502ed0e592121f04b967edb074cf92c.JPG

cleaned up and this time i put the shed on firstIMG_4736.thumb.JPG.790d6d8921f058de6f3946be56486f3f.JPG

part of the instructions

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.0e2fb4f3707261fa2b613ebb329f9e90.JPGIMG_4743.thumb.JPG.4f0f5a544d49b0628b23e268632d530d.JPG

my copyright, every build has been on the wheelie bin for photos

IMG_4741.thumb.JPG.012bef5287e883b13d3ab96c054b02dd.JPG

im much happier tonight

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Looking better, nicely spray painted wheelie bin as well

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

4 minutes ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Looking better, nicely spray painted wheelie bin as well

Bismark, Victory, Fife, St Nectan and bluebell have all had their mug shots taken on there

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

5 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

looking good Kevin.  Like the camo colored wheelie bin also.

not sure about the dustmen though, and its never going to go missing

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Second wind my friend - second wind, I knew  you could do it.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Practice makes perfect they say.  Well done, Kevin.   Do look for that Cool Jell that Jack recommended. It will probably make things easier.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

your progress is really good Kevin :)   I must admit though.......I haven't heard of too many that has used solder on PE.  I thought about it,  but always ended up using the recommended adhesive...CA.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 8/11/2019 at 1:39 AM, popeye the sailor said:

your progress is really good Kevin :)   I must admit though.......I haven't heard of too many that has used solder on PE.  I thought about it,  but always ended up using the recommended adhesive...CA.  

Good morning popeye

the instructions do call out for so;der in quite a lot of the build, as some of the brass bits are quite large, i sure you could get away from it by using C/A and 2 part epoxy, and my challange this build was to try it

IMG_4797.thumb.JPG.3f4a28e5202c537ff7341fbbbf340d05.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

after the disastrous first week of the build, i have made a few conclusions

i was totally overwhelmed by the amount of shiny stuff, in the addons, everything had to be opened and played with, im sure others can relate to this

Soldering, is my way ahead for this build, no i didn't know haw to do it and never had the right stuff, now sorted and will show in a later post

the hull

having made up the 4 sections the keel has to be removed and fared into the plates at the bow, also the hull plates are to thick and porthole eyebrows need to be gone,

a bulk of the work has now been done

but many more hours still required to make it presentable 

IMG_4690.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

21 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Superb work on the hull. Quite a departure from the oversized plates of the old Matchbox mold.

Yves

Thank you, the main mess is out of the way, but still a lot to do to remove seam lines and sort the bow out

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

On 8/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, Kevin said:

good evening not my photo and i dont know where it came from

248c5e0c-9507-47be-8759-f1fd58ac2fee.jpeg.29ed9f586e2c9e32e75878d9be5ead06.jpeg

Kevin, this is the picture from the Pontos upgrade set for the Revell 1:144 Snowberry.  From what I can tell, the Parkins set for the 1:72 Snowberry kit will probably replace/enhance even more than the Pontos upgrades for the 1:144 kit.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

11 hours ago, Kevin said:

after the disastrous first week of the build, i have made a few conclusions

i was totally overwhelmed by the amount of shiny stuff, in the addons, everything had to be opened and played with, im sure others can relate to this

Soldering, is my way ahead for this build, no i didn't know haw to do it and never had the right stuff, now sorted and will show in a later post

Kevin,

Fine soldering is an art form which has been lost to the Western world with a few exceptions. I collect brass train in O scale and most of them are hand soldered in Korea and sometimes in China. Japanese used to be good at this art form, but costs have taken the production of these models to Korea and Viet-Nam. It is extremely difficult and requires precise tools: 

- Gloves to insulate your fingers from the heat and to avoid staining the brass.

- Resistance soldering unit for most small parts.

- Iron for larger parts.

- Torch for very big parts.

Quite often it is necessary to build jigs and special fixtures to dampen the heat. It explains why these steam engines built by hand retails for more than $2K each and prices keep going up.

I have used all the above techniques with various success and sometimes, I find JB Welding the best way to solder (Epoxy Glue) parts with success. I am not sure if you can find JB Welding in the UK, but it is basically a two tubes epoxy compound, with extremely small metallic flakes in suspension. 

The following link explains some of the phases of building a brass model: 

http://www.3rdrail.com/makebrass.htm

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Great work mate,   that hull  will look superb  1/72 scale should help the fine detailing to really pop.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Really tempted to build this but I have no skill whatsoever with solder, I’d have to use CA. You’re doing a great job so far. 

The hull plates really are quite quite large aren’t they will no rivets either! That would annoy the hell out of me. You seem to have it well in hand. 

Edited by RGL

Greg

7 hours ago, RGL said:

Really tempted to build this but I have no skill whatsoever with solder, I’d have to use CA. You’re doing a great job so far. 

The hull plates really are quite quite large aren’t they will no rivets either! That would annoy the hell out of me. You seem to have it well in hand. 

the estimated count is 10,000, i have seen a build in the last few days where a punch had been used to simulate rivets, and yes i have the idea to use C/A to simulate the heads

NOT MY PHOTO, but shows rivet detail

8f43dde6-e8bb-4f95-bd60-b16070b7df2a.thumb.jpg.92b3b619eb3326ba1a665710bce57912.jpgIMG_4788.thumb.JPG.1f1e0523cf807c8087b2309691908ac9.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Hope you won't mind me adding this video to your thread, but take 10 minutes to watch this excellent primer on soldering photo etch. I think the tips are first rate...and they work.

i copied this idea and it never worked for me,

i have no idea what was supplied to me  as 60/40 solder 

since then i have changed it and the flux, and getting much better results IMG_4798.thumb.JPG.15829a82db82fe8a11cd7a84b3776bd8.JPG

will post photo later  of what i am using

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great result, night and day difference Kevin.  I really need to develop my skill soldering as well... 

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)