It depends on whether you're looking for true PoF or not. BlueJacket offer the Baltimore clipper Jefferson Davis, and though the ad copy says "true plank on frame", I believe it is actually modified from actual practice. Makes a great model, though.

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

It depends on whether you're looking for true PoF or not. BlueJacket offer the Baltimore clipper Jefferson Davis, and though the ad copy says "true plank on frame", I believe it is actually modified from actual practice. Makes a great model, though.

Likewise, the Bluejacket America is POF...

38 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Likewise, the Bluejacket America is POF...

At least the larger one is.  I've lost momentum working on mine, though see my build log (in the signature) for a look at it.

Depends on how large a boat you are talking about.  Several manufactures including Model Shipways, Master Korabel and I think Dusek make PoF models of open boats.

The Lumberyard products are more correctly termed "semi-kits". They include some laser cut parts and milled stock (described in more detail at their website), but there is a significant amount of what is essentially scratch-building involved.

The Model Shipways Emma C. Berry is a POF. I believe it is also a true POF. The Bluejacket 1/96th Bluenose, is a semi POF, as not all the frames on the original are included in the plans or kit. As for the BJ 1/48th BN and the JD, I have no knowledge of them.

Posted (edited)

Uhhhh, this isn’t a kit? Or is it not  available?https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18289-hms-halifax-1768-by-alde-lumberyard-kit-148-scale-based-on-harold-hahn-drawings-and-book/?tab=comments#comment-562745

I’m pretty sure Dave has a POF Gunboat kit also, but I could be wrong.....

Edited by ASAT
CRS

To essay as to why this search may be a dry hole

The two "POF" schooner kits -  Are not what an actual POF hull would be.  They appear to be at best 1/3 room and 2/3 space. Almost a cartoon, if the frames are left unplanked.

The Hahn method - a modeler's convention - not a reproduction of actual hull framing is 1/2 room and 1/2 space.

The actual framing - from the early 18th century until 1860 was individual to the ship and country of origin.  An average - would

be closer to 2/3 room and 1/3 space.  The other extreme - with some Continental frigates - all room except for all but invisible air circulation gaps.

Framing these as built and showing the frames - it would  be essentially a solid vertical wall - not visually interesting at all.  Leaving out every other 

bend - a more interesting hull.  Since this is Hahn's period of interest, perhaps this is a source for his style.

It is my experience that a true POF hull - either done using a modeler's convention style e.g. Hahn/ Navy Board or actually mimicking the

the actual vessel would be difficult to mass produce.  It is labor intensive,  No two parts are identical.  Current methods - especially Hahn or Navy Board -

have a high waste factor in timber wood stock - almost profligate.  And the wood species needed for the timbers can be expensive. 

In actual practice,  a first rate almost required a forest to frame.  In England, the first real one was so expensive,  the tax revolt was a tipping point for a 

major change in governance.  The requirements for timber stock for a model in the larger scale range almost feels as significant.

With the methods in current use,  about the only short cut is to start with a set of plans or monograph with the individual frames already lofted.

Lou, you're right.... that is a kit.   I thought (last time I checked some time ago) all they had were "timbering sets" for the hull.

Can’t believe one has recommended the best plank on frame company....Our very own Syren ship mode company has 2 of the best plank on frame models currently available.  Both the Queen Anne Barge and the Longboat kits fit the bill

Greg , thats the one I was thinking of. It's Chinese so I would expect some friction from MRG. There is a build log on the Alert so maybe some of the Chinese manufacturers have figured it out