Vane

HMS Diana by Vane - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Posted (edited)

HMS Diana – 4th build

In spite of reason, I decided to order my dream kit mainly because I know that Brexit is around the corner and perhaps after it will be more difficult/expensive to deal with my supplier in UK. Hopefully I wont start building it for a while, since I really need to finish my other kits. But at least, I have it and decided to make the start of a buildlog.    

I have always thought this is one of the most beautiful ships from the Nelson era and I really like my other Caldercraft kits, especially in 1:64. Its really huge so it will take years to complete.  

Diana-web.jpg.3fda367592abcc06f0aaa06a0f763a81.jpg

History

According to Wikipedia, HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794 and had 8 sister ships (Artois, Jason, etc).  

Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.

On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers.

Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder.

300px-HMS_Diana_(1823)_-_bottom_left.jpg.bb54168e9e9b63b4c47e4eeb4ffc886d.jpg

The kit

The first impression of the box is just that it is huge. The box is just way bigger than all of the other kits i have bought. As I understand, this was the first kit Caldercraft made in the Nelson Navy series so some of its design my be outdated and plans are not at all as good as their newer kits.

It takes alot of time just to go through the parts and they seemed to be very high quality of basically everything. There has been some critic of the walnut provided in these kits but maybe Caldercraft have listen because its perfect in this box.

Diana-1.thumb.jpg.eaaeb2564fbd98085a505bf69e0196c4.jpg
A huge box!

Diana-3.thumb.jpg.6dc113726b424631aec6004aa9bbbe41.jpg
  Everything in it....

Diana-4.thumb.jpg.f877a19273350936e7acb29d40a7fdbc.jpg
The frames

Diana-5.thumb.jpg.4f37c0a658673605e7ae68a6c8566750.jpg
This small boat kits will probably take some time to do...

Diana-6.thumb.jpg.b8867b2271f7572d7262dd9434a78079.jpg
Walnut details… here I discovered that even though it is stated that it is a 38-gun frigate… it also got an additional 8 carronades!

Diana-7.thumb.jpg.78a810c042743ccda1c3f04f5f801547.jpg

All these parts came in the white small box.

Plans-1.thumb.jpg.f9b064b5925692347f3e45d93e8011f8.jpg

The manuals are not that detailed…

Plans-2.thumb.jpg.6d9ef00823effdd4281e6bc010c0011a.jpg
And I think I have more plans for my Granado… even though its less than half the size.

Wish me luck, I am going to need it!

Edited by Vane

There is plenty of Wood in this kit. As you can see, Walnut, Lime and the dovels are in excellent condition. Its only the Tanganyika for the deck that are a bit of a disappointment. But I will probably replace that with  maple anyway.  

Wood-1.jpg

Wood-2.jpg

Wood-3.jpg

Wood-4.jpg

Wood-5.jpg

Wood-6.jpg

Wood-7.jpg

Wood-8.jpg

Wood-9.jpg

Wood-10.jpg

Wood-11.jpg

Beautiful ship and something that i want to build in the future! The walnut looks really good indeed. The wood supplied in the kit of the Pickle was of a much less quality. Tanganyika looks the same 😉

Horrible 😁

Wow, you really have your work cut out for you with your Caldercraft selection.  As you point out, this is probably one of the older 'modern' kits out there so there are plenty of opportunities to improve one the kit out of the box as you see fit.  The Artois class really are one of the best looking ship types available in a model (IMHO!).  Look forward to seeing you start, there is quite the 'Diana' club right now on MSW so plenty of other builds to get pointers from.

Cheers

Thanks. Well I am quite happy you are some steps ahead of me on both the Snake and Diana so i can just sit back and relax and let you guide me through it... but i very much doubt I will come near your quality!

I am very thankfull for this forum and especially the buildlogs that are invaluable help. When it comes to my Diana build I will carefully study the following logs which I think are excellent: 

1) Finished build of HSM Diana by Ray
2) Ongoing build of sistership HMS Jason by Beef Wellington - This one possibly one of the most impressive builds on this forum

3) Ongoing build of sistership HMS Ethalion by RobDurant   

4) Finished build of HSM Diana by Barbossa - Unfortunately started in the middle of the build
5) Ongoing build of HMS Diana by PeterHudson - Still in the early stages of the project 

Thanks. I have some great kits on the way but it is likely that I will take some time before i seriously start building this kit. Need to work on the others first and also improve my skills along the way. Diana is kind of my Dream build but I need to learn more before i will be ready for it! 

Lower deck finished... this will basically not be seen when the model is completed but Good to see how the supplied mtrl looks like. I have bought my own maple for the next deck.

20191013_152047.jpg

Decided to cut this board in two pieces to make it easier to handle. My new Proxxon table saw made it very easy. However, while one of the sides fitted perfectly, the other one didnt line up... should i be worried about the hull not being straight? 

20191020_194229.jpg

20191020_194253.jpg

I'd be surprised if it were to far out given that you have the lower deck in place... if you have a metre ruler and a set square you could check the keel for straightness and the frames that they're at 90 degrees to the keel, and then go along and mark the lines across the deck from each of the notches  to the centre of the deck (at 90degrees to the centreline where you've made your cut) and see if they match up (that is to say it may be the deck that is mis-shaped) ... only a pencil, ruler, set square will give you the definitive answer. Once you know you can work out a plan of action.

Definitely.worth working it out before.you go too much further though.

Hope it proves to be a simple fix :)

Rob

Try flipping the deck pieces over - may fit better, may be the same..... if the bulkheads are glued to the lower deck then I would open the slots in the deck till it fits and reshape center openings- after you plank it the effects of 1-2 mm should be minimal, you would probably incur greater consequences trying to fix it.....

Thanks I will test that. Once i completed my 2nd planking on my Granado i will start  Working on the Diana again 🙂