Yahagi by Javlin - FINISHED - Hasegawa - 1/350 - PLASTIC - IJN Light Cruiser

I started the build last night on 8/4/19 the hull went together in a snap and with many many internal supports.The deck required that many holes from the underside be drilled out for this particular ship I would imagine that rest of the holes were for others of the Agano class of light cruisers.I have a PE from Eduard for the Agano class for the railings plus what Hase supplied mainly for the flight deck area.

Pictures :profile,supports hull,assembled hull and size Yahagi 19.5" and Yukikaze 11.5"

yahagi.jpg

Yahagi 003.JPG

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 002.JPG

Awesome!  I love the lines in this ship, can’t wait to see where you go with it!

I bought a FSM back issue that had an article on a Yahagi build.  Was beautiful- took the guy 800+ hours if I remember correctly.  Not exactly sure why.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The bridge PE is just about to come to a close tomorrow another rail and a couple of doors(open) to be added.I will then work my way up the SS to the range finder which I should get that handled tomorrow easy if I don't hit the range.Some Pics...........

PS: added some ladders from Infini and the doors are from them also I will add tomorrow.

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 004.JPG

Yahagi 005.JPG

I got to the range finder.I started on the 6" guns and I found it handy to cut the barrel short(leave some) and start the the center with #11 and go to the drill bit.This allows for a restart if you drift which I did on one and I was able to do a restart and correct.Pics..... ;) Kevin

and yes I fix that guns barrels before the glue set ;)

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 002.JPG

Yahagi 003.JPG

Nice Kevin.  Did the kit come with the brass barrels or are they aftermarket?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice Kevin.  Did the kit come with the brass barrels or are they aftermarket?

Came with it Mike and the brass to build the whole A/C platform.I am not sure yet do I use that are the plastic I will try to build it if it looks good then I will use it in the build.

I continue to move forward on this one I try to put in some work  everyday(like cdrusn89)  1-3hrs for short days and 5-8 on my days off if life permits tonight two hrs.I painted the turrets,funnel,searchlight station and all the small bits on the foredeck.I have a question though the hose reels for fire control what color is the hoses?I seen on one build they were red and it be some color to the build but would like accuracy in this case.Thks Kevin ;)

A couple of different lightings

Yahagi 002.JPG

Yahagi 004.JPG

I would say that I starting to approach the 50% mark on this one nothing on the deck is glued yet except small pieces.I opted to go for the plastic hanger since I folded the brass hanger deck one time opened it back went to go glue it shut and it broke!after one fold?I tried to align the folded pieces but it was off after the glue dried.I said nope and to boot the anti-skid pattern on the brass looked out of scale of what of been a persons foot the plastic is much more subtle.I am going to incorporate some other pieces hopefully if all goes well from the brass hanger kit.She's looking the part............;) Kevin

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 002.JPG

Yahagi 003.JPG

Looks great Kevin!  What did you use for the hull red if you don't mind me asking?  

Mike

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks great Kevin!  What did you use for the hull red if you don't mind me asking?  

Mike like to give you a definitive answer but it's a home brew I had a little left of Matt70 Humbrol and started adding a Red Humbrol till I got to the point I was satisfied.The color that Hase recommends is a Tamy color a little more brown than mine and in the right lighting that brown does peek a little more in my mixture.Well I got the catapult built out of the PE and good thing they gave me two carts for I destroyed one so it goes :Whew:Kevin

Edited by Javlin

The works of the last couple of days the white marks on the deck are were I filled with sprue to put after market PE ladders instead.The back side of the plane platform you can just see a brass ladder poking it's way through. ;) Kevin536236394_Yahagi002.thumb.JPG.62c5e2db1ea72483977e753ec3c77a8a.JPG

Yahagi 001.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Love the lines on this ship.  Great job! 👍

Mike

I got quite a bit done today got all the funnels/air ducts put in place added the front antenna everything is glued down except the aft crane house.I still have alot of little bits to add but they have been sprayed and are drying ATTM.I am beginning to think I may not go down the road of a wash I like the way she looks now I also have started on the planes floats are on should be painted by Sunday I hope. ;) Kevin

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 002.JPG

Yahagi 003.JPG

Yahagi 004.JPG

Very nice!  With all those holes in the deck, looks like you have a lot of fun details to add.  The crane and platform are very cool items of interest on this ship.

What are those raised lines on the hull sides for?  

Mike

It's a very small update on the build (lots of work) I have been working on the P/E of the planes and the launches time comsuming but believe it will be beneficial in the long run little things.The P/E company supplied templates so as to get the launches set up correctly in there cradles and planes came with the cables for floats and props which I twisted in the appropriate direction for some pitch.Thks for all the likes fellas and interest! :imNotWorthy: Kevin

Yahagi 002.JPG

Thks for looking in fellas got a bit done today first day off in seven looking for that holiday (October).The planes are just about done got some single AA's to line the front deck,AA towers on the side installed,extra floats installed between AA tower and funnel and a bunch of little bits on the rear deck.Excuse the mess on the desk but more work tomorrow I will let the pictures do the talking. ;) Kevin

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 002.JPG

Yahagi 003.JPG

Yahagi 004.JPG

Yahagi 005.JPG

13 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Beautiful model.

Yves

Thanks Yves!I am liking her to it's going to be a clean build but she sure looks like a lady ready for the show.I got all the AA's on the rear deck,painted the hose reels the same color as the hull and have started clearing the wood base.The time I spent on the other side of the shop doing the base I planed down some more 5/4 red oak to 1" getting ready to build the back of a new modeling cabinet.Pics tomorrow night I hope. ;) Kevin

Edited by Javlin

Looking great!  Those cranes really make for an interesting focal point on the model.

Did the Yahagi have bands on the smokestacks (for lack of a better word, I forget what they are called)?  The Shimakaze did and I’m thinking about how to best add them, especially given that there are 2-3 narrow bands to include.  Hard to figure out how to weather, etc. when I also have PE to add to them.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 7:50 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking great!  Those cranes really make for an interesting focal point on the model.

Did the Yahagi have bands on the smokestacks (for lack of a better word, I forget what they are called)?  The Shimakaze did and I’m thinking about how to best add them, especially given that there are 2-3 narrow bands to include.  Hard to figure out how to weather, etc. when I also have PE to add to them.

Sorry for the late reply Mike and I have read some of the ships carried them for specific operations but I do not have any other info than what was supplied and no mention of anything special on the stacks or have I seen it in other builds.The build continues to move forward though a little slower due to  pain in the upper back I hope to get some facet injections next week if the insurance gives it a go left work one day pain was beyond anything I have had in 18 months or so.So,I have just a little more railing to do on the aft deck area,position some a/c part parts around the hanger deck and a few more men here and there.Pics........

Yahagi 001.JPG

Yahagi 002.JPG

Yahagi 003.JPG

Yahagi 004.JPG

Yahagi 006.JPG

Yahagi 008.JPG

Well I am calling this one finished added a partial wing and prop to the flight deck.I added two more characters to the deck but not happy with the the them(PE) so bind them for now I have some unpainted 3D just a few poses though.I also built the boat/ladder launch for receiving of boats from other ships but dog go-nit my last tin H140 went south tried several mixes to no avail saving it for Chikuma,I will change the title once I get some appropriate pics outdoors in natural light .I thank all that have been following and looking in with the likes keep the motivation going to all :imNotWorthy: Kevin   pic.....

Chikuma 002.JPG

Beautiful work Kevin!  Very nicely done.  Are you going with the Mogami or Chikuma next?

Mike

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

8 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Beautiful work Kevin!  Very nicely done.  Are you going with the Mogami or Chikuma next?

Thks Mike Chikuma has already hit yard ;)

6 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Congratulations!  Well done!

Thks Phil I keep pressing on life is to short and to many kits between my planes and ships( 10-15) I have maybe 200/300 unbuilt.I know a retired Colonel in Mexico from another forum an I have sent some kits free 1/72 and 1/48 planes I'll never get to.He does more with them in group builds than I ever would of. ;) Kevin