Discussions about chapter one - Bulkhead material-skeleton framework for Winchelsea

This is where we will discuss any questions and details for assembling the bulkheads and keel parts as described in chapter one of the monograph.

Ok I'll ask the first question. When I scratched the Confederacy I believe I used 5 ply birch plywood from National Balsa.

Is this the type of plywood that would work for the Winnie or is there a better type of plywood available out there.

Thanks

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

any kind would work but that is some tough stuff.  Think about how annoying it would be to fair inboard with that. Its absolutely stronger than other ply so its better to prevent the extensions from breaking.

That said, I used the poplar light ply they offer.  Its easier to sand, but splinters on the edges.  So you have to fix that before painting.

Its a trade-off.

I remember it ate saw blades and was difficult to sand too. I'll gladly use the light ply! Thanks. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The trade off is that only the lite ply can be used for laser cutting.  That is what you will get when you buy the laser cut package.  BUT, the Birch is actually better and stronger and leaves a nice clean edge without splintering.

Laser cutters cant cut through the Birch ply at all, especially at 1/4" thick.   The glue layers are too tough.  So if you dont mind sanding the birch stuff, that is the best way to go.  But man-oh-man it is tough to sand when you fair the hull.  Especially inboard.  And this model has a lot of bulkheads.

40 minutes ago, Chuck said:

But man-oh-man it is tough to sand when you fair the hull.  Especially inboard.

Oh I remember! I used the 3/8 5 ply on Winnie V1 and thought I blew out my rotator cuff fairing her! 

I'll give the lite ply a try and see how the cutting goes. I've got some Super Sharps scroll saw blades that might keep the splintering to a minimum.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

So, roughly how many sheets of 1/4x12x24 sheets of plywood would it take for the bulkheads and false keel?

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi Jeff,

Chuck lists it as 8 sheets for the bulkheads and I do believe that includes the false keel.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That is correct.  You could probably squeeze them into 7 but it all depends on how you lay them parts out.  So 8 would do it comfortably.  When I laser cut them I use 7 sheets but they are packed together tightly.   

Ok the first chapter is now available for download so you guys can get started.  This should keep you guys busy for a while.  I will now try and catch up with making blocks and rope and more laser cut packages.   

Let me know if you guys have any questions on the first chapter.  At 26 pages, by the time this project is completed we will be looking at several hundred pages of instructional material. In just a couple of days we have had over 50 people sign up for access to the plans and join the project.  I would love to see more build logs set up for those who intend to build her.

As I cant be on every forum with so much production work to do.  I would appreciate if you could create a topic and maybe announce that this project has been started on other forums you belong to.  Maybe even comment on facebook as well.   I would love to get the word out there and any help you can give would HUGE!!!!   Thanks in advance.

Chuck

I was talking to Chris and he had a wonderful idea.   If you are cutting your own bulkheads......take advantage of the stronger birch ply because it has less tendency to warp, you could cut your false keel out of that.  BUT you can switch to lite ply for all of your bulkheads which will make it easier to sand and fair later.   Best of both worlds.  Use both.

Chuck

Just an update.  I must have received a dozen emails and PMs about this today.  The laser cut plywood Bulkhead set is being outsourced.  I am not laser cutting them in my shop.  In fact, Nic at Bluejacket is cutting all of my plywood bulkheads for this Winnie project.   Just the plywood bulkhead set.  Thank You Nic!!!!  It will probably be another two weeks before he ships me the next batch of ten plywood bulkhead sets.   

The laser cut packages for the first two chapters are however in stock right now.  They are the Yellow Cedar versions.  I am going to try and laser cut a few in Cherry next week for those of you who are waiting for those.

In addition,  as mentioned several times before.  This is not a complete "in the box" kit.   You will need to mill your own planking strips etc.  I have plenty of milled cedar sheets available for the project.   And you can buy cherry sheets just about anywhere.   https://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll-saw-lumber/  these guys are a great source.

I will provide the laser cut pieces/fittings for each chapter in Cedar and in Cherry.  Probably more than you would have thought.  I will have all of the carvings and cannon available too.  BUT I will not be cutting any parts in any other woods .  Sorry, its just too much to handle, two woods are my limit!!!!  So please, if you want to use another wood other than those, you must scratch everything....or simply select another subject for your next project.   If you ask , and you send me a PM or email and ask anyway,  I am going to say "no".   So keep this in mind.   This is why we released this as an alternative scratch/semi-scratch project so you can build everything in any wood and in any scale you like.  

Thank You   :D  Enjoy the project.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I have been perusing the plans and monograph, I noticed the bollard uprights are not on the 1/4” thick first installment sheet, the chock is though? Also is it necessary to use a hardwood for the gunport framing? Am I wrong that all we will see of that framing is going to be painted? Wondering if basswood will be ok there or does a harder wood take the paint better? Sorry but I haven’t used paint much on previous models...... I’m probably missing something.

And also, are you going to provide a sheet for the gunport framing uprights that are all the different angles? I can see how they would ease some of the pain of that framing 😄 thanks in advance.....  

Lou

Bollards on on one of the sheets.  In fact i have supplied 3 sets becausr I know they are tricky.  Just in case.  Badswood will so for the framing and yes yhere is a sheet of laser cut port uprights just as mentioned in chapter one

Its there now.!!!  And remember that they may also be on the main larger sheets.   I may have just forgot to copy them onto the 8 1/2" x 11" sheets.  So let me know.   Send me a PM though next time.  

Chuck, what do you think of using MDF for the keel and bulkheads? I know Amati has been using it for some time now even on the Vanguard which is a sizable model. I was planning on veneering in some thin pear where the gunport framing is on the bulkheads and framing sills and lintels in pear anyway. Do you know if they are using a special type or do you think the 1/4” stuff at Home Depot would be OK?  Wondering if would hold up to fairing and stay true.......Just thinking outside a bit, and it’s local plus cheap!

I actually have no idea.  I never used it before so I couldnt say.  Try not to over think it Lou.  I realize there are a lot of choices but if you deliberate every tiny tiny detail you will probablu never make any sawdust.

Just go buy some and give it a try.  You will know pretty quick if its not gonna work.  

There might be a problem to get it planked. MDF has a good surface, but if you cut it, the surface is a bit fibrous and extremely absorbent. Another Point is, that it as far less stable then plywood, the narrow beams of bulkhead 27 for example will probably just break of, if you sand them in shape. That might actually happen to all the small top parts of the bulkheads.

I should have thought of this before, but on this side of the pond we’ve gone metric. I can get 6mm ply and 6.5mm ply - one is slightly under 1/4” and the other slightly over. 

My question is, how big a deal is this? Can I, for example, just tweak the slots in the keel to accommodate slightly thinner/thicker bulkheads? Or are there other potential problems I’ve not considered?

Grateful for any thoughts and advice. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Yes you can.....and for the record, I used 6mm ply for my model.  Its all good.  You may of course have to check and tweak the slot size because all 1/4"/6mm ply is not actually 1/4" or 6mm.  It doesnt matter though as long as your slots are snug.

So I shipped out about 30 sets of the first installment of laser cut cedar parts over the last two weeks.   Many of you have probably received them by now.   Has anyone started to assemble those stem parts yet?   I would love to start seeing some build activity in those build logs.   Anyone start yet?   I used Titebond to glue the stem pieces together.   I am eager to see some progress from the group.  Shipped out 30 sets but only half of those have started a build log.  I would also love to see some more of those lurkers start a log as well.   Nudge ....nudge....

Just doing a little prodding!!!!  :D

Chuck

seven will do it but buy eight or nine in case one is horribly warped.    Are you taking the plunge?   Start a log and join the party!!!!  :D

Thanks for asking that, that's exactly what I needed to know as I already have a supply of birch ply and only need to order for the bulkheads. So 6 plus maybe an extra for mistakes or warping is what I'll order.

Dave

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)