Discussions about chapter two - External hull planking for Winchelsea

On 9/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, Chuck said:

I havent finished chapter two yet.....but soon.   Nobody is that far in the project yet anyway.   Remember that chapter two is planking the outboard hull.   I am not even finished doing that yet.  So for now,  folks will need to use my log which is very detailed.   It has all teh info needed which will basically be copied into the actual chapter.

Lou its OK......because you can still buy them from me until that times comes.  LOL...:D

Chuck

Chuck: Thanks... I did notice you had the tick strips in the download section for chapter 2. Saw your videos on tapering the planks on the bow.. You made a onerous process for me a lot easier.. thanks... I did a less streamlined version of what you did (I soaked the wood) but I did have lots of problems in wood shrinkage and the wood getting "furry". 

I do have one question for you as well as the group build members and I apologize ahead of time if I missed something. I notice the plans for the project are at 1/4 scale and the wood products are at 1/4 scale but I notice a lot of the build logs are at 1/48 scale. I do admit I haven't read every group members log, I am curious in the interest at 1/48 vs 1/4 scale (either than the sheer size of the model?) Any information would be great.

Thanks again Chuck for this project. Its got me keen on starting something different and new as well as me renewed impetus to get my present Agamemnon project completed.

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

They are the same thing....its just another to way to say 1/4" scale.  It should really read 1:48 whenever anyone uses that terminology but they sometime type it wrong.  1/4" and 1:48 are the same size........same scale

It like 3/16" scale is the same as 1:64.  Its just another way say the same thing.  Its all the same size.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

They are the same thing....its just another to way to say 1/4" scale.  It should really read 1:48 whenever anyone uses that terminology but they sometime type it wrong.  1/4" and 1:48 are the same size........same scale

It like 3/16" scale is the same as 1:64.  Its just another way say the same thing.  Its all the same size.

Chuck: Thanks.. I was figuring that but I was wondering if I was missing something. 

Appreciate the quick response

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Chuck, great videos. 

Just out of curiosity, I wondered why you have switched from using hot air (which I saw you using to good effect in a previous video) to an iron?

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

On this model at 1/4” scale the planks are much wider.  Therefore they need more heat in my opinion.  In addition,  the hair dryer will work but it will take a lot longer to heat up the plank enough.  I think mike is using a hair dryer and its fine.  

The method of heat delivery isnt as important as the overall concept.  But i do find that the iron works quicker and is more effective.

i am still using a hair dryer elsewhere when a plank needs to be bent the other way or twisted.  For example at the stern where the planks bend and twist into the tuck of the counter.  So i am really using both.  Different tools for different situations that work best for that type of bending.

• 3 months later...

I remember getting some very good advice from someone very close to me.   It has served me well over these many years.   I was given this advice on my honeymoon.   But yes , it also applies here as well.

Just a quick note about an observation I have made.  Some of you guys are moving along very quickly.....probably too quickly.....definitely too quickly.  I mention this as a cautionary tale.  It took me more than 4 months to plank my hull on both sides below the wales.  All of the planking took me almost six months.  

I have observed that what took me months to complete has  taken some of you a mere week or two of time.   Planking is not something that can be rushed and  then have the results look neat and clean with a proper run.  Again this is a cautionary friendly word of advice as I see many of you about to start planking below the wales.  Slow down and consider each plank as an individual project.  If you get a gap between planks....tweak it so the gap goes away.  If you see dips and a poor run of planking develop....slow it up and try to correct the run of planking with your next strake or remove the offending planking and do it again.  There is absolutely no reason to rush through the hull planking.  Its just too much fun to rush through!!! :D  Planking I mean...

Remember that the planked hull is the largest visual element of your model.   Hull Planking that is rushed can sink the appearance of an otherwise wonderfully built model.  That should be printed on a fortune cookie!!!!    It will detract from everything else you do on the model no matter how well done it ends up being.   Just s friendly word of advice.....slow down and enjoy the ride.   

Remember, the bottom isnt painted.  You could plate it however if need be.  Or slow down and try to tackle just two or three strakes a day.   Probably two.  Try and slow down...best advice I was ever given.:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Hi Chuck,

I know, what you mean. In my case, it is now 7 or 8 weeks, that I started the planking. And there are definitely more than one planks, which I should not have glued in position, because with a little more effort, it could have been better. It is a matter of habit and willpower and Patience. At my work as civil engineer, things are never fast enough. You are actually always behind, trying to not loose connection. So shipmodeling is a bit like a therapy to slow down. 

The other thing is, that this model is so much fun. And I think it is a level, which is new for ordinary shipmodelbuilder like me. You just can‘t resist sitting down, doing the next plank. Today for example I spent all morning fairing inbord - and enjoyed it. I will take my time for the planking below the wales.

Matthias

• 7 months later...

Hello! I'm just about to start planking the wales and have put the batten on to mark the bottom of the wale planking but don't quite get the mention of a gentle 's' curve at the bow.

I've looked closely at the photo in chapter two and still non the wiser. I would appreciate any advice/help.

Thanks

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Its a very subtle "s" curve.   Everyone usually slopes the plank run up at the bow and that ends up causing problems.  The last 5" or so the planks curves downward.  When it meets the stem and you look head on with the battens on both sides they should run almost flat into the stem rabbet.

Ahh!! I see, thanks Chuck as you say very subtle. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 1 year later...

I’ve been successful using this method on my Cheerful and Flirt. Do you have similar discussion on the garboard? I still struggle with the very end of planking as I near the keel. Some of which comes with properly cutting and placing the garboard. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

There is no scientific method for the garboard.  At least not for me.  This is where your eye and subjectivity comes into play.  Once a hull is lined off with tape or string you can view the model from various angles to check the placement of the garboard. 

chances are you will know right away if your garboard is wrong because you wouldnt be able to run your tape or string without noticing a problem.

Look at Bens Winnie hull all lined off with string.  He tweaked them so many times to get to this which is how he found the proper placement and shape for the garboard.  The issue is that most folks dont take the time to do this with tape or string.  But look at what this method gives you.  A perfect roadmap for planking.

9D20430F-6B20-4F64-937A-8B302ACB506B.jpeg

64AD841F-C1F7-454F-B36E-DEB42F6F3D9F.jpeg