Thistle17

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Thistle17 - 1:48

As we spoke at the NE Conference, this may be my last model build. It is difficult to say that but I have to be realistic about where I am in life. I can't imagine a more elegant subject to tackle.

As you requested Chuck, I enter the "waters" and make a commitment to build a Winchelsea of cedar and will want to build it from your modular or mini kit offerings starting with the "starter" installment. Given the human factors a scratch version is not practical for me.

Joe

For some reason the Winne group project doesn't show up when you directly access the Group forum. Can the administrator move me over there please?

Joe

Great to see you join Joe.   I will have some parts available within a couple of weeks.   I really just have to package up each installment.  

I am not sure I understand your second comment however.    The group shows up just fine.   You were able to start your log.   Which group doesnt show up?   

Dont forget to check the other tabs in the header of this group.  Just under the banner.  

image.png

When I get excited (sort of like when I see a pretty woman) I tend to leap off into free space without a parachute. I had forgotten the group build by model subject (as I am so used to heading straight to a topic of interest/area) and logged in under the Scratch Banner. Then upon discovering the Winne Group on my windows 10 system I wasn't able to make an entry (this was when the Group was not yet open). Probably because I was still "free falling". Thank you for moving me over and as you can see all works well now.

Joe 

It is going to be a slow start up for me but nonetheless a startup. Drawings and hull templates printed out last week as I have decided to fabricate the bulkheads and false keel parts. And as luck will have I will travel in the very near future very close to National Balsa so I will be picking up the material needed. Haven't quite decided if I will opt for the Birch false keel quite yet but will by then. Totally conflicted by my other projects staring me in the face and pushing hard to get them cleaned up to concentrate on this captivating project.

Chuck those drawings are a work of art in themselves.

Joe

My progress reminds me of the sprinter who is the last off the blocks when the gun goes off. I finally received my 1/4 ply from National Balsa. It got lost in the delivery cycle but ultimately showed up at my door. I ordered 10 sheets and oddly they sent 12. It is all shrink wrapped so a quality inspection will soon be made. I guess they know I am prone to mistakes. Fabrication of the bulkheads should begin very soon.

My race metaphor is how I feel right now but I do understand this is not a race to the finish!

Joe

I will not clutter the forum with another rendition of bulkhead machining and keel build. Rather I will post the assembled skeletal structure and take it from there. Sufficient it to say that all bulkheads are machined as well as the false keel/former. As I assemble the Alaskan Yellow Cedar for the former supports I am forewarned that the laser char is going to be a problem in terms of keeping components clean. A good clean eraser doesn't really do it. I have had to sand them with 600 grit paper. I think I read or heard somewhere that a measure of control of the char is to give the AYC a surface coat of shellac or wiping varnish diluted. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

Joe 

Bulkhead 29 placement......go here.

Should be positioned after or while adding the stern frames so the notches for the frames line up properly.  Otherwise they may throw off the angles of the stern frames left to right if they are shifted one way or the other.  It basically doubles up bulkhead 28.  They are glued on either side of the bulkhead former and there is no slot for them.  

twentynine.jpg

Finally I am have been able to start this project with the focus and attention it is going to need. If you follow the scratch build forums I am also involved in building the Viet Nam era River Patrol Boat for the museum where we hold meetings. That project even with good drawings and photos has no guidance other than our combined sense of how to build it. I liken it to building "in the air" as one might build a tree house. In contrast this project is exacting and so well documented that one has to respect each and every step of the build. I did not purchase the bulkhead sub kit but started from the raw Lite ply. I assembled the former sections on a 1/2 plate glass that is longer than the former full length to ensure I got the truest assembly. Because of the quality of the ply it still had a slight cup. The bow section even had a bit of cup at its upper reach hence the "strong-back" temporarily clamped  across the body. This turned out to be a convenient location to add a clamp across the midsection of the stem which was sanded to conform as best as I could get it. Still I could perceive a very slight separation once fitted to the former. And as most of you know PVA glue is strongest when the wood surfaces are in good contact.

Joe

IMG_1405[1].JPG

Doesnt that look great!!!  A real good start and glad to see you will have some time to keep going!!!

Another milestone of sorts (at least for me given all the other things swirling around in my life). All of the bulkheads have been dry fitted on the former. It did take more fine tuning of the bulkhead slots as they were a bit undersized and I was looking for a slip fit. As I have learned in the past if this fit is not deliberate the bulkheads tend to twist about the keel center line which in turn leads to further difficulties when installing the gun port timbers.

In addition I would comment on the building board. I was intrigued by a group members approach to the build platform. I adopted Rusty J's method of the build board as I felt it served my needs better. I rebuilt the right angle supports a bit longer so that they could be clamped with my clamp stock. These supports are only used on the starboard side and the clamps ensure the assembly verticality (they needed some shim build out to achieve this). Thanks for the tip Rusty!

As I glue these in, starting amid ships, I will turn my attention back to Cheerful inboard/deck detail while the glue dries. This model has had little attention since the Spring and is begging for forward movement.

I will now proceed to where many of you have already gone. You all are an inspiration to me.

Joe

IMG_1407[1].JPG

Edited by Thistle17

That is very good Joe!!!  You are well on your way. :D

Thanks Chuck it feels good to be moving along albeit at a snail's pace. Again this is not a race but a journey.

I am determined to get this right!

Everyone on this forum whom has shared makes the journey so much more pleasurable.

Joe

A vice I will admit to is tools. I find myself asking "do I really need another tool" and often the answer is yes "I guess". Anyway for what it is worth I bought this Woodpeckers pocket square which is primarily intended to gauge the trueness of the business end of woodworking chisels. Obviously it is one of those tools one uses in the workshop less than often so it has wandered into my modeling tool chest. I have found it to be just the right size for a number of build applications. Here is another I found. I am installing the bulkheads from the middle out to stem and stern so it just requires the removal of the nearest neighbor to fit. The reliefs in each arm of the square allow me to use some of the clamps with lesser throat and it does wonders to square up the bulkhead while glue dries. Albeit a bit pricey it seems to do the job.

Joe

IMG_1409[1].JPG

Edited by Thistle17