HMS Winchelsea (1764) 32 gun frigate GROUP PROJECT INFO

Thank you very much!!!   I have sent you your invite....just accept it and you will have full access.  Enjoy the project.

Looking forward as well Chuck.  Hopefully in a few days I'll get your shipment and start the build.  I wanted to try complete scratch build but would rather use your kits. I tend to think that your laser machine is a little more accurate than my scalpel.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Im sure you could have scratched them just fine.  Its just a time saver.  Thanks for the order.  I appreciate the support.

• 3 months later...

Remember that all group builds and downloads areas are at the top of the page in the drop down.....see below  This also includes teh Winnie group and Winnie downloads area.  I am posting because some new folks couldnt find the drop down menu at the top of the page.  It is also along the right side of the forum as well.  Two places to access them.

group.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 6:34 AM, ErnieL said:

Paid up despite not having the chops to build this. 

Yet.

same here, dunno if i'll have the time in the forseeable future but out of support 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

You guys should try.....to get started with little investment I recommend cutting your bulkheads by hand.  If you could complete chapter one without too much trouble then you can absolutely build it.  Its no more difficult then building and planking any frigate kit.   Its just that this time you will be learning how to plank properly as opposed to the "creative" methods suggested by most kits.     AND although most who do a good job planking the lower hull will want to leave it so folks can see it,  the Winnie was copper plated and that would be a an option if its the planking that scares you.

on the Triton i was experimenting with a "cheat" planking = try to get the main planks as good as possible but use 2 thinner layers ( and then add a 3rd very thin veneer layer to cover up any mistakes)

although i see the logic behind doing it properly from start :)

i'm still 2 months away from setting up my workshop in the new home 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

• 1 month later...

I’d love to do this with you and the gang, Chuck. But I Don’t think I have the bandwidth for this and to complete the Syren. Hoping for another scratch build opportunity with you on the forum soon since I’m still developing my skills!  😊

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chuck,

I just completed the planking on my "Cheerful" model so will not be joining the group to build"Winschelsea" just yet. However I will be following the progress with great interest as she will be my next build. It will be a little while before I can get back to the boat yard as we will be moving from California to Tenassee in July. I intend to build a proper workshop at the new house as I will be spending more time at the bench with retirement coming up.

All the best to the group.

Gerry. 

Gerry,

Very good...i would live to see how your cheerful is coming along.  When your ready for the WINNIE....she will be there waiting for you to join the group.

• 1 month later...

You could try it.  I have not heard of that.  But there is no way to tell until you try it.  It could work well.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:19 PM, Jim Rogers said:

Chuck I was thinking what do you think about air brushing one side of a cedar billet black prior to milling that way your tar line is already done and uniform.

I did that on my Hannah model Jim and the result was too much black (I assume you're talking about for deck planking). Perhaps a grayish black would work better. I think the pencil edge blackening technique is more subtle and doesn't over power the surrounding work. Definitely experiment first and don't forget the finish. You don't want the black paint to run if applying a finish over it.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 6 months later...

rudder11.jpg

I have been asked by a few people this week about the Winnie group project and if it was still open for new members to join.   I am not sure how there could have been any confusion about this but YES....the Winnie group is still open and we are actually getting new members all the time.   Parts will continue to be available in my Syren store as well.   In fact we had quite a run on parts for the early chapters this week from new folks just getting started....

So please do feel free to join in on the fun and you can build it in either Alaskan Yellow Cedar or Cherry.....this group will not be closing anytime soon.  At my last count we have about 60 build logs going on here and at least that many more in addition being built by folks who for some reason havent started a build log yet.

We will wait for you to catch up....LOL!!!  😀

Chuck

DSC00058.thumb.JPG.50e784bb12cc69b63f84eac745ab9fa6.JPG

On 24/2/2021 at 14:42, Chuck said:

rudder11.jpg

Algunas personas me preguntaron esta semana sobre el proyecto del grupo Winnie y si todavía estaba abierto para que se unieran nuevos miembros. No estoy seguro de cómo pudo haber habido confusión sobre esto, pero SÍ ... el grupo de Winnie todavía está abierto y en realidad estamos consiguiendo nuevos miembros todo el tiempo. Las piezas también seguirán estando disponibles en mi tienda Syren. De hecho, tuvimos una buena racha de partes para los primeros capítulos esta semana de gente nueva que recién comenzaba ...

Así que siéntete libre de unirte a la diversión y puedes construirlo en cedro amarillo de Alaska o cereza ... este grupo no cerrará pronto. En mi último recuento, tenemos alrededor de 60 registros de compilación en curso aquí y al menos muchos más, además, están siendo construidos por personas que, por alguna razón, aún no han iniciado un registro de compilación.

Esperaremos a que te pongas al día .... LOL !!!  😀

Arrojar

DSC00058.thumb.JPG.50e784bb12cc69b63f84eac745ab9fa6.JPG

Mr. Passaro, who do not buy a kit and make the Winnie in full scracht, can we upload photos also by joining the group?

Traslator google

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

I'm sure Chuck may have other sources, but I have received very good wood and service from Ocooch..

They show a lot of thicknesses, but Chuck says if you don't see what you want they will help with custom orders.

I have always found their email response to be very prompt..

They have accommodated me when I requested lighter or darker sheets.

Color can vary quite a bit, but when I have placed an order for several sheets, they matched up pretty good within the order.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

That is where I get my Cherry wood.....I am waiting on a large order right now which is in transit.  Once I get it I will make more Winnie installments and ropewalks.

Ethan at Ocooch is very good and accessible....

image.png

I have purchased cherry and maple from Ocooch.  Good quality.  Great service.  Custom thickness as well.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 1 month later...

How feasible would it be to do a scratch build with no power tools...me and my wife are in an apartment so space is tight for any power tools (unless there is a small and less loud version of atleast a mill that someone has a link too) just thinking for future. I feel like this project would be the perfect way to get my chops wet when it comes to scratch builds. I dont see a house in the next 5 years of my life because it's my income only and wife is disabled. I would love to do atleast one of these builds though at some point. 

Probably pretty difficult.  If you dont buy any laser cut parts you will need everything...

Scroll saw,  Table saw,  just to name a few.   If you buy the laser parts for each chapter then you will only need to mill planks from wider sheets.  So a table saw like the Byrnes saw is an absolute must have.  

On 4/21/2021 at 2:14 PM, Chuck said:

Probably pretty difficult.  If you dont buy any laser cut parts you will need everything...

Scroll saw,  Table saw,  just to name a few.   If you buy the laser parts for each chapter then you will only need to mill planks from wider sheets.  So a table saw like the Byrnes saw is an absolute must have.  

Sounds good just wanted an idea might be better to just stick with kits for now. If I did join in I would be getting laser cut pieces for sure. Hopefully if my luck changes a little I'll join in on the fun. 

• 5 months later...

caprailbow2.jpg

Just a quick note to all MSW members....

There have been quite a few new members to the Winnie group who just signed up over the last 3 weeks and are just getting started.   I know many of you might think the group is too far ahead now to join.

BUT  

If anyone is thinking of jumping in, this might be the perfect time.  You will be in good company with several members just starting to make sawdust.

qdeckplanking1.jpg

You can link to the HMS Winchelsea Group Project here.....Click Here

This group is very active and we encourage many more to join in on the fun.  This is a wonderful introduction to scratch building techniques.   You can scratch build this entire project or buy some  portions of it as laser cut parts.  You only buy those parts that you need and if you are comfortable building them from scratch or willing to try, this is the perfect project to learn those skills.

This model is 1/4" scale and plank on bulkhead in design.  The completed model will be 38" long in this scale.

If you have any questions about this group before joining...please reply to this topic and ask away.   

Click here to get access to the NRG store....click here....Its just $15 to gain access to the plans and get started.  It would be fantastic to have you as part of the group!!!

I'm anxious to get started - as soon as I get to a reasonable stopping point with Flirt - by the end of November for sure.  I have the wood and chapter parts, I'm really looking forward to building this beautifully designed model.  Glad to see I'll have both some starting company and some expert models already in progress to follow.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose