Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thanks Dvm27.

im actually building it in the engine room of a yacht. I have a decent little work space for the saw and the model, not much more. I don’t get to make tons of dust like the rest of you do!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the first belt finished tonight, gave it a rough sanding with 120 to clean up all the glue seams and level it out. Tight seams are tough to make especially with all the curves but I’m ok with where it ended up, Lots of learning, still may go the copper plate route as I really like the finish on minerva.

Chucks tic strips he provides are extremely helpful and fit my hull very well, I feel confident in lining off my next hull now. Going to start the same belt on the stbd side next week.

JJ

580F5603-9502-4080-95FF-645E33242FED.jpeg

007D6334-9218-4D02-8466-C36F947A8AD9.jpeg

9984F9F2-7CB1-4E10-AB17-AFFD24E59D08.jpeg

BF227501-BE2B-4619-9AD2-A3B01354DEB5.jpeg

03C54697-933B-4440-A8F6-B34F58CB63AB.jpeg

C9E417B7-B893-469A-AF01-69FF84DB5B98.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

That looks great.  How tricky was the last strake?  It looks like it was in the middle or near the top of the third belt.  How did you decide on that spot?  I’m asking because I’ll be getting there in a month or so and I can’t see it in my mind yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments guys. 

Matt, there was no real reasoning behind the last strake, I just planked the first two belts down and then started from the garboard up. I did plank one more down from the upper belts (2nd belt) to set up a smooth run for the last two strakes, I Then double checked my tick marks again to make sure nothing would look too funky with the last strake.

I just had to spend a lot of time on the last strake, slowly sanding and test fitting several times until each piece fit perfectly, once the piece fit well I just charred the edges and glued it down, it actually went smoother than I thought, I was definitely nervous with that one. Now just a lot of sanding, it’s still very messy.

JJ

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you Chuck and Mike I’m happy with how she turned out but I also learned a lot this first go around and will do a few things Differently the next time. Definitely going to take the next step and line off the hull next time.

 

Got her flipped over today and built a stand using the ply from the bulkheads. Did some clean up on the top sides, fitted the figure head and added some poly to the top sides. Wrapping up the loose ends from chapters one and two and looking forward to starting chapter three very much.

JJ

 

B555D061-A8DA-4720-9A09-ABC8FBC13418.jpeg

69EC4041-3813-4847-8273-06E93622BFF5.jpeg

3C4C3C74-532B-437A-9C1D-51937A8E0E5B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's looking superb JJ!

I really admire your restraint leaving the sanding of the hull until all the planking has been done. I found the temptation to neaten things up a bit by sanding as you go irresistible even though it causes difficulties with the lie of adjacent planks.

Keep up the good work

Fred

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Fred, I actually couldn’t resist in a few places and it caused me some trouble, namely the stern post area, I got them too thin in some areas and I had to actually separate them from the former and space them out a pinch to prevent them from hiding too far behind the stern post. I found the temptation came from the uncertainly of how the planks would look and if they required replacing it would be much easier to do without planks surrounding it.

just about wrapped up and ready to start chapter three, but it’s vacation time now! I feel good about my stopping point.

JJ

 

40AC7331-A5A5-4596-8447-7603B7ABA8A1.jpeg

1FD924E8-3BC7-4E7B-B0DA-9286F5C1B9E4.jpeg

5E5A1809-0823-441A-A7C7-0BA2AE40898B.jpeg

01899BC4-FE2B-416C-9BD5-454CE0D03243.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rusty, as with all vacations it was much too short and I need another one ASAP!

 

So I’m back on the wagon and onto chapter 3, I got the transom placed, the upper counter planked, sanded and a Dry test run on all the windows. So far so good, very happy with the results so far. Hope to get the framing started in the next couple days.

The windows required very minor adjustments to fall in line and will require very little manipulation when it comes time to glue them in place.

 

JJ

62F1DBB9-D0F1-43A3-8F56-1D50A2B467A4.jpeg

69FD3E04-6E06-47A9-98B0-B723476B834C.jpeg

1CB519CF-CED3-4B79-BB18-E57915ADE987.jpeg

413E9068-9B82-4DA6-A243-952646F05514.jpeg

E6D2463E-55AA-460C-80DA-E5756CD8E770.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...