HMS Winchelsea by scrubbyj427 - 1:48

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

So I take it the new owners didn't keep the crew.  Have you lined up a new ship to go work on?  I take it you have a significant maritime resume and probably a lot of options for your next job.

Matt, I actually elected to stay with my current owner, I’ll probably end up on another boat. Problem is I may not have the same size cushy workshop again. There may be plans to temporarily invade the kitchen table soon.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

3 hours ago, Mldixon said:

Nice work, I run Rhino5 also, but prefer Sketchup for quick work. 

Sorry to hear you're having to raise anchor and move. Looks like you got her packed nice and tight for the future. 

Have you used sketchup for hull design at all? I’ve never tried it. I do have a hull developing and hydrostatics plug in for rhino that really streamlines this process. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, Mldixon said:

Any plans to reserect your winnie....

Yes indeed, I've been renovating my home so that pretty much consumes all my time... and money! I’d like to get chapter 6 going soon.

2 minutes ago, Mldixon said:

Lots of cannons and repetition in that chapter.  I spent a lot of time on fluctuating between how to do the lines, I finally settled on just breeching details. 

By the way I really liked the lanterns, great idea and execution..

Ugh I know, I never look forward to rigging guns but it’s rewarding when finished. I’ve been on the fence about rigging  them and sticking with Chucks recipe but then it just gets too tempting and I think I have to do it.

Thanks for noticing the lanterns, once I complete chapter 6 or at least the aft end of it it, I will start with 7 and my lantern production will begin as all my LED’s are loosely awaiting their final positions. I’m toying with 3D printing them as solid units in clear and just painting the details on, they are a small production to make.

Yep, Chuck suggested I only breech, so I tried that, and liked the look. But the .055 rope from his store really sold the package. 

If your printer is resin you'll get great results on the lanterns.

I printed all my cannons and was amazed at the detail. Airbrushed them with a bronze metallic paint over a black primer coat

3 minutes ago, Mldixon said:

Yep, Chuck suggested I only breech, so I tried that, and liked the look. But the .055 rope from his store really sold the package. 

If your printer is resin you'll get great results on the lanterns.

I printed all my cannons and was amazed at the detail. Airbrushed them with a bronze metallic paint over a black primer coat

I think I did the .045” rope, I’ll check out yours again. I’ve been a real cannon snob and I’ve been buying Chucks turned brass ones and blackening them, I’ve been happy with those but the resin ones people are using look great as well.

unfortunately I’ve haven’t invested in a 3D printer yet so off to shapeways I go with this one!

3 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

I think I did the .045” rope, I’ll check out yours again. I’ve been a real cannon snob and I’ve been buying Chucks turned brass ones and blackening them, I’ve been happy with those but the resin ones people are using look great as well.

unfortunately I’ve haven’t invested in a 3D printer yet so off to shapeways I go with this one!

Well, I have an Anycubic Mono, so I just naturally printed my own cannons as it was fairly simple to do. I don't care much for the rotten egg smell from liver of Sulphur so I only blacken when absolutely necessary, hence no brass cannons 

Alright guys, today I plucked my Winnie away from the little resort vacation storage she’s been on and brought her home. Next task is setting up a work space. I see work starting soon! Keep me honest! 

image.jpg

2 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Keep me honest

Do you need someone to come by and chain you to the workbench or something?

It will be great to see more of your excellent work, JJ!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks guys.

haha yes Matt! I need someone to come by and help me establish a workbench that I can then be chained to. I do have a mitre saw handy currently, I may just build one quickly.

Can’t say She gave me any good looks when this thing rolled up in the house. Oh well. Here we go, chapter 6!

F46A4068-1D55-4C4E-9B19-A73CD6EF23B4.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mldixon said:

She looks quite comfortable there, glad she's back into the action.

She will be here for a few more months then back to sea again... for real. I think my Winnie has more sea miles under her keel than the real one did lol!

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Welcome to the land of a thousand eyebolts!  I’m glad to have more company, JJ.  You’ll be amazed at how they add to the deck.

Thanks Matt, it’s reassuring to know others will be participating in the party. I’m Getting started today... I’m going to make a gun rigging jig maybe I’ll have one complete within a week🤞

So I built my rigging jig today, I’m going to assemble all the tackle and metal parts in this jig first and then when everything is dry and stable I’ll carefully transfer one gun and tackle at a time over to Winnie. I think the process won’t be too bad once I get rolling. 

EE9437A3-7344-4A83-A38C-AE03725CAF2C.jpeg

On 2/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, scrubbyj427 said:

Can’t say She gave me any good looks when this thing rolled up in the house. Oh well. Here we go, chapter 6!

F46A4068-1D55-4C4E-9B19-A73CD6EF23B4.jpeg

That setup looks somewhat familiar to me for some reason 😎🤓🤣

Nice going JJ.

2 hours ago, Trussben said:

That setup looks somewhat familiar to me for some reason 😎🤓🤣

Nice going JJ.

Thanks Ben, great minds think alike! I couldn’t resist, it was such a good deal.

• 1 month later...

A suggestion, I think the breaching rope would be a crossed loop at the rear of the gun rather than seized. 

The rigging looks great, the natural flow of the ropes is very impressive. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Very nice job on those guns JJ!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout