HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

Hi all, I'm starting my build log for the new and improved Winchelsea. I'm looking forward to building her here with everyone.

I have yet to decide what woods I will build her in but most likely it will be pear or boxwood. I won't be able to start any

real work on her until late September as work intrudes on my shop time this time of year. What little free time I will have

I'll be printing and reviewing the plans and monograph and ordering up what supplies I may need. 

I'll also have the pleasure of living vicariously through all the builds that start before me.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 month later...

Alright now the overtime is done, a short R&R vacation is over so now it's time to get back into the shop!

Here's a comparison of the 1:64 vs the new 1:48 version of the Winnie. She's a big one alright!

DSC00237.thumb.JPG.2eaa4db0689409ae79340769ddce3016.JPG

First up I made the build board. 3/4" 7 ply 14" x 36" plywood was used. I added two 1" x 2" "stiffeners" to the back side to ensure the build board didn't warp.

DSC00238.thumb.JPG.50e3c98eae5d600b771e5f6c24efe440.JPG

DSC00239.thumb.JPG.3e6f68982993ae4653443647a61d7b5a.JPG

DSC00240.thumb.JPG.b29c1a634dae6a81661651d92d4247a9.JPG

I then made up four sets of brackets from some cherry stock I had available. I made four sets because that's how much wood I had and more is always better right?

DSC00249.thumb.JPG.724475cfd4298961ff03425bcafdc867.JPG

Now that the build board is complete I can start cutting out bulkheads, stem and keel.

DSC00241.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

You are off and running!!!  I am so glad to see you dive in the deep end Rusty.  I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Chuck

I can't wait to start ripping wood. You know it's been killing me these last two months having to wait

to get started and only being able to follow along watching everyone else make so much progress!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, Rustyj said:

I can't wait to start ripping wood. You know it's been killing me these last two months having to wait

to get started and only being able to follow along watching everyone else make so much progress!

You’re still getting in on the ground floor, Rusty.  As far as I can tell, no one is done with chapter one yet and several of us have had to back up a step or two.  I think you’re starting at a perfect time.  I really like that there are so many of us to share this build with.  Welcome aboard, mate!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Hi Ben. I know we talked about another project earlier but when the Winnie came around I had to build her!

Thanks for the welcome Matt. I look forward to building alongside everyone.

Thanks for all the like too!

For printing the bulkheads I purchased a ream of 28lb paper instead the normal 20lb paper. I felt that the extra

thickness would help keep the paper from stretching/distorting when the glue was applied and then pressing

them onto the plywood. Probably overkill but it made me feel better.  I use rubber paper cement from Elmer's

to glue the bulkheads to the lite ply.

DSC00242.thumb.JPG.137094387a858f027f69c362fbf110f0.JPG

To help keep tear out on the back side to a minimum I use a very fine scroll saw blade from Saw Bird. Someone

from here turned me onto them years ago but I don't remember who so I can't give credit where it's due.

I used a double tooth 24 TPI blade that is 5" long and .031"wide x .013" thick. Much finer than a regular blade.

DSC00244.thumb.JPG.30e3e9c6b0ba22704ac8dc8cc0c011a8.JPG

Here is the backside of one bulkhead. It is just as it came off the scroll saw.

DSC00245.thumb.JPG.9f5a2b178b256bb0cfed2ded71ada3d9.JPG

One down and a whole bunch more to go!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I've completed cutting out all of the bulkheads. Nothing to difficult. Just slow going and as you know there's a lot of them.

Next I'll cut out the three sections for the former. Something I do while I'm cutting out the former and while I'm not working

on the bulkheads I always keep a weight on them. Though the humidity is a fairly constant 50% I still don't want to take any chances.

DSC00243.thumb.JPG.f7e35a3dbe2b6da55ef6799a4efc18aa.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Good idea Rusty on weighting them down. My environment is a bit more humid and I have even got in the habit of covering the work in progress with plastic sheeting. Those scroll saw blades do a great job by the way!

Question: I believe you said you were using Birch ply is that correct. Is it Baltic Birch?

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I'm really happy with the blades too. I used the lite ply from national balsa.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Progress continues,

The former has been cut out and the rabbet strip attached.

DSC00250.thumb.JPG.ea7f6ffd9f09dca2e0a0e8f12d262b81.JPG

Next is to cut out and assemble the stem knee assembly and keel.

Here are the parts laid out on swiss pear.

DSC00246.thumb.JPG.9cf4353749b70a912b1fc0c820c11fcc.JPG

Here is the  stem knee cut out and ready for fitting all of the pieces together.

DSC00248.thumb.JPG.a147a21e416d45d6d046101d9251c1f9.JPG

The fun is just beginning!!!!!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Chris. So far pear it is. I thought about Cherry but I had more pear on hand. Thanks for all the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hey Rusty,

looks like Ike we have the same thing in mind, if I build her I will use Pear for the Stem, Knee, Keel, sternpost and rudder, ebony for the false keel, and Cedar for most of the rest - a la my Pegasus build, I love that color combination.

look forward to seeing your progress to give me inspiration 

Ben

Hi Ben,

That sounds like a really nice way to do it. Right now I'm thinking stem and planking all in pear.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks shihawk. I know there are two camps on this. One is the same color above and below the wales and the other is using two different woods. I'm in favor of whatever you think looks good. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

I've assembled the stem, keel and bulkheads. Now you're probably wondering where the pictures of the assembled stem is.

Well that makes two of us. Somewhere in cyber space I would assume. Seeing that the stem and keel are now covered with

blue painters tape I can't take another picture. Sorry we'll just have to wait until the hull has been faired.

Limbering up the shoulders and hands for the numerous hours of sanding. :) 

DSC00256a.thumb.jpg.8aa4055672ce53c279af477a3a03ee39.jpg

DSC00257.thumb.JPG.c50ee825a1480a5abe30584ea5e8b95f.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

After several days of sanding, numerous sheets of sand paper and sanding sticks later the hull is roughly faired.

I estimate I have 12-15 hours of sanding and more than a few Aleve tablets into the hull so far.

After the port framing is completed more fairing will be needed.

DSC00260.thumb.JPG.d236658da917c7540da6bda34ccd0925.JPG

DSC00261.thumb.JPG.fdf03bf336e2c4057262a1a5eeef1bae.JPG

DSC00259.thumb.JPG.cb9dabcf3e69ac96f786662238478bf5.JPG

DSC00258.thumb.JPG.40c97c7192e4980e75f2659d54215e0d.JPG

Here I've started to place the port framing. I would cut and fit several at a time and then leave them next to the former

until I glued them in place. This way I could make several at a time and then glue several in place.

This method helps me not mix them up and keep them in the correct order.

I'll work to the bow and then to the stern. No real reason why just the way I'm doing it.

DSC00262.thumb.JPG.6ebcd9028e28e7bd2a3cf8a04cb3d039.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Superb work. This frigate really has beautiful lines. Thank You for sharing.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thank you Jean-Paul. Yes she is a beauty.

Thanks Jeff, Tigersteve and Chris and all the likes too.

Jim I really haven't given any thought about using a stand or pedestals or whatever way I'm going to mount her.

Thank you for bring that up as it would be smart to reinforce for pedestals before planking the hull.

I think I would locate them somewhere between bulkheads G, I, K and 9, 11, 13. No real reason other than

it looks like a nice distance from the bow and stern.

Thanks Bob. Yes I do remember how much "fun" sanding the interior of the Confederacy was so this

will be even more fun. My shoulders hurt already. :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

Its great exercise!!!!😏 

My right arm will look like Popeye's when I get done! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)