HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

I was a little concerned with the first photo🤣 Glad you’re back at it. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Chuck. It took me a minute to figure out where I was last at. :D

It was great to see you and everyone else. I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years!

Sure thing Joe.

Thanks Bob, Yes I'm itching to have a go at those gun port lids. 

Thanks for all the likes too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Glenn I would wander into the shop to get something and moan every time I saw her covered like that. 

Thanks Ben. Great to be back. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

A little update here. All the gun port lids have been made and painted.

DSC00437.thumb.JPG.748312a88ec4abf12d4736011a705235.JPG

The eye bolts and ring bolts are made and ready to go.

DSC00438.thumb.JPG.04a1a7bb81739a959a594a8010104963.JPG

The the hinges have been cut from wider brass stock.

DSC00213.thumb.JPG.ca8226c2e20f43dbb9ad4c5f1cd480d3.JPG

They have the holes for the eye bolts drilled and filed to shape.

DSC00436.thumb.JPG.cd4f0f12f80a1f5d4fbdb2cce1b6c379.JPG

The tops now need to be filed and shaped to accept the hinge bolt. That's it for now.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thats not a little update.  They take a long time to make neatly.  They look great.  

Chuck

18 hours ago, Chuck said:

That's not a little update.  They take a long time to make neatly

Thanks Chuck, Yes they were long in the making. It's one of those man I've been working

on these for how long and that's all that is done moments. :) 

Thanks Glenn. When you get to that point in your build send the brass.

Can't guarantee the turnaround time though!  

Thanks for all the likes too. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trudging along with the gun ports on the starboard side. They are set in place but the

hinges have not been attached yet. I will remove the three port lids that will be open and attach

them later. Until I make the stand I'll be knocking them off every other day!

On to the port side now.

1634237203_DSC00441(2).thumb.JPG.9e950a9df9711eb06812f1421219dde9.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

lovely work, your work inspires many of us

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kevin, Sorry missed your post. Also thanks for all the likes.

Trudging along slowly. Just got back from a little trip to keep the Admiral happy. :)

I've finished the lids on the port side and heading to the bridle ports.

DSC00444.thumb.JPG.117c0de85638320487dd205f9abb9e03.JPG

DSC00443.thumb.JPG.c252624b41442ab56c2276790a84f29f.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

If I send you some brass will you make hinges for me😂🤣. Really great work, one of the reasons I embarked on my own Winnie. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Chuck.

Hi Glenn, I found fitting the lids more challenging than the brass so no problem!

Also thanks for the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The bridle ports are now finished and permanently in place. I'm glad there aren't any more to do.

DSC00445.thumb.JPG.c16f047f5018445c05fe425b7c3b20ce.JPG

DSC00446.thumb.JPG.a91067585c7f07541acc73d0335c9c21.JPG

Next I'll start on checks, hair brackets and hawse holes but first I had to paint the upper portion of the stem.

DSC00450.thumb.JPG.77418d451436fa29ed5560fb42ec949a.JPG

Between coats I sanded the faces of the multiple pieces with some 320 grit sandpaper.

These pieces are all cut from Cherry wood and part of the chapter 5 package.

DSC00447.thumb.JPG.99923b752c3c78b43c104a9d853f0d52.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Tim and Glenn!

Also thanks for the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Chuck, Its all been fun but now it's onto more fun!

I shaped and added the frieze to the checks.

DSC00451.thumb.JPG.bee4baa3ad5c72a05d936d17590e9160.JPG

DSC00452.thumb.JPG.21d2a4a19404ed84630065d0755e3d6c.JPG

I then started shaping the hair brackets. There are three layers and I started with the center one. I removed the char and rounded the edges. Next I have to shape it to fit snug against the hull and stem. It's hard to see in this picture but I've got a good bit of adjusting to do.

DSC00453.thumb.JPG.2445fb5e9f70ba2b2fb0c8f015a1109c.JPG

Once the inner piece is shaped to fit the two outer pieces will be glued on. There is an etched line in the top piece that will hopefully give me the correct angle for when attaching the hair brackets. Lots of different angles and planes. Gulp. Here I go!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

So far so good I think. On the starboard side I used temporary double sided tape to attach the template.

With this I was able to mark off the location of the cheeks and hair bracket. I had to make some minor

adjustments to the stem and figurehead to get everything in an alignment that I liked. 

DSC00454.thumb.JPG.14cfe1da199458068f60f0c3a4e6ca0c.JPG

The frieze on the checks was left a little long to overlap onto the hair bracket.

DSC00455.thumb.JPG.e0e5e3f3e2d81996ec4e132c89f0db88.JPG

Once the hair bracket was in place I used a sharp scalp blade to cut the frieze.

DSC00456.thumb.JPG.40d5fa11654cd1d2412b60586e8d9c47.JPG

There will be a lot of cleaning and paint touch up once I'm finished. On to the port side now.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Yes Chuck slow and steady it is!

Also thanks, JJ and Vladimir ands all the likes. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Maurice. It's all to the excellent design.

Well I must say I had more time in the workshop these last three days than I did in the last two months. It was wonderful!

There are 3 layers to the hawse hole area. They were clamped on the model and heated to set the curve.

DSC00457.thumb.JPG.c638f3c3f52b6ae43a4de6c4ecd2753f.JPG

After shaping and gluing them in place I sanded the upper cheek and hair bracket to fit the hull curve. You can see how I left the frieze longer than needed. I then over lapped it and using a sharp scalpel blade cut it to match and glued it in place.

DSC00461.thumb.JPG.8c12139b618e3b5c18fd4716adc2d4ce.JPG

You can see the completed overlap and the scroll also added.

DSC00465.thumb.JPG.6c3de01cab36d2be45a25912e10d6570.JPG 

DSC00466.thumb.JPG.f6aab5028216c83fa59b886843d59c9f.JPG

DSC00468.thumb.JPG.8a00be7bd487609864b5bffe3b8f5efd.JPG

I have to yet permanently attach the figure head as I'm worried I'll do some sort of damage to it. Next I'll shape the bolster, drill out the hawse holes and add the knee above the hawse holes.

What a great weekend! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Leaving the frieze long is a simple step but a masterful idea I’ll remember. 

did you use the fruitwood gel on your figurehead?  It looks great, for me it seemed to cake on so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong with the thick gel stain. 

Regards,

Glenn

11 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

did you use the fruitwood gel on your figurehead?  It looks great, for me it seemed to cake on so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong with the thick gel stain. 

Glenn, I used the Fruitwood gel stain. If you brush it on and then rub it off with your thumb, it won't "cake". Just leave enough on to get a change of color. You would be putting it on very thin so maybe two applications would be enough. Btw; using your finger to rub it off is a good way to leave the majority of the color in the recesses of the figure. It will give the figure a more three dimensional look.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey