HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

Thanks Bob, I hope you are holding up well!

Also thank for all the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Ben. Very appreciated!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

I received chapter 3 laser cut parts in cherry from Syren today and I must say they looked great online and are even more impressive in person.

DSC00137.thumb.JPG.7f89210849320a1a4f5dec625f5d0dd0.JPG

Now the quarter galleries fun begins!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I've cut the transom out of 3/64" thick stock. This is the third attempt and it seems it was the proverbial charm.

First one the scroll saw went a wee bit out side the lines. The second one succumbed to heavy handed me.

I rough cut it on the scroll saw leaving the lines. I then fine tuned it with knives, files and sanding sticks.

DSC00139.thumb.JPG.eeda3d2c81321bdd2142063df7b617ab.JPG

DSC00140.thumb.JPG.a7370718d12a8129400f2f58bc36d132.JPG

I've clamped the transom in place so far the fit doesn't look to bad to me.

DSC00142.thumb.JPG.6b82c9179b793f7e01ac4560624f64bc.JPG

DSC00141.thumb.JPG.fad484c0f0bcc678d472f3bd66cf7f2c.JPG

Before I permanently glue it in place and plank the upper counter I will test fit as many pieces to see if there are any potential issues.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Jorge and thanks for all the like too!

I've glued the transom in place and the filler pieces have been placed on top of the transom to cover the two layers. They are 1/64" thick!  

DSC00147.thumb.JPG.5ca7fbfad1aa6513f479ccb690e262e1.JPG

I've also placed the quarter galleries window.

DSC00149.thumb.JPG.337beb608c39281de9184dad2110b225.JPG

The starboard side framing has started. The two pieces have been temporally placed with rubber cement as I check them out before permanently gluing them in.

DSC00146.thumb.JPG.22b9351c4fb61c4c6dcd3fe991ba0ddd.JPG  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

15 hours ago, Chuck said:

Take your time with those qgalleries.   They are tricky buggers.

Oh don't I know that. I must say I like the changes you've made to the v2.0 qgalleries over the ones we did in v1.0.

Thanks  nzreg. I've downloaded all sorts of pictures from various build logs and continuously bounce between them,

the plans and Chucks directions. I'll still mess some up but hopefully will keep it to a minimum.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I'm tinkering with scrapping the moldings for the qgalleries and stern. This is the third attempt

and the first worth posting. The molding is 1/8" wide and 1/32" thick.

DSC00153.thumb.JPG.604062c1b988966df901e046575c6af1.JPG

The picture isn't real clear but I think this is close.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

She looks really beautiful this molding. Very nice work.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

On 6/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, Rustyj said:

temporally placed with rubber cement

I like your use of rubber cement to check things out, yet another of your practices I’ve stolen, I mean adopted. Beautiful work!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

another of your practices I’ve stolen, I mean adopted.

Thanks Glenn. I've been "adopting" everyone's practices here for years.

Thanks Jean-Paul and all the likes too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I've placed the molding across the stern under the windows. I've also shaped the tops of the qgallaries and

temporarily tacked them in place as well and glued the molding to the lower portion of the qgallaries.  

Excuse all the dust and shop debris in the background. :) 

DSC00159.thumb.JPG.114863be71b3b143712836a044c92e5b.JPG

DSC00156.thumb.JPG.c97ddf654875ed14ab58a8ee89876492.JPG

DSC00157.thumb.JPG.74cf823f733525c4dffb4f31c0d32d28.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fred. With summer upon us you will probably go roaring past me in no time.

I've framed in the windows for the qgallaries. The window frames as well as the rest of the

chapter three parts that came from Syren are first rate. Not that it comes as any surprise.

Chuck includes extra window frames and lucky for me as I had one casualty.

DSC00162.thumb.JPG.d1947e52be85b3333db55ee675a4b6bf.JPG

DSC00164.thumb.JPG.0e5ae3850678564e4cc12361fd2098b8.JPG

As I said it's busy the summer time with home projects so progress will definitely suffer.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Mike! Having fun when I can get into the shop!  Also thanks for the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

14 hours ago, Rustyj said:

've framed in the windows for the qgallaries

The galleries look really excellent. Great detail and craftsmanship. I would have needed more than one extra.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

DSC00164.thumb.JPG.0e5ae3850678564e4cc12361fd2098b8.JPG

That gallery is coming along really well.   The cherry blends in with the Pear perfectly.   Well done.

Thanks Glenn!

Thank you Chuck. Yes they go together very nicely. If I didn't already have the pear I definitely would have done her in cherry.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I've added the Syren laser cut fluted columns to the qgalleries and sanded the slope for the roof.

DSC00167.thumb.JPG.b86dad31a332212c9331b1c8a13a3fd0.JPG

DSC00168.thumb.JPG.6d69e41765d68a9a21c6b75600a8440a.JPG

I've also made a test run of the shingles for the roof sticking them in place with rubber cement.

I just wanted to familiarize myself with the placement prior to gluing them in place.

DSC00170.thumb.JPG.d3103b5a56405d56abf0b0d9f6462943.JPG

This size roofing shingles are much easier on the body though I'm having a hard time finding a nail gun in this scale!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Funny....it looks great.  Just remember to sand each row of shingles down even thinner after they are glued and dry.  They should be very thin...before moving to the next row.  In addition, measure the width of the entire area to be shingled to see if its consistent.   Because the angle of the roof changes the area to be covered will change as well.   Try and keep the area to be covered by shingles the same on the aft side and the fore side.  And finally....leave just the smallest of space between each shingle.  This way after you paint them.....if you are going to paint them I mean, you will have defined shape for the shingles.

That shot with the supervisor also presents an interesting perspective.  It looks like the model  is at least 1:10 scale..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks Chuck. Yes I plan on painting them black and use some weathering powder. I'll

definitely sand them down and try my best to balance them! 

Thanks nzreg, She had her walkies and needed a nap! When she's awake she's usually asking for a treat.

Also thanks for the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

9 hours ago, Gregory said:

That shot with the supervisor also presents an interesting perspective.  It looks like the model  is at least 1:10 scale..

Picking that hull up and moving around makes it seem 1:10 scale too! Thanks

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Incredible work Rusty, the level of detail is amazing. 

Regards,

Glenn