HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

Thanks Reg. Yes the pear and cherry work really well together.

Thanks Glenn. Big is and understatement! I worked with Cheerful right in my lap. Not this time. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Work has progressed on the stern and I've completed placing all of the figures etc.

I can't say enough about the quality of the castings. Now I just have to finish placing

the drops and the two figures on the quarter galleries.

DSC00028.thumb.JPG.38c80c2b60914acd282db15b61e320fd.JPG

DSC00032.thumb.JPG.18fc19b8b045b85286397e0d94b780d7.JPG

DSC00036.thumb.JPG.a50e43a1bde275e6da5efc0e547ce9fa.JPG

Now in other news.... a year and a half ago our other shipmate passed leaving our Westie as

the sole assistant. The Admiral decreed that a new shipmate must be acquired. After months

of searching a suitable replacement was found and arrived this week. She is an eight week old 

miniature schnauzer.

Now some may be wondering why I'm putting this here in my build log? The Admiral knows and

supports my ship building hobby but other than the Constitution I don't think she could name

any other model I have built over the years. So when the new shipmate arrived I inquired as to

the name she had chosen and this floored me.

Everyone meet Winnie!!!!! :D

IMG_0290.thumb.JPG.8e6b50d6bb79f23938d3fb59d31c62ae.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here's where I'm at now. This update is a good news bad news type of update.

The good news is the quarter galleries, drops and figurines have been placed,

although some paint touch is needed, chapter 3 is complete!

721581088_DSC00027(2).thumb.JPG.536eeff7ea251c463c08931a9edfe407.JPG

336372821_DSC00026(2).thumb.JPG.a75976cf61bd5f63ace296da53caf83a.JPG

Now the bad news portion is that you will notice that the window frames have been removed from the galleries.

This was intentional as the acetate had not been placed on the inside. There will be a lot of sanding and dust

would cover the widows and they couldn't be cleaned. Plus it protects from accidentally damaging them

as they are fragile. Well having them in place while I glued some of the quarter galleries parts in place allowed

me to get a good fit but also allowed me to unknowingly allow glue to creep onto the frames and gluing them

partially in place. :default_wallbash:Of course as hard as I tried I broke some taking them out. Soooooo new frames have been

ordered from Syren and they will be placed in the safe until needed later in the build!

So please all of you don't follow my example!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That is looking so good Rusty, the combination of the timber colours are nicely complimentary to each other, your workmanship is the kind of standard I work for.

Re your window problems, I damaged two of them before taking steps to make life easier.

Firstly I removed the windows from the sheet they are cut from. Glue a piece of card on the back of the sheet making it into a tray to hold the frames.

Finally I placed the frames on a piece of glossy card and gave them all a drink of WOP. This seems to lock the fibres together making the frames lots stronger, the frames wont stick to the glossy card if you move them every so often, simply replace the dry frames into the tray for safe keeping.

Hope this helps🤔

Reg

Thanks Reg. I had applied WOP prior to setting them in place. I think I'd have needed to soak them in epoxy for them to survive. The new ones are on their way and I'll stash them until it's time for the final installation.

Also thanks for all the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Jeff!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I'm puttering around in the workshop while waiting to start chapter 4. The biggest decision will be deciding

what to plank the decks with. I'm contemplating AYC, Holly and Boxwood. I'm going to cut up some

scale planks and see how each looks. Once I decide I can start milling what I need.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I wish I had a stash of boxwood and holly. Do you have a source or still working off a supply from Jeff😄

I think holly makes for a great deck, but both AYC or boxwood will make a nice contrast with the hull. You are an inspiration with this model. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glenn,

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I wish I had a stash of boxwood and holly. Do you have a source or still working off a supply from Jeff😄

Still working off a stash from Jeff.  I dread the day I have to start looking for new wood.

In the past I've done decks in all three woods and liked them all. Just have to decide what to do with this one.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Here's the test planking. Each section has one coat of wipe on poly. 

Holly on the left. AYC in the middle. Boxwood on the right.

DSC00048.thumb.JPG.1f4360398791e90b3cdd19e43f41dd1d.JPG

I'll ponder for a little while as I won't be starting chapter 4 for awhile.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Is that pear on the right?   Looks dark for boxwood.  The cedar would compliment the carvings and friezes better and tie in with them.   The holly may be too light.   But using Pear would keep it all consistent. I personally like the decks the same color as the hull planking but thats just me.

You need to thing about how the deck fittings would look against the deck planks if you use pear and and paint most of the fittings down the deck.  Its a tough decision.  One I anguish over all the time.

4 hours ago, Rustyj said:

test planking

Even your test planking is quality work. I like the deck light than the hull, the AYC looks amazing, but I have a current bias for that wood. I’m sure whatever you choose it will look great. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

Is that pear on the right?   Looks dark for boxwood.  The cedar would compliment the carvings and friezes better and tie in with them.   The holly may be too light.   But using Pear would keep it all consistent. I personally like the decks the same color as the hull planking but thats just me.

You need to thing about how the deck fittings would look against the deck planks if you use pear and and paint most of the fittings down the deck.  Its a tough decision.  One I anguish over all the time.

Yes it's boxwood. It was cut from an old scrap piece. I looks darker in the picture than it really is. I agree the Holly is too light so that's out. 

I was thinking that with the bulwarks painted red, hatch combings black as well as the stove using a different color from the hull wouldn't look as drastic.  Will the bits, pumps, railings, binnacle be painted too?

Here is a pic with the samples on the deck. Pear is on the far right now. Excuse the covering as she was all wrapped up for protection until I start on her again.

Glenn, I too favor AYC but it may be too light too. 

I probably won't make a decision until the false deck is in and the bulwarks planked and painted, then I can get even more confused!

DSC00050.thumb.JPG.cbd6456d7ed7436e5202511dc210db2a.JPG

Thanks for checking in!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I would go with the boxwood or pear.  

all that stiff is painted either red or black.  Like the contemporary model.  Picture this with the addition of gun carriages painted red also.

image.png

Can’t go wrong. Boxwood does look good...but so does pear. So I’m officially no help except I agree holly is out. 

Regards,

Glenn

Oh I really get what you mean after looking at the picture of the contemporary model! Thanks Chuck.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Holly is too light. For me pear is too similar to the hull. My heart swings between the cedar and the boxwood. But perhaps, with AYC the contrast  will be too pronounced ?

Boxwood seems to me to be the right choice. But that's only my opinion...

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

4 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Nice to see you have a new canine assistant, every shipyard should have a dog (or two) 🙂

Yes it's nice to have a second shop assistant although the two almost never agree! 😉

Thank you all for your opinions. It's deeply appreciated. I have been cleaning and reorganizing the shop 

in anticipation of starting chapter 4. In doing this I remembered that I had overcut the 1/4" pear needed for the hull.

So I pulled it out and there is more than enough pear already cut to plank all the decks and still have some left 

over. Can't let it go to waste so I'll be planking the decks in pear! It's like I subconsciously knew I was going to 

do it this way when I cut them. I'll go with that as opposed the the shop assistants who think I just screwed up. 

Oh and they both agree on this point!

Here is some of the unfinished pear planks just laid on the deck.

DSC00051.thumb.JPG.a52d5d317c613f75ece3ec4f8ba43e52.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Chris. Your opinion is always appreciated. 

Also thank you all for the likes. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

While waiting to start chapter 4 I've been doing some prep work. 

I've planked the fore and aft sub decks with pear.

DSC00054.thumb.JPG.9981d7fd09853e8aa2efc2fee52b183e.JPG

DSC00055.thumb.JPG.f3cc0dbf6f0a2fb0506f7526c24fa812.JPG

Then I sorted through the pear I'm using to plank the deck. I've tried to get pieces with the most consistent color.

Even so you will notice that the color can change over the length of a strip so I'll have to pay attention!

Spare planks are in the sleeve on the right.

DSC00053.thumb.JPG.6cc9c7248cb139939d1c23c6c0e52f80.JPG

The inboard bulwark planking will consist of 3/16", 7/32, and 1/4" planks. They have been cut and seen below.

DSC00056.thumb.JPG.d2d569e705e6a468e0d6e95cf72c04df.JPG

After that I glued together 1/4" and a 7/32" pieces which represent the two rows under the gun ports.

I placed them on a piece of 1/32" to simulate the thickness of the false deck.

I then checked the gun ports and found that most were right on. Whew!

DSC00057.thumb.JPG.e2fc60f424165b7fc15dce58a7ad0904.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)