Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,


I've been plugging away a bit at a time on chapter 4.


After fitting the laser cut and etched false deck I added the first layer of bulwark planking. The fore deck clamp needs

to be bent and with the cutouts for the deck beams can make it fragile. I carefully bent it around the outside of the hull

and then heated it with a hairdryer and let it cool. After all of the first layer of planks and deck clamps were in place I

confirmed that the Captain's cabin paneling was starting in the correct location I marked the fore edge and then added

the second layer of spirketting.






I have painted the bulwarks but still have a few more coats to go. Once I've finished painting I'll add the Captain's cabins paneling.







Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The fun continues.


The panels for the Captains Cabin were placed with minor adjustments. The inboard stern

counter was planked and then the margin planks were placed next. They required a little

more work on my part. I took paper and cut a template of the curve at the bow and transferred

it to sheet stock. I then marked the inside curve and the cut it out and final fit it. Scarph joints

were cut and then the margin planks were added. After the margin planks were added the

checkered floor was sanded to fit.














Whew now I'm on to building the hatches. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt. Yes closing the bulkheads always makes me happy!


Thank you JJ and Chuck. Having a lot of fun.


You're welcome Glenn. Wish I could tell you who passed that onto me a long time ago.


Mast partners and hatches are coming along. 


Thanks for all the likes too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chuck. Also thanks for all the likes.


In the chapter 4 parts there are laser cut parts for the mast and capstan partners. 




I was feeling creative so I wanted to see is I could reproduce them in pear. I used Chucks parts

as a guide for cutting. First I drilled two holes the same size as the originals. One extra for each size.

I figured it was easier to cut them on the full sheet to minimize the chance is splitting and cracking.

I cut them on the table saw and then used the disk sander to get them to the correct size. I then

cut the remaining pieces to size and assembled them.










Next I'll start placing the hatches and partners on the deck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've now set the hatches and partners in place. I tried real hard to keep them centered. Time will tell.






I elevated the capstan partner by 1/32" as called for. 




I also forgot to include a pic of the waterway. It's 3/64" x 3/64" with one side rounded off to a quarter round molding . 

Tips of the finger took a bit of a beating from the sandpaper. ;) 




Next up will be planking between the hatches and lining off the deck for planking.


Thanks for stopping by!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark and Sjors. Sjors I've been following your Flirt and you're doing a great job on her! Also thanks for the likes.


On to planking the deck. I planked her using pear wood. No big surprises, just follow Chucks directions! ;)


Here you can see the start of laying the first center line plank and the the filling in between the hatches etc.








Then came the tabs around the hatches. You can see how I started figuring the cuts and just kept making small cuts and sanding until a tight fit was obtained. More pieces than I care to count went into the waste bin!






Here all the tabs have been completed. Planking the remaining deck came next.









First coat of wipe on poly going on. Brings out the colors nicely.












Whew that was a lot of fun!



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...