18th Century Armed Longboat by SomethingIsFishy - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - Small - first build

It's official, I'm gonna start making sawdust! I ordered the kit Saturday, and got tracking info this afternoon... I might be a little excited... 

I've been reading other ALB logs, and checking out the planking articles, but it's a bit fuzzy... I'm thinking things will probably make more sense once I have the kit on my work desk... I'm more of a hands-on learner with stuff like this...

I will probably want to put a sail on the boat (I prefer the look of models with sails, they look naked to me without them). Not sure if the kit mentions anything about sails, or if I'm gonna have to figure it out on my own...

Can't wait to start the build!

I have a keel! I found a couple clear pictures of the deadwood area in a few other build logs, and just started carving until it looked like the pictures... hopefully it's good enough... just waiting for the glue to cure, then I can start glueing the frames! I've also begun cleaning up and priming some of the metal bits...

IMG_4547.JPG

I really like getting off work at 3:30... frames all mounted! I chose to follow Arthur Wayne's example and use 1/8 square strips to brace the frames, seems like a good idea to me...

Yes, frame #1 is too low, I will fix it once the rest of the glue dries to avoid throwing anything else out of alignment...

IMG_4549.JPG

20 hours ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/13442-sail-design-for-18th-century-longboat/

The information in this thread would be applicable to this boat, right? If so it gives me some good info on adding sails...

I should hope so, otherwise that’s a very misleading thread name 🙂

Ahh I missed that on the first read through (I didn’t actually click through to the build log). I’m a novice, but aside from scale they certainly look like the same boat to me as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Good to hear!   Welcome back!   Looking forward to some new posts.   Fairing isn't my favorite process either...   sometimes perfection is the enemy of progress.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the likes!!

I’m really getting back into this! I recently discovered that they still make those balsa and tissue rubber powered airplane kits, so I built a few… then I got to thinking “I’ve got that boat kit sitting on my desk downstairs, maybe I should pick it back up”. Suddenly progress happens again!

Keep up the good work its looking really promising, I find its all about setting small targets to achieve each one you mentally treat as a 'model'  that way steady and sure progress without that feeling 'will i ever get this done' feeling LOL LOL 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Very true! When I look at the whole thing I think I’ll never get it done… but soaking one plank, clamping it up, letting it dry, and glueing it in place is pretty easy… can’t eat the whole elephant at once but if you just keep taking manageable bites you’ll eventually get there…