HMS Bounty 1783 by Robert1377 - Artesania Latina - 1:48

Funny you should ask this.  On my current build I did just that.  But you need to use plenty of glue and work fast.  After I glued all the ribs, I then added glue to the false deck and started @ the front to the rear, setting each rib into the corresponding deck slot.  Weight added on top of the deck and left to dry for 24 hours.  Everything straight and level.  No issues with a rib not lining up.  Worked for me.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Hey Robert! 

I just started a build log on this site not too long before you. I am also building the Bounty, however, my ships hull was all one piece and I have made great strides in my build so far. I look forward to seeing how this build progressed and wish you the best of luck! 

Thanks for the information Robert. 1:48 may explain my question about the tapering of planks towards the stern. May I suggest, and this is sounding as if I am a moderator of this forum, which I am not 🙂, that you to your title of the log add manufacturer and scale (although it is not mandatory) according to:

How to Name your build log?

We have a "Build Log Naming Convention" to enable the Search Engine to sort them Alphabetically by "Ship's Name" and/or "Builder's Name".

We urge you to follow the guidelines below to make this work properly. If you don't, a Moderator will do it for you anyway - so you may as well get it right first time and save us the trouble.

To Edit your Build Log Title - simply go to the FIRST post of your Build Log and click on the Edit button in the bottom-right corner. The Title Box is at the top in the Edit Box.

This is how your Build Log Title must be set up for Static Wooden Ship Kits :

HMS Victory by Fred Bloggs - Caldercraft - Scale 1:75 - 1805 as she appeared after Trafalgar - First wooden ship build

The first section in RED is MANDATORY and must be done EXACTLY as shown to enable correct Sorting by the Search facility. Use your Username exactly as it is registered.  Note there are SPACES either side of the dash following your Username.

I am now a follower of your log (don't feel the pressure). Remember that we are very friendly and positive at MSW. Questions can be asked and advice will be given. Hang on now Robert!

Kind regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Thank you Henrik

Being new to this I am still trying to figure all this out. I do appreciate your help!

Another question I have is the dilemma I am having with mainmast step. As per picture attached do you drill into the mainmast step or square off the mast itself. I marked the mast just in case since I will not be able to get to it later. What would be the proper install.

2DCAF351-F038-44B7-8320-2F015A41A1B8.jpeg

square off the mast because although it is the way it is done, it avoids movements in the mast.

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Hey Robert,

Im building the same kit myself, and funnily enough i posted the same question in my build log about the mast foot.

I decided to square it off as it felt a more secure fit as Cpt Poison says.

As for the ribs, i glued all mine in place doing my best to square them up with packers etc as i went, taking the sizes between the slots on the keel as good.  The bottom deck fitted fine, but i did have some slight alterations to do on the second decks frame slots for it to fit properly. Been a while now, but i think it wasnt so much my ribs were out, more slight differences in the slots on the ply deck sections.

Edited by Trig

Current-

HMS Bounty 1:48 by Artesania Latina

Finished-

Gjoa by Constructo