HMS Winchelsea by Beckmann 1/48

A little of both.  You must fair the outside so you get a nice curve port to starboard.  Once done you should fair inboard and reduce the thickness....but you dont have to thin all the way down.  Just the top of the transom pieces should be 3/32" thick and they can get gradually thicker.   

• 3 weeks later...

It looks very good actually.  But as you say...you will see more when you start planking.

Chuck

It’s hard to tell Matthias, it does look like the angle on the plan, but I don’t think Chuck ever shows them from the same perspective angle that you have, it does look like you maybe took too much meat off the “thickness” of the beveled tops.... do you have a photo you are referring to? Or take a shot from the same angle as his and then compare? Or Chuck - take a overhead shot?

Edited by ASAT

Ooops..  Beckmann beat me to it..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Is that yours or Chuck’s? Looks like yours, now we need one from Chuck to compare? Your trapezoid on top looks just a hair too “pointy” but I think it is fine.... it’s one of those things you can obsess about now and at the end of the build it wil just blend in with all the cool things your eye is drawn to......

Edited by ASAT

That looks pretty good.  The angle looks a little severe but not that much.  It should match the curved angle of the hull more or less....its why I laser cut three sets of parts for folks.

But it looks pretty good.  You might get a gap between your chock and bollards because of the difference in thickness with your plywood.  You will need to make some adjustments before you glue them into position.  Either make a wider chock....or build up the sides of your plywood filler pieces.

DSCF5514.JPG

My model doesnt have such a severe angle I will try and take a photo for you soon.  But have a look at the contemporary model....you can certainly see a decent angle to the bollards.  I am not crazy about the shape of the top of these though.

Chuck

Here is a photo taken with my phone.  They are a little dirty and banged up but I will clean them up before painting.   Hope this helps.  They are very tricky pieces to make.   

bollard.JPG

Indeed it is.....It is exactly why I supply three sets.   They always come out better the next time around!!!   Well Done...

Congratulations on finishing chapter one. Well done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Your work looks great.  I am glad you redid your bollards and I look forward to following your build as you get into chapter two.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

20191117_235737.thumb.jpg.b039d2803d83c242d20ab7c8d07e29c5.jpg20191117_235557.thumb.jpg.d5bcc8cfa2d689b484b9505a6c768a5a.jpg

This weekend I did some planking. 

I sometimes doubt, whether I took the right strips. I used 7/32" x 3/64". I cut 23 of them. That will be enough for 4 planks in each side. But the 5th on top of them should be the same one or not? Taking 2,5 planks for one length, I used already 20 strips. The remaining 3 strips will not be enough for a 5th. row. With wich plank are the wales doubled up later on?

Yes five are 7/32” wide. They constitute the wales and black strake.  The measurements are written on the plans. right on each strake.  Dont worry about doubling up right now.  That is done later.

it looks excellent!!!😁

I just read, that the second layer for the wales is 7/32 x 3/64 as well. So I will need another 20 planks of that size. I will have to place an order for more 7/32 sheets soon. So it is altogether 48 strips of that size. (The material list says 23 strips) I hope, I didn't misunderstand anything. 

Edited by Beckmann

No you are correct....my mistake.  Its really tough keeping track of what you use.   Yes two 7/32" sheets which is what it says on the materials list....but three would probably be better to be safe.  Its 23-24 strips per side.  My bad!!!

Here we go with my ivory experiment. As I said above, I use some old piano keys, wich are about 100 years old. 20191126_211142.thumb.jpg.60703657941ee2e5bb340fbdf8e8d7a8.jpg

I had to clean them, for they are very dirty. Then I made a CAD-drawing from the windows. An old woman! who runs a  laser-cut-company nearby made the cutting for me. It was not easy, because eather the ivory gets yellow or it doesn't cut through the material. But she did a good Job and this is the result. What do you think?20191126_210934.thumb.jpg.31d362033a8ffe569e2490015aa1086d.jpg

20191126_210846.thumb.jpg.c24fd75eb09efedc6b80f7daff47f79d.jpg

20191126_210810.thumb.jpg.a416f9a3d2c33db676fc53cd7950555c.jpg

The upper side withe the laser char.    

20191126_210751.thumb.jpg.97b3ba0fc303fab10e597fd430d5ee26.jpg

the backside without the char. I am not shure, which one I prefer.

The little fence for the quarter gallery broke into pieces when I cut it lose. It is just too delicate. 

20191126_210903.jpg

Brilliant!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Very nice result! I wonder if you could pressure wash the char off  those windows without breaking them? 

Sorry about the fretwork. Makes it all the more impressive that model shipwrights did those 300 years ago with a jewelers saw and files!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752